Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PH_Hockey2

What skate hollow do you skate on?

What skate hollow do you skate on?  

561 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I forgot some of the hollows but i tried to put the most common ones on there. I usally skate on a 9\16 but im going a tid bit shallower and trying a 5\8.

I like less of a hollow so I go with 3/8. More speed that way.

3/8" is the deepest hollow listed- And would give you more bite, but less speed (or at least more drag). The hollow is spec-ed in radius so a smaller value equates to a deeper cut.

When would you want a deeper hollow as compared to a shallower one? I use 3/8's. I have never really been concerned with "ice conditions" too much and stuff but whenever opponents come to our rink I hear jabs all the time about the ice being crappy. I guess I'm just used to it. When we go to alot nicer rinks and the ice seems colder/harder, would I want the hollow to be deeper or shallower? We're going on a road trip to the nice rinks the next couple weeks.

When would you want a deeper hollow as compared to a shallower one? I use 3/8's. I have never really been concerned with "ice conditions" too much and stuff but whenever opponents come to our rink I hear jabs all the time about the ice being crappy. I guess I'm just used to it. When we go to alot nicer rinks and the ice seems colder/harder, would I want the hollow to be deeper or shallower? We're going on a road trip to the nice rinks the next couple weeks.

If your ice is soft, you shouldn't be on 3/8.

I was doing 1" for about a year, but recently switched to 1/2". I still like 1" better, but the guy I'm having do my skates now flips me shit about me getting lazy when I go on 1".

I miss not being able to sharpen my own skates the other day, I guarantee they are at a half and not 5/8" as asked (lazy wheel guy..i even offered to do them and let him watch MNF..) a bit surprised to see so many of you also on 5/8"..its so much easier on my knees now that I'm a old man....

yah i dont know either, what is this "hollow" business....

the lhs guys don't say anything either

It's the depth of the crevice in between both edges on your blades, you can get very deep hollows or very shallow hollows, it's all personal preference and you just got to try different ones to determine what's right for you, but 1/2" is most widely considered to be the standard hollow so this would be a good starting point. If your LHS is sharpening your skates and not telling you or asking you anything about hollows, it's most likely either 1/2" or 3/8".

24mm when I was living in Montreal (lots of skating outdoors).

1" now that I am in Vancouver (soft ice year-round).

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the dimension refers to the radius of the curve on the side of the sharpening wheel (cross-section)? So, 1" is a more shallow cut than a 5/8"? Or is it the diameter of the curve's circle?

The flatter hollows were pretty popular in Montreal, but not in Vancouver or in this poll.