Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PHLAllstar

Bauer Nexus 8000 Users

Hey looking for some flex advice from Nexus 8000 users. I am stuck between getting an Intermediate 67 or a senior 77. Since Bauer stick don't have a "free flex zone" I was leaning towards the 67 but I am afraid it will be to soft. I have been using senior 75 flex for a while now with good results. Any advice will be helpful.

I am 5"10, 160 and tend to cut about 2.5" off senior sticks.

Nexus 1000 plays pretty soft. With the Vapors I'm somewhere between an intermediate and senior 77. Nexus 1000 I had no problem with the senior 77. I know they slightly tweaked the flex profile on the 8000, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make.

Nexus 1000 plays pretty soft. With the Vapors I'm somewhere between an intermediate and senior 77. Nexus 1000 I had no problem with the senior 77. I know they slightly tweaked the flex profile on the 8000, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make.

I'll second that. HTX 75 works well for me, and I found a 77 Nexus1000 to be too flexible for my liking.

Just bought a Nexus 8000 77 flex (cut to 82). Coming from a Supreme TO 87 flex (cut to 96), it's been night and day. Harder slap slots and harder wrist shots. It's been awesome. It's MUCH easier to load up on the Nexus than a Supreme/Vapor.

But to answer your question, I'd go for a senior 77 flex in the Nexus line (if you like Bauer). Not a huge fan of Easton, but if you can score a stick for cheap, it's worth giving a 75 flex a try. Anyway, I'm only 5'8 180lbs, and I find the 8000 super easy to load up (something I prefer). But it took a little practice. I bought a 95 flex and cut it down to 102 flex (Supreme TO). This way, it'd force me to put a lot of weight and arm strength to get a good shot off. It helped perfect the technique and arm strength (no room for bad technique as you'll get a horrible shot).

As your technique gets better, you'll want a higher flex. That's why I'd recommend starting stiffer (77 flex) versus softer (67 flex). Also, your weight has a lot to do with as well. A common indicator for finding the flex for you is: Your weight divided by 2 (160/2=80). Here's a video that explains flex really well (which is why I wouldn't recommend a 67 flex for you):

I'd argue that better technique allows you to use a softer flex. Less muscling through the puck, more letting the stick and proper mechanics do the work. There really is no rule of thumb as those guides don't take into strength to weight ratio, whether someone is a snap vs wrist vs pull and drag shooter, or if you can get over the sensation of feeling "weaker" on the puck with a softer shaft.

If you're a forward I'd error on the side of getting too flexible of a stick rather than too stiff.

Buying a really stiff stick will result in a good warm up shot, buying a flexible stick will result in a better in game shot. You're not going to have time to muscle through a shot in a game situation.

I'm a similar size to the OP and in the same boat. 67 flex sticks feel a bit whippy and when I buy a 77 flex I have to cut it down to almost the 92 flex line. I picked up a Intermediate 75 Flex Total One and I barely had to cut it which made the stick a lot more usable for me. Too bad Bauer only makes this flex in the Supreme line though.

I'm 5'8", 165 lbs and I use a 67 flex cut down to around an 80 flex. The Nexus 8000 feels a little too soft to me, but cutting down a 77 to that length (~100 flex) is too stiff. WIsh they had something in between.

Hey looking for some flex advice from Nexus 8000 users. I am stuck between getting an Intermediate 67 or a senior 77. Since Bauer stick don't have a "free flex zone" I was leaning towards the 67 but I am afraid it will be to soft. I have been using senior 75 flex for a while now with good results. Any advice will be helpful.

I am 5"10, 160 and tend to cut about 2.5" off senior sticks.

I was in this exact same situation last week when I bought my Nexus 8000. The sales guy on the phone reminded me that the 67 intermediate stick is only 57" long. I don't cut off 3' from a senior stick, which would make the 67 too short. I suppose I could always add a longer plug, but now you're talking about an extra step and expense. My 8000 77 should be here Friday, if you can wait until then I'll let you know how it compares to my 1000 77.

Any feedback on the Nexus 8000 stick?

IMO, this is the best looking stick graphics wise of the 3 bauer lines but would like to know if it performs as good as it looks....

Would you consider it an upgrade over the 1000?

Yeah, it's a pretty big upgrade over the 8000. The blade feels much crisper and they cleaned up the slop in the flex. But it's much stiffer than the 1000. I was using a 77 flex 1000 cut to 84 and it was great. A 77 8000 cut just above the 84 line is playing 10 flex higher (the same as my 87 1000 did when cut the same amount). I'm thinking of going to a 67 flex as well, but it will be too short. At this point I may have to switch to a Warrior Dynasty AX1LT in 75 flex. It's really disappointing.

I haven't used an AX1LT yet. My LHS doesn't have any. I may have to go in blind but I have heard good thngs. Warrior has my curve in a better flex, so hopefully it will work well.

I'm in the same boat you are. I've recently started using the 75 flex CCM tacks stick and love it. When cut down its at 80. It has great puck feel and good pop. I came from the Nexus 8000 and won't go back.