Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MisterSkates

TPS Adrenaline vs "technology"

So, I found 2 TPS Adrenaline twigs dirt cheap on HockeyTron and had to have them. Being how old they are, I knew they would be goodies, but man I didn't expect them to be better than my current rods. The TPS's feel like butter when stick handling; its like the puck sticks to the blade. But when I go to shoot there is a nice pop and kick. I had been using an APX and still going through all of my Mako's. Has anyone else had a similar experience liking an old school stick more than all the current stuff? I wish I could buy a dozen more, especially being at $40 a piece.

Ya....the TPS sticks were GREAT. The Adrenalines were second to the XN10's if terms of performance. I probably used closed to 20 in college, and I am not hard on sticks.

Enjoy them.

Zach

At least with the QR1 they are trying things to get the stick to snap back into shape faster (aka kick harder)....definitely a good start in the right direction.

Zach

Other than reducing weight a bit, yeah, stick technology hasn't really advanced much in quite a while.

Agreed. But the key phrase was "trying." Ever since the original synergy companies have thrown so many gimmicks at consumers that were supposed to increase kick; o-stick, novius (now marketed by warrior as "axy sym"), tri-flex (stiffer middle, softer top and bottom, now used in the nexus and SW T series), dagger taper, eliptical taper, ribs, etc. The QR1 isn't the first "attempt" at increasing kick.

With each company releasing new sticks a couple times a year that doesn't leave too much room for any innovation. we are basically getting a new paint job and a "promise" this years stick will make you shoot harder, get girls and become better looking

Adrenaline was an XN10 with an extra kevlar wrap if I remember correctly and I still have two XN10 shafts that I use from time to time. I also had one of the adrenaline grip sticks (alfie pro stock) that I used as a shaft for a while too. Those had a Sims vibration reduction insert. If you like the Adrenaline, the STX Stallion should be on your list to try. It's probably the closest in terms of kick and feel that I have found. As you can see, I was somewhat fond of the TPS stuff.

tpsonly.JPG

What is the easiest way to pop the blade on these things? Cut the paint, apply heat, and pull? Or am I better off cutting and chiseling? Trying to make a lefty into a shaft

NEVERMIND- Popped them out with 5 minutes of a heat gun. Beauty

Heat worked pretty well for all of mine, though the adrenaline control was a little more difficult than the others.

Stick technology has gone nowhere in 10 years.

Uh...You're forgetting two extremely important words that reebok introduced to the OPS game: Speed Holes

Good to know about the STX Stallion.

I don’t understand why these companies don’t offer up the old school sticks as LE runs. Was SherWood who ended up acquiring TPS?

Good to know about the STX Stallion.

I don’t understand why these companies don’t offer up the old school sticks as LE runs. Was SherWood who ended up acquiring TPS?

They had the rights to the TPS hockey name, I don't know if they still have it or if it was leased out to another party. I have heard rumors but have not seen anything come to market.

The truth with regards to the owner/ownership of "TPS" is as follows:

TPS is a registered and trademarked brand of the Hillerich & Bradsby Company (H&B) out of Louisville, KY. They owned and ran a hockey division, first called Louisville Hockey, and subsequently called TPS Hockey.

In or about 2006, H&B decided to get out of the hockey business and licensed the TPS Hockey brand to a new company out of Canada called TPS Hockey.

This new company bought all existing product and assumed rights to the patents that H&B had for hockey products.

The company operates for a few years and eventually, went out of business/filed BK, and was subsequently purchased by Sherwood.

Sherwood negotiated license rights with H&B until they decided to no longer license the brand in/around 2012.

Thus, the owner of TPS Hockey AS A BRAND is still H&B.

Not true, but, I don't think that the stick technology would not have been able to be duplicated by Sherwood.

Hell, Sherwood's beating their chest about a sub-400g stick in 2013/2014 when TPS had that in 2003!

Adrenaline was a piece of crap because of the Kevlar. It didn't perform anywhere near how the XN10 performed, was far heavier, and the SIMS Speed Stop wasn't attached to the stick properly. It was a blundering mess!

Bauer is doing something with the resin for their new sticks.

working with resins, this excites me =)

Had guys from the University of British Columbia pick my brains years ago about how sticks work and how they could apply this new resin they had invented.

They said they wanted to sell it to a hockey company.

I wonder .........

Oh memories..........

I hated the Adrenaline, but I think my hopes were a little high because I loved the XN10 and I liked the Redlight CS2(kevlar)'s ridiculously good durability while still being lightweight. The Adrenaline was a step backwards for TPS...but then again just about every company made a wrong turn at some point. The SMU chrome XN10 OPS from hockeygiant actually felt more like Adrenalines than XN10s and plenty of people liked those so your experiences may vary.