Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pathfinder

Exercise Routine to Improve Hockey Performance

I was interested in what exercises you all are doing to improve hockey performance. I know that there can be wide variation in what people do for exercise however I was interested in what you've seen/do that can increase stamina, strength, and agility.

I'm doing plyometrics, squats, push-ups, and lunges. I've been looking for a routine that I can do to increase my skills week over week in combination with playing/practice. I while ago I saw a video with one of the bruins players summer exercise routine and he did a lot of exercises that were simple yet yielded results. (I cannot find video anymore).

I'd be interested as well. I'm looking to get in better shape to improve my speed and overall game. I'm looking more for a body weight program to start as I don't have much weight equipment at home though I do have some basics.

Not a fitness buff but I know sprints can be very helpful for your stamina and bursts on the ice.

I do HIIT, really helps when its third period and you need to pull something together to clench the win

To add what the previous poster said HIIT is pretty good, but if your looking for different things in general, I'd say your plyometrics and exercises are a good start. You can do a lot of things, such as agility ladders to help develop quick feet or explosive power depending on the exercise. There are also numerous other exercises you could incorporate, depending on your skill level and the amount of time you want to devote to it, focus primarily on your legs, chest, back, and core. Two of my favorite exercises are the single leg deadlift and squat, it really help build strength and balance. Also a bosu is a good tool to use when trying to work on balance and your core, a good exercise to start is just doing body weight squats on it. You can also just stand on it and practice your stick handling with the added balance challenge

Side note: there is a really good book called "complete conditioning for hockey" by P. Twist I'd highly recommend it, it has both on ice and off ice training exercises.

Hope it helps.

Just started "old man" hockey school for beginner adults... the coach noted that the NHL players who don't make the nightly game rosters are in the gym taking their shifts on bikes (muscles used in biking are the same as hockey). That said, I started doing shifts on the bike at the gym and it does seem to make a positive difference. In addition, when I first started skating 4 or so months ago I also started doing 1 leg squats, 1 leg dumbbell dead lifts and one leg balancing drills (these continue to make a huge difference for me).

Just started "old man" hockey school for beginner adults... the coach noted that the NHL players who don't make the nightly game rosters are in the gym taking their shifts on bikes (muscles used in biking are the same as hockey). That said, I started doing shifts on the bike at the gym and it does seem to make a positive difference. In addition, when I first started skating 4 or so months ago I also started doing 1 leg squats, 1 leg dumbbell dead lifts and one leg balancing drills (these continue to make a huge difference for me).

one-legged exercises are great. you could also try out doing simple stickhandling moves while standing on one leg. it simulates handing the puck in stride and will accelerate whatever work you do to improve your hands.

This is a big thing I've been researching. There's a guy on YouTube who does a crap ton of off ice training, everything from anaerobic (big burst) exercises to how to strengthen your forearms to better handle the stick. 247 hockey life I think.

Any core training in combination with leg squats will surely improve your shooting and burst/stop stability. Core training such as planks and derivatives of, will kick your butt and appear so easy at first. The mire you do for extended bperiods will assist with the stride and shoot more than you think.

Leg squats, especially when you get to the point where to can tether additional weight to your waist, will help tremendously with start and stop events.

one-legged exercises are great. you could also try out doing simple stickhandling moves while standing on one leg. it simulates handing the puck in stride and will accelerate whatever work you do to improve your hands.

This! One-legged are a cornerstone to NHL'ers off-ice training. Here's a good one from the Stack.com as well, working with Z-Berg.

Agreed with above. My performance increase has been huge since I started with a trainer (who I got into hockey and now does mostly hockey specific movements with me now), but the thighs have been the biggest help to my game by far.

Howdy,

Old thread bump, but it seems to fit...

Anyone have any specific exercises to help strengthen ankles, particularly in terms of side to side rotation as well as twisting? I figure that would help with edge control?

Of course, I'm new, so maybe that's all just crap. :-)

Mark

I go to a trainer specifically for high-end athletes. While I am by no means a high-end athlete, his knowledge and being around pro, semi-pro and collegiate athletes is a huge motivator. He has me doing many of the exercises seen in the Zetterberg video above. The one-legged stuff KILLS, but it helps so much.

For ankles specifically? Maybe a balance board?

Ok after being around the block for a bit, if you have an open scrimmage session where not a lot of people go, do it. We used to have one line vs one line and play play play for a full hour. Builds your stamina like crazy. It helps in always having energy in your games.