Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2014 Suspension Thread

it was a stupid and dangerous play, no doubt about it. As for not being a suspension, I can see why they decided that way. 1. There didn't appear to be a significant injury, 2. It was not a big hit, more of a shove in the lower back. I'm not saying that I agree with the league, but I can see why they would let this one go. At full speed it is really ugly. When you slow it down, you lose that violence and you can see it was not one of the more typical attempts to put someone through the boards.

I think the name does make a difference. So far, we have seen that MacKinnon isn't out there trying to take any heads off, not sure we can say the same for Rinaldo.

The name absolutely has an impact, at least in regards to players having a history of attempts to injure opponents.

Yup, I think it would have been an easy stand for the NHL to take in suspending a budding star for a hit that does look marginal at face value. But, it's true, when you slow it down, the viciousness of the hit is taken away and you see a more normal hockey play (trying to bump someone off-balance when they chance direction to nudge them off the puck) that has gone bad. No doubt MacKinnon gets the benefit of the doubt on intent here.

Looked like a shoulder to shoulder hit to me, the HNIC guys were way over the top about it. It was a dirty play but nothing that warrants a suspension.

Late, high and he came a long way to make the hit and that appeared to target the head. It should be a suspension and he does have a hearing.

I can understand why Penguins fans would be upset, hits that late are rarely called for penalties, let alone suspensions. They should be, but they are not. There were at least a dozen hits later than that one in the Hawks and Blues game tonight.

Hopefully Seidenberg will be sitting for a few. What a dirty hit.

And to top it off, Julien goes and says something as dumb as suggesting it was Toews fault. Come on man, have a bit of class.

And to top it off, Julien goes and says something as dumb as suggesting it was Toews fault. Come on man, have a bit of class.

The league really needs to stop the use of the legs to make contact when checking near the boards. When a player is taken off their center of gravity from behind like that, there is nothing they can do to defend themselves. It's the same thing that caused Cooke to cut Karlsson.

I doubt Seidenberg will miss any time. He has a clean record and, right or wrong, similar plays as that have not been acted on by the league this year.

As for Julien's comments, it is extremely rare for coaches not to defend their players in these situations and that is part of the problem with why dangerous hits still occur.

Seidenberg could get a game or two because it is toews, but I don't think there is any intent nor a dirty play, its just simply one he played wrong. He has to see that Toews is going to play the puck and alter the way he approaches that situation.

Yahoo Sports reports that there will be no hearing for Seidenberg.

It looked like a careless hit to me, pushing Toews above his center of gravity, close to and towards the boards, guaranteeing that his head would go down and lead in any contact with the boards.

John Scott suspended (again) for 4 games for punching an unsuspecting opponent and causing injury. How this guy is still in the league is beyond me.

John Scott suspended (again) for 4 games for punching an unsuspecting opponent and causing injury. How this guy is still in the league is beyond me.

Because teams pay him to do exactly what he does. There is also no penalty to the team when he crosses the line, so there is no disincentive to having a guy like that on the roster.

that was more of a flop as well. Scott barely touched him