Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2014 Suspension Thread

Apparently a bunch of fines but no suspensions. Nolan from the kings is a POS

and deserves games for the hit on Helm. I also think Volchenkov is going to get more games than Moore for his blatant elbow.

Just watched Ference from the Oilers lay a pretty blatant hit to the head of Zach Kassian. Would expect that hit to get Ference as many games as Burrows got for his hit.

Apparently a bunch of fines but no suspensions. Nolan from the kings is a POS

and deserves games for the hit on Helm. I also think Volchenkov is going to get more games than Moore for his blatant elbow.

I was very surprised Nolan only got a 2 for that one. Almost as much surprised as I was to see Big E get physical afterwards and toss Nolan back to the ice. How they ended up just offsetting was disappointing to me, glad to see he was subjected to further discipline for the hit, and that Helm was alright given his injury history the last few years

Fixed the spelling my mistake

You and me are different:

I think like a defenseman

You think like an offensman

I think like a ddefenseman and I think he didn't have to come up like he did. If he kept his body compact and lower and not raise up it would've been fine. But this was a dirty hit.

I'd also add that those two hits that are linked above have almost nothing in common. The Toews hit is shoulder to shoulder. The Kassian hit directly targets the head and, indeed, the head is the principal point of contact. If this is an attempt to marshal evidence in favor of whatever argument you are making, I'm not persuaded.

If Ference didn't leave his feet or target kassians head it would have been a great hit. But no, Ference tried to kill him. So yeah just what I was thinking "great hockey play". O.o

The slow-motion at 57 and 58 seconds look like a square shoulder to shoulder hit to me. Moreover, Mitchell was not suspended for that hit that I recall.

Toews's head snaps back because he was skating at 20+mph and was hit squarely by someone moving in the opposite direction. And that is why he was concussed. Concussions are momentum injuries. The brain is moving inside the skull in concert with the body, the body is suddenly stopped or changes direction, and the momentum of the brain slaps it against the inside of the skull. That's a concussion. You don't need a head shot to get a concussion.

I've been a big fan of Toews since his college days, by the way. I just think it is important to distinguish between the hits we want to punish because they are gratuitously dangerous and those that are legitimate hockey plays. Nobody wants to change the essence of hockey. We just want to protect the most valuable asset of the NHL, which is its collection of players.

The slow-motion at 57 and 58 seconds look like a square shoulder to shoulder hit to me. Moreover, Mitchell was not suspended for that hit that I recall.

Toews's head snaps back because he was skating at 20+mph and was hit squarely by someone moving in the opposite direction. And that is why he was concussed. Concussions are momentum injuries. The brain is moving inside the skull in concert with the body, the body is suddenly stopped or changes direction, and the momentum of the brain slaps it against the inside of the skull. That's a concussion. You don't need a head shot to get a concussion.

I've been a big fan of Toews since his college days, by the way. I just think it is important to distinguish between the hits we want to punish because they are gratuitously dangerous and those that are legitimate hockey plays. Nobody wants to change the essence of hockey. We just want to protect the most valuable asset of the NHL, which is its collection of players.

Perfectly stated.

Still not understanding how Burrows who has no suspensions but a few fines, and Ference who has a history of suspension's get the same amount of games for hits to the head? History is a factor in determining suspensions right?

Next up for the league is Gabrielle Landeskog for a forearm shiver to the face of Corey Perry.

I think like a ddefenseman and I think he didn't have to come up like he did. If he kept his body compact and lower and not raise up it would've been fine. But this was a dirty hit.

Agreed. If Ferrence skates through the body, it's a clean play. It's the fact that he obviously went for the head that makes it a penalty and worthy of a suspension.

Was just watching the replay of the Jack Johnson hit on Tlusty.... Definitely a head shot so 3 games seem to be the norm right now. Chadd is right, guys are trying to kill other guys. Tlusty has to take some responsibility and stop admiring his pass but all Johnson has to do is put his shoulder in his chest and drop him with a perfectly clean hit. Sad.

Jiri Sekac on Nikita Zadorov last night. Seeing it full speed I couldn't believe he only got 2 for boarding. Me and the guy I was watching with (both Habs fans by the way...) both figured 5/game minimum, suspension eminent.

The SN Panel after the game said NZ turns at the last minute leaving Sekac no time to stop since he had committed to the hit already. When they slowed it right down and highlighted how if Zadorov plays the puck and keeps himself perpendicular to the boards, he take the hit on the shoulder rather than in the numbers. It definitely appears that way.

I still think they'll give him at least 1 game.

And, yes Sekac turtles pretty hard when the group approaches after the hit.

He shouldn't get anything. He was tied up going into it and if you watch his skate was losing his balance. Then Zadorov is lined up on the shoulders but turns as he doesn't stop the puck on the boards right away.

http://gfycat.com/TheseWateryEquestrian

In this gif we see his numbers fully right before contact, which means he isn't facing the boards, when Sekac gets close he turns. Not much you can do there for Sekac. Boarding call is all I'd give it. But knowing NHL... 2 games.

http://gfycat.com/ArcticGlaringIcefish

He shouldn't get anything. He was tied up going into it and if you watch his skate was losing his balance. Then Zadorov is lined up on the shoulders but turns as he doesn't stop the puck on the boards right away.

http://gfycat.com/TheseWateryEquestrian

In this gif we see his numbers fully right before contact, which means he isn't facing the boards, when Sekac gets close he turns. Not much you can do there for Sekac. Boarding call is all I'd give it. But knowing NHL... 2 games.

http://gfycat.com/ArcticGlaringIcefish

I concur. Well said.