Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JarHead6483

Stick options - need a replacement

Well I'm new to the site, and there is a lot of information here on the forums. I'm glad I found this site. I'm in the market for a new stick. My current one is Easton Stealth 65S and I have been using it since June 2013. Its been a great stick however this will be my third Easton stick I have used and they always seem to breakdown on the toe. I have a backup Reebok A.i.3, which I picked up around the same time as my Stealth, and it has lasted longer in the blade (keep in mind I use it occasionally and not every game). Its a great backup stick, however just a bit short for me.

I have looked at the CCM RBZ line and have been thinking of moving over, but I have also been told that I would see more damage to the heel than I would at the toe. I play for fun and I don't see any contracts coming my way anytime soon (LOL) so spending 200 bucks on a stick is out. I would be sick to my stomach if it snapped during a game. I like to keep around 100 bucks if I can that way if I don't like the stick I don't feel its a waste. I have asked some of the guys in my league, however some have been playing since they were a kid. Most of them pay for the custom Bauer sticks which is fine, just not for me. I have heard a bit about the TRUE and BASE sticks, but they are hard to come by at the rinks here in Houston and I know they are a bit over 100 bucks.

I have been playing RW for the last year and previous to that I played Defense. No one really helped me to understand what Lie and Flex I should be at, so I did my best. I think currently my Easton is 95 or 100 flex with a 5.5 lie. I don't have the best slap shot so I rely on my wrist shots and backhands when I can. Any advise / direction would be great. I see that there are a lot of knowledgeable players on this site that could help point me in the right direction.

Thanks again - Nate

There are way too many variables to give you a specific answer as to what stick you should use, sticks are a personal preference. Myself, I reckon if you paint any comparative model stick in black and hand it to a player, they will struggle to tell you what stick it is. However from my own experience, my general advice is:

Flex - unless you are a really big guy and hit slap shots, drop your flex to around the 70 - 77 flex mark. Learn to lean on the stick and use its flex to generate power with your snap and wrist shots. As you get better you might want to move up flex.

Lie - is dependant on how you skate and hold the stick, one way to see if the lie you are using is ok is to tape your stick up, go for a skate and puck handle / pass for a few minutes. Check the bottom of your tape, see if it is wearing toe (need a higher lie), middle (just right) or heel (need a lower lie),

Face or loft - in theory if you play forward you use an open face, D a closed face. So said I've seen many a player with a closed face (eg zetterberg) putting it top shelf from 3 feet out, it all depends on your skill level.

Curve - take your pick, the deeper and more curved a blade is, generally the better it is for puck handling. Other curves are more suited to passing and or shooting. It all depends on what you like and above all, your skill level. However about the most popular and common all round curve is a sakic or similar.

Hunt ebay and online sales / clearances from places like HM. You can find plenty of top end or pro stock sticks for around the $100 mark, they may not be this seasons newest stick but they are still a damn good stick for the price. Try different curves eg zetterberg / sakic / drury to get a feel of the different types. Remember you need to use a curve at least 3 or 4 times to start to get the feel for it.

And all stick manufacturers have durabilty issues, there isn't one brand that is better than the other. imho Bauer have had a solid top end stick since the one95, Warrior have started to get it right from the Dynasty / covert range, Easton have improved from the S17 days but are still fragile (the SE16 was a great stick), Rbk have been solid since the 11k. This is to name just a few. But I've seen all of these sticks, and many more, snap / break / disintegrate in the blade or elsewhere. What is good in one person's hands can be a disaster in another's, and manufacturers keep pushing the boundaries and changing designs as each new model comes out.

Firs off... Odds are 100 flex is too much for you, unless you are a big guy, or take booming slappers. I usually prefer a 75 flex (weigh about 185) and then cut about 2-3 inches off the stick, for an overall flex or probably 85-87.

Everybody has preferences for sticks, and YMMV. Currently, I am a very big Warrior fan, as far as sticks go. Easton scares me because they keep changing up their product lines so much, it makes me think they don't actually know what direction to head. Bauer is always a solid choice, and it just depends what type of shot you take in regards to whether you got a Nexus, Supreme or Vapor.

The last 2 sticks I've had were Warriors, and I loved them. Before that, I had 3 Eastons and thought they were pretty good, but the Warriors were better because they were about as durable, but lighter.

As far as curve goes, just go with what you are comfortable with. I used a W28 because I like my curve a bit closer to the toe because all I take are snap shots, I don't really ever take slappers. Lastly, shop around on hockeymonkey or other similar websites. They have tons of selection and sometimes sticks even have reviews to so you can get a feel for what others think.

I'm currently playing with a Warrior DT4 LT, W28 curve, 85 flex. Retail price $80.

Nate... I am no expert...but am a big on the thought of playing with flex to provide more power to your shot.

Funny side story about flexxing a stick i am at a sons game 3 hrs from home. Waiting for the zam to finish and i see a young coach talking with a player by the zam door and as he talking he over there flexing his new Easton stick... I decide to walk over and the guy is very freindly...i am asking about his stick becuase he was really bending it very easy. We end up talking youth hockey program and he tells me about his new stick and he found the best one at the store. Some i'm thinking...the dude flexxed all the sticks. He hads me the stick and i could'nt flex it...he was flexxing it without what appeared any effort ( 100 flex to boot).

I know a guy my age playing with a 60 flex warrior dt2 and that thing seems to have held up well and when i flexxed his...it seemed springy and responsive...other brands i've flexxed and they are creaky and stiff.

If you watch the nhl...stick breakage looks down compared to when the one peice sticks 1st launched and i think part of it is making the sticks more flexible in order to be more durable. That and all the players playing with sticks that are flexxing and not breaking.

Finally have you thought of playing shafts and blades? Break the toe and just replace the blade.

There are way too many variables to give you a specific answer as to what stick you should use, sticks are a personal preference. Myself, I reckon if you paint any comparative model stick in black and hand it to a player, they will struggle to tell you what stick it is. However from my own experience, my general advice is:

Flex - unless you are a really big guy and hit slap shots, drop your flex to around the 70 - 77 flex mark. Learn to lean on the stick and use its flex to generate power with your snap and wrist shots. As you get better you might want to move up flex.

Lie - is dependant on how you skate and hold the stick, one way to see if the lie you are using is ok is to tape your stick up, go for a skate and puck handle / pass for a few minutes. Check the bottom of your tape, see if it is wearing toe (need a higher lie), middle (just right) or heel (need a lower lie),

Face or loft - in theory if you play forward you use an open face, D a closed face. So said I've seen many a player with a closed face (eg zetterberg) putting it top shelf from 3 feet out, it all depends on your skill level.

Curve - take your pick, the deeper and more curved a blade is, generally the better it is for puck handling. Other curves are more suited to passing and or shooting. It all depends on what you like and above all, your skill level. However about the most popular and common all round curve is a sakic or similar.

Thanks Vet88 - I thought I was playing with too high of flex, but at the time that is what the pro shop at the rink recommended to me. I and looking now in the 70-75 flex and see. Thanks for the info on the lie. I'm going to check the tape at my next game.

Firs off... Odds are 100 flex is too much for you, unless you are a big guy, or take booming slappers. I usually prefer a 75 flex (weigh about 185) and then cut about 2-3 inches off the stick, for an overall flex or probably 85-87.

As far as curve goes, just go with what you are comfortable with. I used a W28 because I like my curve a bit closer to the toe because all I take are snap shots, I don't really ever take slappers. Lastly, shop around on hockeymonkey or other similar websites. They have tons of selection and sometimes sticks even have reviews to so you can get a feel for what others think.

I'm currently playing with a Warrior DT4 LT, W28 curve, 85 flex. Retail price $80.

Thanks z1ggy - When I see all of the options of curves it can be overwhelming. The last couple of sticks were Lindstrom / Hossa and then Zetterberg. They all worked well for me. I'm terrible with my slap shot, and it could be that I was using a shaft with too high of flex. I mainly focus on wrist shots, so I will be shopping for a new stick this weekend. I have never tried the Warrior sticks. I will check them out. Thanks again for the great info.

Nate... I am no expert...but am a big on the thought of playing with flex to provide more power to your shot.

Funny side story about flexxing a stick i am at a sons game 3 hrs from home. Waiting for the zam to finish and i see a young coach talking with a player by the zam door and as he talking he over there flexing his new Easton stick... I decide to walk over and the guy is very freindly...i am asking about his stick becuase he was really bending it very easy. We end up talking youth hockey program and he tells me about his new stick and he found the best one at the store. Some i'm thinking...the dude flexxed all the sticks. He hads me the stick and i could'nt flex it...he was flexxing it without what appeared any effort ( 100 flex to boot).

I know a guy my age playing with a 60 flex warrior dt2 and that thing seems to have held up well and when i flexxed his...it seemed springy and responsive...other brands i've flexxed and they are creaky and stiff.

If you watch the nhl...stick breakage looks down compared to when the one peice sticks 1st launched and i think part of it is making the sticks more flexible in order to be more durable. That and all the players playing with sticks that are flexxing and not breaking.

Finally have you thought of playing shafts and blades? Break the toe and just replace the blade.

Hawkeyfan - Thanks for the response. That crazy. Come to think of it, I haven't been able to flex my current stick very well. It does creak when I try to put weight on it. I have never thought of playing with shaft and blades. I was always concern with the stress point where the two connect that I would be replacing all the time. I will check into that route also. See how the options pan out.

Thanks everyone on the info and advise. I'll let you all know what I decided to move forward with. Now onto the online shopping sites and start searching.

Thanks again!!!

@ JH6483- I'd stick with mid or mid-heel curves. I personally like an open face because it helps me lift the puck up a bit more. I also like a lower lie due to my skating posture...I've used 5.5 before but prefer something a bit lower, which is why I like Warrior sticks.

And about 2 piece sticks- they are great for durability but I find generally they are harder to flex than equal flex 1 piece sticks. My Easton shaft feels much stiffer than my Easton 1 piece, even though they are both 85 flex.

As others have said, try a lower flex, around 75. Unless you are a big guy, then still drop down to an 85.

You need to learn how to use the stick's flex to generate power in your shot. There is a Warrior video that you can find online where Kovalev demonstrates this.

As far as pattern goes, the most popular is the Sakic-type mid curve. 5.5 lie, open face, rockered blade. Every brand has their own variation of this pattern.

You can find great deals on sticks from last year, and get them for around $100-120. You will receive more of a stick than if you were to purchase a current stick at the full retail price.

2-piece sticks are a great way to try out different patterns, but are being phased out by manufacturers. Your options are more limited if you are to go this route.

Another thing to think about that is commonly overlooked is stick length. Many people use a stick that is too long for them, and this hinders their stick handling.

Too long of a stick with an incorrect lie can and will lead to a bad experience while trying to improve/dial in your stick handling and shooting.

Just my two cents :] good luck on the hunt!

As others have said, try a lower flex, around 75. Unless you are a big guy, then still drop down to an 85.

You need to learn how to use the stick's flex to generate power in your shot. There is a Warrior video that you can find online where Kovalev demonstrates this.

As far as pattern goes, the most popular is the Sakic-type mid curve. 5.5 lie, open face, rockered blade. Every brand has their own variation of this pattern.

You can find great deals on sticks from last year, and get them for around $100-120. You will receive more of a stick than if you were to purchase a current stick at the full retail price.

2-piece sticks are a great way to try out different patterns, but are being phased out by manufacturers. Your options are more limited if you are to go this route.

Another thing to think about that is commonly overlooked is stick length. Many people use a stick that is too long for them, and this hinders their stick handling.

Too long of a stick with an incorrect lie can and will lead to a bad experience while trying to improve/dial in your stick handling and shooting.

Just my two cents :] good luck on the hunt!

Thanks you on the info JoshV.

So I'm 6'1" typically I have kept the length of the stick for the butt end of the stick to reach my chin (or that was how I was told to purchase a stick. This was from the same guy who told my 100 flex was optimal for me). Would it be better to cut the stick a bit shorter for better handling? On another note from the comments from earlier today on here I just purchased from Total Hockey my first Warrior stick.

Warrior Covert DT4 LT with a 75 flex and a Burrows curve. It should be by my next game. I'll let you all know how it goes.

My favourite curve, Burrows / PM9, good choice.

Stick length is also a matter of choice but the rule of thumb is the shorter the stick the easier it is to control the puck. I try to get beginners to start with a stick that is below their chin when on skates, anywhere between the chin and the top of the chest. As you get better you can increase the length by a cm or so each time until you find an optimal length. There are many nhl players whose stick is short eg chest height.

In general a forward will play with a shorter stick for puck control, stick maneuverability in traffic and quick shots in front of the net, a D with a longer stick for poke checks, tying sticks up and long distance shot velocity.

And my last point on the subject would be: it doesn't matter what stick you purchase, it could be the best stick in the world, it isn't going to make that much difference. What will make a difference is practice. Think about getting a shooting pad and a net / tarp and a tape to tape device or similar. With these you can practice passing, shooting, one timers and general puck handling. If you can't get ice time then outdoor inline skates, a green biscuit and an abs blade on any kind of shaft and get down to your local park or anywhere with a smoothish surface and just skate and puck handle and practice head up, you will see dramatic improvements over a year of practice.