Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brutal_sar

Profilling and radius etc

Hey just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on profilling an radius etc..

I'm in Australia and nobody knows about this stuff down here, I recently purchased some new runners and I had to take them interstate to get them profiled, The new runners are LS3 and they are replacing the Fusion runners on my nexus 1000's. From my research it seems that the fusion runners have a radius of 9ft and the LS3 are 10ft. I told the guy I would like to try a profile with a slight forward pitch, he recommended 35/65. I had read that a lot of pro players use this profile so I decided to go for it. After skating on them I'm not sure if I like it or not, it kind of feels like I'm wearing speed skates, it's very hard to turn, I was expecting them to feel different but not this different, my skates are size 7, what do you guys think of this profile with size 7 skates? And am I skating on a 10ft radius? Or does the 35/65 profile change the radius? Also... I quickly realized that I will have to change from 7/16 hollow to 1/2 or maybe even shallower...

I know 35/65 is a CAG number that's an automatic profiling maching and I don't know much about it. I also wear a size 7 I skate I'm APX2s with LS2 runners and there a 9/10 combo radius with a slight forward lean and I get great turning ability and great straight line speed as we'll that's why I like a combo radius alotta people have a more extreme combo like 7/13 but I've always used 9/10 and I don't like to change things if there working for me.

Also... I quickly realized that I will have to change from 7/16 hollow to 1/2 or maybe even shallower...

Try this and see how your turning is affected before tinkering further with the radius. I'm not an expert on profiling, but if I'm not mistaken in what I've absorbed from reading a few threads on this board, you'll feel more ease in turning with less bite in the ice. To get the feel you want or are used to, if you change the length of steel in contact with the ice you'll likely want to adjust the depth of your bite to compensate.

To find those other threads, I always turn to Google's site specific search, just enter "profiling site:modsquadhockey.com" which will return get results only from here. It's super fast and if you change your mind and want to adjust your search after browsing the results you won't get locked in flood control for 5-seconds.

Thanks for the replies, I am definitely going to try 1/2 inch hollow next time, I will try searching and reading the forums also, but would be great if one of those profiling gurus would see this post and reply with some advice, I have now had 2 skates on the new runners and they are feeling a little better but still strange, I just want to make sure that I'm not trying to skate on a stupidly huge radius or a profile that is not a good idea for size 7 skates, I'd also just like to understand more about blade profiling in general.... so would be great to hear from those who know about this stuff

Hey buddy, I had the LS3 blades, they come in a 10 foot radius, so they will feel like it's harder to make sharp turns on them. I got mine profiled to a 9 foot radius and they felt amazing.

Thanks for the replies, I am definitely going to try 1/2 inch hollow next time, I will try searching and reading the forums also, but would be great if one of those profiling gurus would see this post and reply with some advice, I have now had 2 skates on the new runners and they are feeling a little better but still strange, I just want to make sure that I'm not trying to skate on a stupidly huge radius or a profile that is not a good idea for size 7 skates, I'd also just like to understand more about blade profiling in general.... so would be great to hear from those who know about this stuff

A 65mm CAG flat spot is pretty long for a size 7 skate. See if your guy can redo it at 30/40, I think you'll like that better. It performs similar to a 9' radius.

CAGs put a flat area in the blade. So for example a 25/50 would be 50mm of flat spot with 25mm on each side of centerline. A 35/65 is 65mm flat with 35mm forward of center which causes the skate to lean slightly forward. The more amount forward of center, the more the lean.forward. When a large flat is put on a smaller size runner, they will feel like skis. Usually only europeans and russians use large flat spots. I find most North American skater don't like anything over 50mm.

If your near Sydney at all go see Warren at Skaters Network. I was down there last year with The International Ice hockey Tour and Trained them on the profiling system they have,. He did Nathan Walkers skates before training camp last year in the AHL and Nathan said it was the best job he had ever had done in Australia. And Warren had been doing his skates for years.

CAGs put a flat area in the blade. So for example a 25/50 would be 50mm of flat spot with 25mm on each side of centerline. A 35/65 is 65mm flat with 35mm forward of center which causes the skate to lean slightly forward. The more amount forward of center, the more the lean.forward. When a large flat is put on a smaller size runner, they will feel like skis. Usually only europeans and russians use large flat spots. I find most North American skater don't like anything over 50mm.

Do players who have converted to ice after playing roller have a tendency to like longer flats? I found this to be my case, but I'm not sure if they're related or purely coincidental.

I got a 1/2 hollow put on and skated in them last night, it was a big improvement, but I still think I need to change the profile to have a shorter flat spot, maybe something like 30/50?

If your near Sydney at all go see Warren at Skaters Network. I was down there last year with The International Ice hockey Tour and Trained them on the profiling system they have,. He did Nathan Walkers skates before training camp last year in the AHL and Nathan said it was the best job he had ever had done in Australia. And Warren had been doing his skates for years.

I'm in Adelaide, I'm a long way from Sydney, but maybe I can ship them over to warren or back to the guy in Melbourne, or I'll be back in Melbourne soon anyway, any chance you know what Nathan Walker is skating on? Skate size, radius, profile, hollow etc?

I got a 1/2 hollow put on and skated in them last night, it was a big improvement, but I still think I need to change the profile to have a shorter flat spot, maybe something like 30/50?

try a 30/40.

I'm in Adelaide, I'm a long way from Sydney, but maybe I can ship them over to warren or back to the guy in Melbourne, or I'll be back in Melbourne soon anyway, any chance you know what Nathan Walker is skating on? Skate size, radius, profile, hollow etc?

He's on the Blademaster CRM6 9/10 with no Flat Spot. I do not know if Joey has the CRM6 system. I dont think so though. I think your best to ask Warren and see if they sent him one. If not send Warren the blades and he could do a couple sets for you. Or I will be back next Summer (winter) ...LOL