Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Virginia Tech STAR rating system being developed for hockey helmets

Consolidation in this case would provide the best end result. Similar to the crash test ratings for cars, if HECC CSA and VT got together and combined their testing to form one entity that uses all testing methods and presents one all-encompassing rating they would have the best result.

Consolidation in this case would provide the best end result. Similar to the crash test ratings for cars, if HECC CSA and VT got together and combined their testing to form one entity that uses all testing methods and presents one all-encompassing rating they would have the best result.

That would be great but won't happen.......HECC and CSA already do work together very closely. But VT being the school and having the Grant they have woulndt ever share that money that would be silly on their part.

HECC and CSA testing is ineffective and borders on being counterproductive. It focuses on impact dispersion, great if you have people skating all-out into the boards and are concerned with skull fractures but largely irrelevant when it comes to concussions. Obviously some of that impact dispersion is required but the focus should be more about cushioning the head and slowing the deceleration that comes with the impact. That is where the VA Tech testing has the potential to help reduce concussions.

That would be great but won't happen.......HECC and CSA already do work together very closely. But VT being the school and having the Grant they have woulndt ever share that money that would be silly on their part.

Right, not only that, it's not really in their purview to 'join forces' here, as it were. This VT group are about publishing research and, I'm pretty sure, consulting from the basis of their results.

Sometimes, a lot of times, it's good for a new tree to start in the same domain as an existing one, in order to further the state of the culture. If it were to instead be a branch off of the existing tree, its would likely suffer from existential crises owing to an unnecessary burden to prove itself in the eyes of the larger tree. It's the benefit of competition, arms races, etc.

HECC and CSA testing is ineffective and borders on being counterproductive. It focuses on impact dispersion, great if you have people skating all-out into the boards and are concerned with skull fractures but largely irrelevant when it comes to concussions. Obviously some of that impact dispersion is required but the focus should be more about cushioning the head and slowing the deceleration that comes with the impact. That is where the VA Tech testing has the potential to help reduce concussions.

You are incorrect. That is just part of the whole process. It involves materials being used it involves testing methods in it involves so many different aspects. Including now coming up with a science based testing method working with the makers that will test for rotational impact. It just evolves slower due to the funding. But it is being done.

Has a release date for this study been published? I've googled and come up with nothing more specific than Fall 2014.

My CCM V08 is due for replacement, but I'd rather do so after reading this study.

This is an interesting and necessary topic...Unfortunately, the aesthetics are going to be everything for hockey players in the pros which will ultimately determine the retail market for youth.

Look at the Itech helmets of the 90s, think the helmet from the Mighty Ducks movie. I had one in every color they made, I am a hoarder by genetics, and faced constant teasing as a result of having the "bobble head" helmet. They were massive in comparison to the stylish helmets Bauer and CCM were putting out. However, they had a true suspension setup on the inside of the helmet that prevented your actual head from making direct contact with the foam in the helmet. Allowing the helmet and foam to actually perform their function and disperse the shock into the helmet and not the head. Some current gen helmets have started adding a slight suspension system and trying to limit the amount of contact your head actually makes with the inside of the helmet but they aren't there yet.

Ultimately, Itech stopped making it because it was ugly and wasn't adopted by the pros thus not resulting in retail sales. It is about time we start seeing some real world studies being done in the hockey market for this.

With one of the sports biggest stars like him or not, Crosby, having some serious issues with concussions it is only a matter of time before the industry smartens up and makes a helmet that protects against concussions not just bumps and scrapes.

This is an interesting and necessary topic...Unfortunately, the aesthetics are going to be everything for hockey players in the pros which will ultimately determine the retail market for youth.

Look at the Itech helmets of the 90s, think the helmet from the Mighty Ducks movie. I had one in every color they made, I am a hoarder by genetics, and faced constant teasing as a result of having the "bobble head" helmet. They were massive in comparison to the stylish helmets Bauer and CCM were putting out. However, they had a true suspension setup on the inside of the helmet that prevented your actual head from making direct contact with the foam in the helmet. Allowing the helmet and foam to actually perform their function and disperse the shock into the helmet and not the head. Some current gen helmets have started adding a slight suspension system and trying to limit the amount of contact your head actually makes with the inside of the helmet but they aren't there yet.

Ultimately, Itech stopped making it because it was ugly and wasn't adopted by the pros thus not resulting in retail sales. It is about time we start seeing some real world studies being done in the hockey market for this.

With one of the sports biggest stars like him or not, Crosby, having some serious issues with concussions it is only a matter of time before the industry smartens up and makes a helmet that protects against concussions not just bumps and scrapes.

There is one large issue. There is not a helmet on the market that will ever protect against a concussion. Period. That is impossible.

It would be nice if a helmet were able to possibly reduce impact but again seeing as MOST hockey related concussions are rotational impacts that is highly unlikely.

Not for a second am I saying that it needs to be stopped in the search for one but lets not be foolish thinking a helmet will prevent or deter from getting one.

As for the VA study and hockey all companies related to hockey think the testing they are doing (as they tried to duplicate it) is a bunch of BS. It has no bearing on how the game is played nor are the hits in his testing related to hockey hits. As per the testing as it is now not one helmet would pass the VA testing....not one!

I think we are all waiting on more details on the testing protocol.

The results are very interesting. In Warrior's case, you have two helmets with the same shell but the difference is the absence of VN foam on the LTE, and thus got a lower rating.

That all being said, if VT outlines what would constitute a 5 star helmet and convey that back to the manufacturers, then this is a good thing. The more research, the better.

Although, this is going to be a rough time for retailers - we've already had inquiries on the 360 from customers in the past 3 hours.

• Like 2

How does VT correlate a particular helmet to the number of concussions likely in a season for a player wearing that helmet? Not every player plays the same game with or without reckless abandon. I find that conclusion of helmet model to number of concussions per season a bit of a scare tactic that the public won't take the time to read and think about. "I read it on espn.com. It must be true."

Also, after watching the video on the top of the article, the dad of the 8th grade daughter that allowed his daughter to play a varsity level high school game(against players possibly 3-4 years older than her) is the one responsible for putting his daughter at risk. "Risk reduction" was a key phrase of the VT researcher. This dad did nothing to evaluate that. And finally, the helmet his daughter wore is 7500 NIKEBAUER helmet!!!! Refresh my memory: when exactly did Bauer buy Nike? What year, best case scenario, could that helmet have been manufactured in? That helmet was probably old when he bought it new for $70!!??? Sorry, but his particular situation slants the video quite a bit.

• Like 1

Also, after watching the video on the top of the article, the dad of the 8th grade daughter that allowed his daughter to play a varsity level high school game(against players possibly 3-4 years older than her) is the one responsible for putting his daughter at risk. "Risk reduction" was a key phrase of the VT researcher. This dad did nothing to evaluate that. And finally, the helmet his daughter wore is 7500 NIKEBAUER helmet!!!! Refresh my memory: when exactly did Bauer buy Nike? What year, best case scenario, could that helmet have been manufactured in? That helmet was probably old when he bought it new for $70!!??? Sorry, but his particular situation slants the video quite a bit.

That was my first thought when watching the video. At best the helmet was made in 2008?

How many parents will now buy Crown helmets that don't fit their kids because they are "safer"?

That's what I've been telling my staff. All things being equal, the head shape must fit the helmet. That is key.

You saw the same thought with the M11.

You will see a surge in demand for Krown helmets, I'm sure.

• Like 1

A running theme on MSH is the best helmet (or any other equipment) for you is the one that fits your head best. I've tried on several different helmet models recently while searching for a replacement. Each of them fit differently, but I could tell that because it was my head. How do you get the same feedback from the crash test dummy head when you're setting it up? Did they account for fit?

• Like 1

Curious to see the push back from the helmet companies saying the testing was flawed or will they accept and adapt to it going forward.

Edited by hollowicked
  • Like 1

Her helmet is def a 7500. In the video, it is stated he bought the helmet two years ago. She suffered her concussion December 2014. That mask looks rusted as well. Who is to say if she was properly fit for the helmet? Was it sold as a combo and perhaps the mask did not fit properly to her chin? In any event, if your head hits the boards in a game and you are wearing a helmet, there is a 100% chance of a likely concussion.

Also leaving the manufacturers out of the testing equation protocol has pros and cons. Initially, I think more cons than pros. A collaborative effort might have been more productive in the short term. Now there will be a quick reaction by the manufacturers in order to douse the flames, rather than to effectively evaluate the results gained together among them. I have already received two emails today from manufacturers explaining their position as a result of this article.

Her helmet is def a 7500. In the video, it is stated he bought the helmet two years ago. She suffered her concussion December 2014. That mask looks rusted as well. Who is to say if she was properly fit for the helmet? Was it sold as a combo and perhaps the mask did not fit properly to her chin? In any event, if your head hits the boards in a game and you are wearing a helmet, there is a 100% chance of a likely concussion.

Also leaving the manufacturers out of the testing equation protocol has pros and cons. Initially, I think more cons than pros. A collaborative effort might have been more productive in the short term. Now there will be a quick reaction by the manufacturers in order to douse the flames, rather than to effectively evaluate the results gained together among them. I have already received two emails today from manufacturers explaining their position as a result of this article.

I agree on your points. The helmet would've been a 5500 if it was NBH, but I digress. Good point on the emails, I'll ask my boss to see them.

• Like 1

Hockey is a different sport though and I feel there's a lot of things you can't test for. Not saying that advanced testing and manufacturer cooperation/learning won't go a long ways, but the sport is faster and harder hitting than football.

Making the helmets larger, to incorporate more padding for impact dispersion, could very well result in more whiplash type concussions due to the extra mass.

I'm in favor of doing as much as possible to reduce concussions, and I think having a scale for that is a good thing overall. I wish that HECC had been rating helmets on something other than pass-fail for years, as well as publishing the data.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; helmets prevent fractures, not concussions.

There's nothing wrong with trying to prevent both, if you can. However, I am not a fan of the fear-mongering style of the ESPN report.

That's what I've been telling my staff. All things being equal, the head shape must fit the helmet. That is key.

You saw the same thought with the M11.

You will see a surge in demand for Krown helmets, I'm sure.

Had a woman come in today and buy three Krowns specifically because of this article.....thanks, ma'am! Haven't sold one of them in months.

Edited by EBondo