Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nealoc187

Has anyone ever successfully made a white skate mostly black?

I tried searching but only found info on gloves. Tried googling too and only found figure skate stuff.

Has anyone successfully made a white skate mostly black? I hate white skates, but white One.9s are a pretty good bargain right now.

Spray paint, plastidip, dye, something else i'm not thinking of? Anyone ever tried?

I tried searching but only found info on gloves. Tried googling too and only found figure skate stuff.

Has anyone successfully made a white skate mostly black? I hate white skates, but white One.9s are a pretty good bargain right now.

Spray paint, plastidip, dye, something else i'm not thinking of? Anyone ever tried?

yup. All Flash made his MX3's all white. https://www.dropbox.com/sc/4gjtg15o0o6nods/AAB8ny_ARx_iNI6KLwkhRqrQa

I used enamel spray paint on my skates (MX3's white/ RBZ's black). I am currently looking for a more forgiving durable rubbery kind of paint with good adhesion.

Not my cup of tea, but All Flash, you did a really nice job on them.

Wow, those are some frankenskates--RBZ's with Bauer tongues and Tuuks?!

I used enamel spray paint on my skates (MX3's white/ RBZ's black). I am currently looking for a more forgiving durable rubbery kind of paint with good adhesion.

Hard to beat the fiebing's dye on leather parts.

Have you tried Krylon fusion on the synthetics? May not adhere to the holders, but should adhere to the quarters.

Not my cup of tea, but All Flash, you did a really nice job on them.

Wow, those are some frankenskates--RBZ's with Bauer tongues and Tuuks?!

Hard to beat the fiebing's dye on leather parts.

Have you tried Krylon fusion on the synthetics? May not adhere to the holders, but should adhere to the quarters.

Thanx........ Have not tried the Krylon Fusion, but have been eyeballin' it my last few trips to check out different

combos and brands.

what about car interior paint says it for plastics dash etc says it wont chip or peel

This would work better than the Krylon Fusion. I've found it to be underwhelming.

have the people who painted the skates sanded them first si there is something for the paint to really stick to? I have been wanting to try this as well just seeing what steps others have taken with success

Two thoughts,

Montana spray paint is a specialty graffiti offering that you may need to order or find at an art shop, but it is acrylic based so it should be more flexible and rubbery since its plastic based.

Kiwi shoe polish compound for natural materials could work. Obviously it would wipe off of a composite quarter.

what about car interior paint says it for plastics dash etc says it wont chip or peel

It would work pretty well on vinyls.

This would work better than the Krylon Fusion. I've found it to be underwhelming.

It doesn't stick well to polyethylene or polypropylene. So-so with nylon. Works pretty well on aged plastics, but not newer plastics that still have a lot of plasticizer leaching out.

It works well on vinyls--keep it thin.

Hit the auto body shop and buy some adhesion promoter if you really want paint to stick to plastic (like toe caps).

Seriously, there's a guy on PHEW who made his One.9s black with the vinyl wrap and a heat gun and they look fantastic. If you paint it, it's going to chip. Vinyl will be much more durable over the long run.

Seriously, there's a guy on PHEW who made his One.9s black with the vinyl wrap and a heat gun and they look fantastic. If you paint it, it's going to chip. Vinyl will be much more durable over the long run.

You're going to need some serious skill for this one. Use that heat gun on low haha. This wouldn't chip no, but you could encounter entire sections peeling up from poorly trimmed vinyl edges as well as contact with skate steel.

Always keep in mind, if you're going to paint ANYTHING for longevity you need to do serious and regimented sanding prior to priming, and also throughout layered light coats of paint. Coats obviously need to be allowed to fully dry before sanding so give yourself a lot of time and the proper working conditions/temperatures for the job. You will not ever get quality results with paint unless you work slowly and carefully.

The killers here are the temperatures changes on and off ice matched with abrasion. You may have to use multiple mediums i.e. a solid paint job, then covered by a tough (not to be confused with strong which most usually means brittle), layer of hand picked epoxy.

Alpinestars makes vinyl graphic packages for their dirt bike boots. They hold up okay, but when the boot flexes it causes bubbles over time which leads to premature failure. I'd be concerned about durability if that method were applied to hockey skates.

My comment was directed towards skates in general. A stiff boot definitely would help with durability. However, even with top of the line composite skates, tying/untying the laces does flex the quarter package to some degree.