Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sjs0433

How to kindly turn away players on your team

I've been made captain by not much more than dumb luck and someone had to be. Other than one other guy I'm the most veteran to our team. The team has been mostly the same for the last year. I have a few guys that I'd like to drop from the team as we seem to be stuck in terms of making any farther in playoffs or growing as a team. These are guys that don't seem to be getting any better and will likely always be stuck at their current skill level (I also don't feel like these players have any desire to be better).

I've been trying to figure out how to remove these players without being an a-hole. They are all nice guys but I'd like to see us be a better team.

Any recommendations speaking from experience?

Btw, this is for roller hockey and a typical roster is only 8 guys. One or two players can make a HUGE difference for the team.

I have been in this spot and I think you just need to be honest with them. I had this issue last year with 2 guys (brothers to make it worse) and 1 will probably never talk to me again, the other he understood and still skates with us when we have rentals or things like that. There is no good way!

Considering that you say they are nice guys and the team has only been "mostly the same" for a year, I don't think it would be fair for you to do this without giving them a shot on the team with you as captain for one season. if everyone gets along and enjoys playing together, I don't really see why a team team needs to change. You're a rec league captain, not a GM, you know? Maybe talk to them and ask if they would rather play down a level or have interest in pushing further before just cutting them.

Maybe I could see it being OK if it's a situation where the entire rest of the team identifies these two guys as "the problem" or they're not well-liked. But even then though, if that's your first action as captain, it doesn't set a good tone. If I were one of the guys remaining on the team and you cut these two without consulting everyone (and even that is questionable because it requires going behind guys' backs) I'd feel weird about the possibility of me being next.

yeah I agree with McDugan, in my case these guys played on the team for years and it was not just their play that got them asked not to come back. Maybe since you are a new captain to the team, you should express your interest in bettering the team, and that everyone has to step it up for the team to improve. Maybe this will make them change their play, but maybe their attitude (since you said you didn't think they wanted to get better).

If you can find a team for the guys you want to drop who will take the players that should help. No one wants to be stuck with no place to play.

Unfortunately, you will be seen as an a-hole trying to remove them. For most people,rec league is SUPPOSED to be fun. Either do it not, but you will not be seen as a nice guy if you're cutting these guys, plain and simple. When you are asked to leave something, it will be taken as personal as it personally affects the people in question. I am not trying to be harsh here.

The question is this: how important is winning to you? If winning is more important than not being seen as an a-hole, detach yourself and kick off those team members. Tell them that it's team-first and wish them luck with their next team. 9/10 people who have been cut take it personally to some degree unless they knew that they were WAAAAAAAAAY out of their element, then they are relieved. Just be prepared for the possibility that they may get on a team in your league and be SUPER motivated to school you and your team when they play against you.

Again-not trying to come off as harsh; just speaking from experience. I have schooled every team or band I was kicked off/out of and actually use those experiences to better myself, albeit with a HUGE chip on my shoulder. You may ignite a fire...

If you can find a team for the guys you want to drop who will take the players that should help. No one wants to be stuck with no place to play.

That would go a far way to not as many hard feelings. Good idea.

In my opinion, unless the team should be moving up (in which case, you should do so and leave them behind - a situation I'm very familiar with), or unless they should be moving down a division, I don't think it's right for them to be cut if they're playing in the correct division for their skill level. That would mean the problem is YOU (the team), not THEM. Hopefully that makes sense as well as it did in my head :)

In my opinion, unless the team should be moving up (in which case, you should do so and leave them behind - a situation I'm very familiar with), or unless they should be moving down a division, I don't think it's right for them to be cut if they're playing in the correct division for their skill level. That would mean the problem is YOU (the team), not THEM. Hopefully that makes sense as well as it did in my head :)

I understand- cut the slackers IF and only IF you are moving up.

The thing is, as harsh as I sounded in my original response, the only way to weed out the slackers is to move up; they would be relieved most likely being cut in a situation of moving up a division.

Wow that would be a total dick move to try and find a day of the week that does not work for them. Man up and talk with them don't do some pussy shit like that. I would be all for giving them one more shot with you as new leadership. Maybe they have a problem playing hard for the old capt and will play harder for you. Also if you do decide to cut them I would be damn sure that it was just them that was holding the team back and not anything else that could back fire on you. Whatever you decide to do, do it with honesty and integrity.

I've been running my team with another friend for about 14 years. We never cut a guy because of ability. This is beer league hockey and friendship is more important. If the team gets btter by attrition and moves up a level guys that are having trouble usually leave on their own. Don't be "that guy."

I play on a team with mixed talent levels. It can definitely work out, as long as your not an ass about it, but if this isn't the situation you want, If you want a more "competitive" mens league team, then just let them know up front. don't jerk someone around, find ways out. In the end we are all men, act like one.

As for me, I enjoy the company and guys on this team. I could move up a talent level, but I am not guaranteed a group of guys as good as this, so I try to make everyone around me better.

There are 6 other days a week to join a more "competitive" team, but on Sundays im just lookin to have fun.

Wow that would be a total dick move to try and find a day of the week that does not work for them. Man up and talk with them don't do some pussy shit like that. I would be all for giving them one more shot with you as new leadership. Maybe they have a problem playing hard for the old capt and will play harder for you. Also if you do decide to cut them I would be damn sure that it was just them that was holding the team back and not anything else that could back fire on you. Whatever you decide to do, do it with honesty and integrity.

That's what happened to me. The captain went around the room asking what days would be a conflict (knowing Tuesdays I had my other teams games) and then he scheduled their games on Tuesdays.

I joined another team in that league and we smoke those guys with regularity :)

Open and honest communication. Tell them what you AND it must be the entire team are trying to do. If they see they aren't fitting into this plan or have no plan on improving, it should be their decision to leave. They normally make that decision any way.

You must be playing for the cup or a ton of cash to cut guys in beer hockey. If they are nice and class guys keep them even if they cannot skate. Any thing else is a stupid move. Never cut but okay to bring In a ringer on occasion!

Have fun, pass da puck, take the short shifts, beer on your turn. Invite all to the annual fishing trip. Good karma will come your way.

Are you guys really that good anyway?

Depends on the ringer!

Only the ones on the other team, the ones on your team are OK in most cases.

I've been running my team with another friend for about 14 years. We never cut a guy because of ability. This is beer league hockey and friendship is more important. If the team gets btter by attrition and moves up a level guys that are having trouble usually leave on their own. Don't be "that guy."

That is my philosophy as well. The only time we have ever cut anyone was when the majority of the team complained about his personality/behavior. About half of us left my first beer league team and set up a new team, that was as close as we ever got to cutting multiple people.

You can tell than that you have a few previous players returning and there isn't enough room for everyone.

Depends on the rest of the team... If one day works well for everyones schedule except one guy, why punish the rest of the team for the one guys needs? It sucks having to "cut" people