Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2014 Suspension Thread

It's the NHL's chicken or the egg problem. People claim you need goons to police goon behavior against the skill players but it is these same guys who take the liberties. Until suspensions are consistently long enough to be a deterrent everything is just lip service.

It has gotten to this point because people like Renaldo have been allowed to get away with cheap stuff with little or no retribution. In my opinion there is a difference between a goon and an enforcer. A goon is just that, no code or ethics. An enforcer does what he does to protect his team and keep the game manageable. Renaldo's statements show the mentality of these guys...yeah I did it, so what. Then he tries to justify it by saying it was a game changer. Since the NHL is trying to stop teams from managing the game on the ice they need to start hammering them with heavy suspensions which cost them money. But that's not going to work because there will just be another meat head to take his place. Maybe they need to start taking action against the team. Until they can get these type of players to respect the game it's not going to stop.

Agreed with chk hrd. Goon and enforcer are two very different things, with the latter almost gone from the league at this point. Heck, most goons would turtle if somebody ever got tired of their antics.

Since the NHL is trying to stop teams from managing the game on the ice they need to start hammering them with heavy suspensions which cost them money. But that's not going to work because there will just be another meat head to take his place. Maybe they need to start taking action against the team. Until they can get these type of players to respect the game it's not going to stop.

I've been banging that drum for years. I still think the best solution is for cumulative career suspensions and not allowing the team to dress a replacement while that player is suspended.

if im a bubble player in the playoffs i would probably be looking to make an impact (leave a mark) in the series - so if i get the chance to hit a star player in a vulnerable position i am probably going to make the hit. even if i get banned for the series or rest of the playoffs, i may have changed the whole series and my team ends up advancing. quietly my team would probably be happy with the trade of losing a 4th line player to take out a super star on the other team - but of course they would never admit that.

quietly my team would probably be happy with the trade of losing a 4th line player to take out a super star on the other team - but of course they would never admit that.

And that's why the team has to be punished in some way for signing a player like that.

If your intent is to hurt another player or play dirty and dangerous to make an impact just because your a 4th line player and the team won't miss you then you shouldn't even be out there...especially in the playoffs. It's the 3rd and 4th line players in the playoffs that make a big difference since the top two lines usually cancel each other out. Any player that feels they need to take a cheap shot, dirty hit or goon it up has no respect for the game (Sean Avery). Why not make an impact using talent, fore check and back check hard every shift, make smart plays. You know, things good hockey players should do. If I had a player on my team who acted like Renaldo did in the after game interview I would have a serious discussion with them in the a the locker room.

If your intent is to hurt another player or play dirty and dangerous to make an impact just because your a 4th line player and the team won't miss you then you shouldn't even be out there...especially in the playoffs. It's the 3rd and 4th line players in the playoffs that make a big difference since the top two lines usually cancel each other out. Any player that feels they need to take a cheap shot, dirty hit or goon it up has no respect for the game (Sean Avery). Why not make an impact using talent, fore check and back check hard every shift, make smart plays. You know, things good hockey players should do. If I had a player on my team who acted like Renaldo did in the after game interview I would have a serious discussion with them in the a the locker room.

Teams sign them because they play that way, not despite it.

This is where Giroux would like to have a McSorely or Twist. The two team enforcers would go at it to settle things down and get it out of everyone's system. They would get back to the bench and tell the players to cut the crap out and let the other team know that if liberties were taken with one of their top players then they would respond in kind. The game would go back to normal. It was kind of like a nuclear deterrent.

Yes the teams hire guys like Carcillo, Marchand, Avery and Renaldo because they are agitators, but they also have the ability to play the game. Things won't change until teams are also held responsible to some degree. Why not make them match the fine and don't let them replace the suspended player.

Things won't change until teams are also held responsible to some degree. Why not make them match the fine and don't let them replace the suspended player.

Why won't the league do something about it? Because the disciplinary review guys answer to this man. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=792 Please note the career games played, points and penalty minute totals.

Rinaldo is always pushing the line with his play. He crosses it pretty frequently and is penalized for it from time to time.

I'm not arguing anything whatsoever. Everything I made was a statement.

First an example of his legal powerful hits

Then an example of his cheap hits

He got off light with only 8 games. It not enough to wake him up.

Did you actually look at the 10 legal hits in your first "example"? There are at least six checks/hits where Rinaldo leaves his feet. You can actually tell by the distance/space between his feet and the ice. As far charging is concerned it is part of the NHL rule book and irrelevant to whether you choose believe or not.

Rinaldo is a punk and that is not an argument but a fact.

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player

who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

There is not a single bodycheck in that first video list that is illegal. Not even slightly illegal. The 2 charging calls were bad calls.

They are all explosive clean bodychecks

He went for the head on the first three hits, I stopped watching at that point.