Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

z1ggy

Looking for mid curve, lie 5 w open face

Having trouble finding mid curves that are of lie 5 with an open face. Currently using a Gionta (toe curve) but I think I want to switch back to a mid curve. I know Easton does make the E36, which seems to be my only option right now. That kind of sucks too because generally I look to buy sticks on discount for maybe 40-50% off, and not spend over $100-$115, and it seems like the E36 is really only available on their more expensive options right now.

I'm also not willing to use a different lie, or a mid-heel or heel. I'd maybe entertain the mid-toe which I think is what the E28 is pretty close to.

Lie 5 P92 comes to mind, or the Iginla clones but those aren't very open.

Not too many options that are true mid and more than a slight open face. I think because that combo makes for an awkward curve. I feel like it's hard to do much of anything with a blade that is curves and twists open at the same point.

Warrior"s Henrique and Bauer's Backstrom (P92) are both available in lies of 5. The Easton E3 is close with a 5.5 lie.

Trouba pattern for Sherwood is a mid-toe lie 5 you might want to look into. Its becoming increasingly available as he becomes one of their main faces

Stick 9, I believe the Warror Lie system is on a different scale than Bauer, Easton, etc. In Warrior, I use a Lie 4.

Stewie thanks, I will look into that. Can't find it though on the blade pattern chart on HM.

McDugan, you are 100% correct on the lie 5 P92. It's just tough to find on the non-high end Bauer's right now.

And for what it's worth if I had to pick one thing that I was dead set of keeping, it's the lie. I was using 5.5 lie (Easton) forever but I was noticing a lot of times passes were going under my blade a lot. So I switched to a Lie of 5 and my pass catching improved dramatically. Maybe it was placebo, but I tend to think it made a difference. I also used a mid-heel curve over the winter that only had 3/8'' to it, and I loved it for passing but I couldn't shoot with the thing at all. So I'm open to anything mid to toe, but I just can't shoot from the heel very well.

Stick 9, I believe the Warror Lie system is on a different scale than Bauer, Easton, etc. In Warrior, I use a Lie 4.

True, and I hadn't given it much thought seeing as I went from a Warrior Draper (which is now the Henrique) to the E3 and didn't really notice a difference, sometimes using both in the same night. Worth a look though.

Seems like I could pick up the Easton synergy 40 stick in the E28 and/or the E36 pattern for $80. I'll probably do that before I spent bigger money on these sticks.

HM is behind on Sherwood patterns. I will do some digging later and get you a link with info on that curve, but it's a newer Sherwood curve that started at some point on the EK15

Seems like I could pick up the Easton synergy 40 stick in the E28 and/or the E36 pattern for $80. I'll probably do that before I spent bigger money on these sticks.

FYI - looking at the E28 in person, it's not as open as the E3.

I just watched a video from HM last night comparing E3 and E28. They really don't seem all that different other than the curve in the blade starts closer to the heel on E3 (obviously) and the E3 has less curve in it's toe, so the face is naturally more open.

I'm in the same boat as you. I need the Lie 5 because I carry my hands low. And like you, passes seemed to go under the toe when I was using a Lie 6 and that problem is absolutely gone with the Lie 5. Finding sticks is hard though. I prefer Bauer but that leaves me the choice of P08 which has too much curve and PM9 which is just a heel wedge. I've picked up P92 L5's when they come up on eBay but that's the only way of getting a deal. Does anyone know if all Bauer L6's are created equal? I was hoping that P14 L6 may not have been as upright as P92 L6. Unfortunately none of my local shops have any P14's to compare with.

So I've been pondering trying out an APX stick, too. I can get a L5 P92 curve in 77 flex which pretty much is exactly what I want. Will that stick be much better than my Warrior Diablo I have right now? I'm guessing yes, but it's $170 on HM right now...that's usually a lot more than I spend on a stick. I can still grab the Synergy 40 for like $80 in E28, but I doubt it will perform better than my Diablo.

The Diablo is a very good stick and although it was second from the top of the line when released I think it compares very well with top of the line stick. I've used an APX before and use a Diablo as my main stick for roller right now and actually prefer the Diablo. I wouldn't count on the APX being much, if any, better than the Diablo. I do think you're right about the Synergy 40 not performing as well as your Diablo. If you like the dagger taper technology then maybe you can find a closeout Covert DT2. Hell, the DT1ST sticks may also be on clearance as well since the new QR1 was just released today.

Hmmm, yeah the DT2 is 50% off right now. Looks like they have 75 flex Gionta's in stock. Still, I'm tempted to pay $80 for the E28 to see if I like it. It looks to have a bit more curve and open-ness than the Gionta (from looks). If anything, I'd pay a little bit more for the DT1 LT because they currently seem to have the Yakupov in stock in my flex. Since I was looking for more of a mid-toe anyway, I think this would be perfect. The whole reason for this thread was because I wanted a bit more curve in my mid blade because my wrist shot is very flat since I went to the toe curve. My snap is doing much better, but wrists became weak and fluttery.

Man this is the time where I wish I lived closer to hockey monkey.

:D well that's a given! Obviously the first thing anybody should do...For whatever reason I can't seem to get a good shot with it. I don't know what I am doing wrong really. Snaps are fine because I use the toe anyway. Is there something specific I should be doing different with a toe curve coming from a mid?

Is there something specific I should be doing different with a toe curve coming from a mid?

Other than completely changing your shooting mechanics, no.

It can be tricky to find a good release point. The first time I used a heavily rockered blade, I had that fluttering wrist shot and saucer pass (though if you're having it with the Gionta, that shouldn't be the problem because it doesn't rise to a higher lie at the toe). After a while I tried releasing heel to toe wrist shots and passes at the point where the toe began to lift off the ice, and then it was golden. Maybe just try out different release points on your blade.

Other than completely changing your shooting mechanics, no.

hahah well...I used the hall/sakic curve forever, but then I realized I needed a low lie due to the way I skate. It just happened the first lower lie blade I tried was a toe curve, and I liked how the control felt with it, but wrist shots just havent been the same. What mechanics should I focus on? I have open ice tomorrow and I'll have 2 hours to practice my shot.

Easton now makes their e3 with a lower lie. It's the same thing as the bauer p92 lie 5. Bauer p14 is listed as lie 6, but there is definitely more blade on the ice that a lie 6 p92. I went from p92 to p14 and really liked it a lot better. No more pucks under the toe.

Also, I bought a pro stock easton v9e off eBay for cheap. It's similar to a p14 but with a lower lie than bauer p14. It's some dude named Fontaine stock.

Take a peek at the warrior Chara (lie 5) I think it is similar to the E28? Maybe different than what you want but

If you can learn to use this curve, it is a sniper. Your wristers will be sick.

Watch this:

hahah well...I used the hall/sakic curve forever, but then I realized I needed a low lie due to the way I skate. It just happened the first lower lie blade I tried was a toe curve, and I liked how the control felt with it, but wrist shots just havent been the same. What mechanics should I focus on? I have open ice tomorrow and I'll have 2 hours to practice my shot.

Start with the puck to your side, hold the puck in the "pocket" of the blade, press down slightly as you pull the puck in to you a little bit and follow through to the target. I don't like the method that Easton has been pushing where the puck comes off your stick in the middle of the shot, but the basic motion works well when simplified. You basically just pick the puck with the curve at the toe and fling it at the net. By starting the puck even with your feet (or behind, as I prefer) you have it on your blade longer and can control the puck easier while you transfer the power to the puck.

Easton now makes their e3 with a lower lie. It's the same thing as the bauer p92 lie 5. Bauer p14 is listed as lie 6, but there is definitely more blade on the ice that a lie 6 p92. I went from p92 to p14 and really liked it a lot better. No more pucks under the toe.

Also, I bought a pro stock easton v9e off eBay for cheap. It's similar to a p14 but with a lower lie than bauer p14. It's some dude named Fontaine stock.

So on HM is says the E3 is lie 5.5. You're saying it's actually a 5? Or not quite 5.5 but still more than 5?

Start with the puck to your side, hold the puck in the "pocket" of the blade, press down slightly as you pull the puck in to you a little bit and follow through to the target. I don't like the method that Easton has been pushing where the puck comes off your stick in the middle of the shot, but the basic motion works well when simplified. You basically just pick the puck with the curve at the toe and fling it at the net. By starting the puck even with your feet (or behind, as I prefer) you have it on your blade longer and can control the puck easier while you transfer the power to the puck.

Yeah I think my problem is the "pocket" on the gionta blade is close to the toe, where before I was used to it being mid. Practice is all. I didn't plan on buying a new stick soon anyway, but I'm def entertaining the idea. I'd like to stick with Warrior I think, (W28 curve) but I'm willing to try the E28 later down the road or a p92 if I can find a lie 5 one (Nexus 1000, APX, etc)

I went from a toe curve to the Hall/Sakic. I did notice more puck control and better passing with the deep toe curve, I didn't like the way it shot. Switching to an open face mid curve was pretty much the best of both worlds.

Imo, stick with the curve that works for you. Experimenting with curves can get expensive. If you are dead set on it, get yourself a two piece.