Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MThockeydad

Junior skates for high arch/instep

Kiddos and I are trying to talk the wifey into hockey. We can't find skates to fit her.

She has an extremely high arch/instep. Tried the pencil test in Easton SY50 and EQ50 skates. Failed miserably. Her foot sticks way above the 5th/6th eyelets.

Definitely a no-go in Vapors (what everyone has seemed to stock locally).

Local sporting goods store will have Bauer and CCM this fall. A small new LHS is supposed to have Easton and Graf, but he doesn't have his stock in yet.

We'll be traveling in late September, what should we look for?

Need a 4.5, probably D width.

Bauer Nexus? Easton Stealths?

Or try the 9035 Graf if they have it. Most women have a narrow heel so the Graf would be best for that but if she had a high arch wide fore foot you could try Nexxus then use the Superfeet as suggested and the Stable 26 socks to take up the extra volume. But I would go to the Graf first as suggested.

Graf 709 or Nexus 6000 or below. She may swim, width-wise, in the Nexus so a 709 narrow width may be a good option.

Or try the 9035 Graf if they have it. Most women have a narrow heel so the Graf would be best for that but if she had a high arch wide fore foot you could try Nexxus then use the Superfeet as suggested and the Stable 26 socks to take up the extra volume. But I would go to the Graf first as suggested.

How does the Graf naming convention work if the shop two hours away doesn't have the 709 or 9035?

Will the 935's or 535's have a similar fit?

She has a crazy high arch, narrow heels, I'd guess her forefoot is pretty average width given her shoe size. (she doesn't have to buy wide street shoes--but arch support is critical to her).

The X35, X03, X05, X09, and X035 (see what they did there?) all have very different fits. The 535 and 935 will not fit her foot, almost guaranteed. They're much shallower than the 709s. The 9035 is a different fit, but it's still shallower than the 709.

The X35, X03, X05, X09, and X035 (see what they did there?) all have very different fits. The 535 and 935 will not fit her foot, almost guaranteed. They're much shallower than the 709s. The 9035 is a different fit, but it's still shallower than the 709.

Working with high end female players on weekly basis I highly disagree that a 9035 will not fit. I just put one of Canada's top players into that skate and she loves it. Along with the Stable 26 socks with 4mm out and in. If your looking to spend a lot less on skates as a first pair then go with a year old Nexxus boot. She would still need the socks to take up the heel volume.

This is however correct statement. (The 9035 is a different fit, but it's still shallower than the 709.) But slightly. Similar to the Supreme vs Nexxus. in boot depth.

It was me who asked if the 535/935 fit like the 9035. :)

Thank you both for all your help. A lot of skate swaps are coming up as well as a trip through two towns with LHSs. I'll watch for 9035's, 709's, and Nexuses. ;)

Graf 709 or Nexus 6000 or below. She may swim, width-wise, in the Nexus so a 709 narrow width may be a good option.

The selection was very limited on Grafs. Tried some different Eastons and CCM's and none were even close to fitting.

The Nexus skates were definitely the best fit for her, even without baking. Went with the 5000's.

We'll add yellow Superfeet to help with her arch.

Is it bad that I'm envious she has Edge holders and I don't? :lol: I'm such a gear slut.

I'm so stoked to have 4 sets of runners for my LS2-equipped x7.0's I can't fathom shelling out for a whole new system.

I can get all of them sharpened with a FBV when it's convenient and never have to take time in the middle of the week to get them sharpened.

...but I had considered putting one set of holders on my XR5's....just because I had them. You know, because it's nearing winter and all.