Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EJB

First Few Months Playing

I started a thread after my first ever “real game” a bit back, but it was lost in the switchover, so decided that I would start another with an update of my first few months in Rookie League.

Have been around the game & on the ice for 10+ years with the kids, including a little coaching. My son has been telling me forever that when he turned 18, his expectation was that we would play beer league together. So with his soon arriving 18th birthday, I decided that I better collect the rest of my gear(only had skates, helmet, gloves, sticks ect) and get skating at a more competitive level & signed up for the Rookie League. My knowledge of the game(positioning and play) is better than my feet/hands. Just try to get the puck where it needs to go & minimize/avoid mistakes. I also picked up a few extra years in the Spring when my son hooked up with the University of Utah Skatin’ Utes in the ACHA.

I’ll start saying I feel fortunate that we have something set up like this to get people on the ice in a game/team situation without having to get picked up by someone. You sign up, are assigned to a team and play in the Rookie League until you decide to move out, find a D League team to play for(assume by meeting others from the Rookie League). Many players play in both.

My team seems like a good bunch of guys, welcoming me day one, which was big, as I had some anxiety when walking in that locker room for the first time. I just play where I’m put, usually a wing, but can play on the blue line as well. Feel like it’s more of an afterthought, though expected, I’m new. Having a ton of fun and look forward to every night on the ice. Stick and puck & drop in are fun, but I feel like actual games are that much more fun. It's been GREAT.

Had maybe my only unfortunate experience last night. The lines get a bit jumbled in the 2nd due to a penalty and we just rolled with them through the period. At the start of the 3rd, we went back to the original lines and a guy had a meltdown. He was actually my original line mate(right wing to my left wing). He came off the ice with about :30 left in the 2nd, the guy I had been playing with in the 2nd, went in, I. Period finished with the left wing never coming out, no big deal. Went back to the original lines we started the game with. Rotated, as we do each period, we were positioned for 3rd shift and he melted down. Said he was being shorted. I said, no big deal, I’d actually be sitting like 4…who cares and he was having none of it. 3rd is started and he’s saying “we have to fix this.” Finally I said something to the effect of “It’s *$%#*#! Rookie League, Christ” and that was that. Guy wouldn’t talk with me the rest of the game and when going through the lines after, made a point of not shaking my hand. Maybe he had a bad day, no big deal, but all the same….really, not shaking my hand? Meh, this stuff happens, hope it doesn't carry over.

All in all, has been a great experience and wish I would have done this 10 years ago. Also wish they had 2 nights play or more, assume that will come when I hook up with a D League team. Love this game.

P.S. Added bonus, my ‘05 daughter who plays travel(last year with a Squirt boys and Pee Wee girls) was giving me a post game breakdown of my play and things to improve on….I smile thinking about it.

Sounds like a great situation overall. As for the guy with the ice time, it's hard for me to judge without knowing if there is a history of this happening to him. I have seen teams where certain guys always seem to get shorted every game and other guys that feel like they are getting hosed if they don't skate half the game (or more). In my opinion, you handled it the right way.

I recently just started back and joined a team that was work specific. I'm the new guy and I rotate on my line. While I would like more ice time, I'm the junior guy and in no way a Wayne Gretzky. I'll get more time as my play improves and I build seniority with the team. Keep doing what your doing and enjoy the time.