Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

isk8byu

Box Lacrosse Cage for Rec Hockey?

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts/information on using a box lacrosse mask for adult rec hockey? My biggest question is how large the openings are? An example of the mask I am considering can be found on "Lacrosse Monkey": http://www.lacrossemonkey.com/gait-lacrosse-box-mask-g7-sr.html

A couple years ago I switched from a half shield to an OTNY rec league cat eye cage, and really like the vision/airflow, but I have since come to relize that a puck fits through several of the openings if tilted at the right angle...including one of the eye openings! Here is a link to the rec cat eye cage: http://www.lastchancehockey.com/servlet/the-501/NEW-Cat-Eye-Rec/Detail

With our season just getting started, I thought I would investigate other options, like the box lacrosse cage.

I know, I could just go back to my old Jofa cage, but if there are other options, thought I would at least look. Not looking to protect against a butt end, just random high sticks and a deflected shot.

Thanks!

(Edit: If you are not familiar with box lacrosse, they use hockey helmets for these cages, so compatibility shouldn't be an issue)

The look of that one specifically looks fine. I've seen some that may be able to let a puck through.

But really if your worried about vision and protection why not just opt for a fishbowl or a decent cage

+1 for a decent cage. Better protection, could be lighter depending on what cage you get, looks better and does the same job. IMO people who "cant see" through a cage hasn't explored their options and tested different bar alignments.

The way I counted, there are 15 bars on my Jofa and 8 on the lacrosse version above. I tend to think outside the box and I am trying to strike a balance between "safe enough" and least amount of clutter (bars) in my line of vision. As long as it stops a hard shot and an occasional high stick, that is good enough for me.

I wore a "fishbowl" for several years in HS and liked it, but I don't want to go down that road for several reasons at this point in my non-existent career (sweat, fog, scratches, airflow).

I wouldn't count on that stopping a hard shot. Those gaps also look large enough for the tip of a blade to fit inside. Several of the guys on my team had cut bars out of their cages until one of them got a stick in the eye a couple weeks ago. Eventually, the law of averages catches up with you.

You don't need to reinvent the wheel, just pick up a good cage and you will be fine.

It's not just the bar count, but how they are spread and where they are in your field of vision. I experimented with several different models before I found the style that works best for me.

Just like the bootleg / blackmarket cateye cages there is a reason they are not certified. Take one shoulder in the chin and say good bye to some chicklets.

Just to wrap this up. I was able to take a look at the box lacrosse mask I originally posted. It was substantial and felt like it could handle a big hit without issue, but the top set of eye openings were just large enough that if I pushed a little bit, a puck would pop through. No go, as that is the same issue with the OTNY player cateye.

Thanks for all the feedback. May just go and buy a Bauer Re Akt titanium cage and get it over with.

Just to wrap this up. I was able to take a look at the box lacrosse mask I originally posted. It was substantial and felt like it could handle a big hit without issue, but the top set of eye openings were just large enough that if I pushed a little bit, a puck would pop through. No go, as that is the same issue with the OTNY player cateye.

Thanks for all the feedback. May just go and buy a Bauer Re Akt titanium cage and get it over with.

pssst!!! get the bauer profile II..white!