Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shoot_the_goalie

Transitioning from checking to non-checking - defensemen

Wanted to hear opinions on transitioning from checking to non-checking play for defensemen. What do you find that one keeps similar (i.e. keeping proper gap distance, forcing to the perimeter, etc) and how does one need to change/adapt when you no longer can take the body to neutralize players.

You play it pretty much the same way. It's no checking that doesn't mean you can't body up on the player, ride them a little on the walls or freeze them up on the boards; it just means you can't line them up for a hit.

I'm only 4+ years removed from check hockey so I can still remember the transition from club college to beer league. The biggest adjustment for me was learning to use my stick more on the defensive side of hockey. Since we can't hit anymore, the only way to stop a puck-handler is with your stick. My ability to play defensive hockey with my twig has improved by default due to the nature of men's league. I'm sure that is the same for most people too. Other than that, chk hrd pretty much summed it up. From my experience (both officiating and playing), the leniency of physical play increase as you move up a level(s). Officials and players adjust accordingly. 'A' players usually get a little more slack than 'C' players. When the college kids come back, physicality usually picks up. It's an adjustment but is worth it. I thank God I can still get on the ice and hope to do so for many more years to come.

From what I've seen, the physicality when the college kids come back usually depends on the level of college the kids are playing. D1 kids will play with a lot less physicality than D3 kids, and that is for a couple of reasons. First, they are simply better skaters and players and know how to make plays without having to be physical, and second, because they know that summer hockey is just that, summer hockey, and everybody has a scholarship and/or potential future move to the pros to think about. A lot of the D3 kids think they've got something to prove and are usually much more of a problem than the D1 guys.

Most forwards will try to cut to the middle in a non-checking environment. Wait for the cross over and make the play when they have their head down. And , as others have noted, you don't have to get out of their way. A substantial amount of contact is permissible in a high level no-check game. just remember that everyone has to go to work in the morning and the people in the stands aren't scouts.

A simple hand in the chest as you hold the lane to hold them up will stop the cut inside.

and should draw a penalty for holding.

Nah, you just put your hand flat against the chest, usually in conjunction with the stick between the feet. You are still drifting backward. Basically, all you are doing is maintaining your space. As long as the guy doesn't try to crossover you're fine. If he does then you'll probably be looking at a tripping penalty.

From what I've seen, the physicality when the college kids come back usually depends on the level of college the kids are playing. D1 kids will play with a lot less physicality than D3 kids, and that is for a couple of reasons. First, they are simply better skaters and players and know how to make plays without having to be physical, and second, because they know that summer hockey is just that, summer hockey, and everybody has a scholarship and/or potential future move to the pros to think about. A lot of the D3 kids think they've got something to prove and are usually much more of a problem than the D1 guys.

You are correct. The leagues I play in, highest you get, caliber-wise, is DIII. I know there are other leagues (one that I've worked) in the Philly area that have former pro/DI players. They just know how to play hockey and focus on that only. Impressive stuff.

Most forwards will try to cut to the middle in a non-checking environment. Wait for the cross over and make the play when they have their head down. And , as others have noted, you don't have to get out of their way. A substantial amount of contact is permissible in a high level no-check game. just remember that everyone has to go to work in the morning and the people in the stands aren't scouts.

+1,000. These two things everyone should understand. Unfortunately, we all know that would be way too convenient.

Nah, you just put your hand flat against the chest, usually in conjunction with the stick between the feet. You are still drifting backward. Basically, all you are doing is maintaining your space. As long as the guy doesn't try to crossover you're fine. If he does then you'll probably be looking at a tripping penalty.

That's the first thing any smart player is going to do. Either the stick trips the guy or he turns his upper body and your hand is now on his arm and looks like a hold.

I think it was the BC coach who told all his players to cross over because it was a college hockey staple to get the stick between the feet. However, most beer league guys just let up when they feel the hand on the chest and the puck slips away.

It's almost like letting them skate in to you and you cushioning them. I've rarely ever been called on that with guys who can play. If it's a lower-level guy who tries to pull a move, sometimes they fall. I'm a smaller skater, though, so that works in my favor as well. You don't want to knock anyone on their ass, just separate them from the puck or make them have to try to go through you.

I have seen this too, in general. It isn't true for every player, but it is for a lot of them.