Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

z1ggy

How Chippy/Chirpy does it get during pick-up/ beer league?

Sometimes I don't know what's acceptable anymore during my games. It's like this weird limbo between just friendly fun hockey, and ultra competitive where people get offended if you even look at their goalie wrong. Last night, my mostly team of young 20 somethings, played a team of mainly 50s+ guys. Either they didn't like us or they were all in bad moods, because there was tons of shoving all over, and a few legit scrums in front of the net after a whistle. I don't think either team was playing particularly dirty, but it was more physical than usual.

I know that stuff is really only acceptable in the NHL, etc, but I was wondering if this is common in your guys lower level leagues, too?

Significant age differences are often a cause of trouble in beer league games. Either the kids are getting beat by the old bucks and it pisses the kids off or the kids don't seem to understand that they are now in beer league and do things that piss off the old bucks, those are the two most common trouble starters. Sometimes it is just somebody getting turned by a guy they don't think should and frustration kicks in.

I think it was the old bucks getting pissed at us because we were beating them. Traditionally, our team is usually in last place (out of 10 teams) and I think that was a top 5 team. Bunch of old guys who've been playing for the past 40 years who'd beaten us at least 4 times in a row. Seemed like every shift one of them was cursing at us. I'm fine with whatever happens, because it's hockey, but nobody is ever on the same page...

Seen that happen plenty of times, as well. Most leagues around me try to avoid significant age differences for just these reasons. It seldom works out well.

Think I'm lucky that I finally settled down in a league where the same teams, with the same core players have been playing against each other for about six seasons now. I'm currently in my third season with these guys and while you'd think playing the same teams over and over (5 teams in total) would get a bit boring, every game has typically been competitive and fast paced despite the score. There's really no bullshit. Most checks/body contact or battles in front of the next usually end with "you okay?" or a pat on the ass. There are a few exceptions and everyone knows who to look out for, but you'll get that no matter where you go.

See, that sounds "nice" in the sense you can be physical and play hard, but both people are on the same page and know it's nothing personal. These old timers were getting in our faces over keeping them away from our goalie when he was in vulnerable positions, etc. What do they expect?

Anyway, what are you supposed to do? I suppose if the refs allow it, it's fine but most of them in these lower level beer leagues don't allow any non-sense of any kind.

Goalie has covered the puck w his glove, so he's bent over unprotected. Guy comes charging in even after he's been on ir for a second or two and wacks his glove. Our guy shoves him. Not enough to knock him off his feet, the guy barely even moved. That was the start to everything else as the game went on. Apparently one of our guys got a penalty because he said the opposing team's player put his stick under his cup and smacked him. Not sure why the guy would do that, but it was probably something one of our team did first.

I stick checked a guy after that, pretty hard, but not a slash as he was having a 1v1 and probably on his way to the net. He bitched me out, then purposely steam rolled me the next period when I wasn't looking. Refs don't really call penalties unless it's insanely obvious, I'm guessing because they just want their paycheck and to go home.

Goalie wouldn't even shake our hands after the game, but once he finally came through the line, he wasn't even saying "good game" or anything. One of our players fell *near* him in the 3rd, which was apparently too close for him because he actual hit our guy with his stick for it.

Plus, one of the guys kept bitching at us after the game about everything... Guess they just didn't like us.

Chopping the glove on top of the puck is a big no-no, regardless of whether the whistle has blown or not. That guy deserved a little guff and his team should have known better on that one.

Choppin at the goalie is never a good move and sure to start something. I've played against to many guys who have the don't come into my house or your gonna pay attitude. Anytime you come near the front of the net is a cross check exercise. I had one run me into his own goalie and then popped off about that's what you get for going to our net. I had to respond with yeah, your goalie sure looked like he enjoyed it (since he was laying on the ice). Even in competitive hockey there is nothing wrong with asking someone if they are okay or saying sorry, didn't mean to get my stick up high. To me that is a way of showing some respect for the other players. It is all in the attitude of the players...be an A-hole and that is what you will get treated like. Earning some respect can do a lot for you. I also think a lot of beer league players don't have the right concept and understanding of the game. They try to emulate what they see the pros do and it comes out bad.

I'm just REALLY glad that a friendly attitude is prevalent at my local rinks. There's good-natured pushing in front of the net, but never shoving or cross-checking.

If it happens, it's the exception, and the person doing it ends up looking like an ass.

The league is a draft league--so chances are the person you're facing was on your team last season or might be next season.

LOTS of chirping, but it's friendly, as it should be.

Chopping the glove on top of the puck is a big no-no, regardless of whether the whistle has blown or not. That guy deserved a little guff and his team should have known better on that one.

People are surprised that this is a slashing penalty and as you mention, the whistle is NOT a factor.

well so far this is my first season , im in the 40 and over and I have to say im a little disappointed in how some of these so called adults act seen quite a few fights already , last game we had got way way out of control fight in front of our net when the refs broke it up the player from the other team sucker punched a team mate of mine breaking the skin right under his eye socket wide open eye swelled shut etc,, so much for adults. makes me re think even playing at all to be honest , now im not talking about the game being physical that part is to be expected it is after all hockey , but all the extra stuff fighting two hand chops to the chest I mean full on baseball swing is just a little to much ,

People are surprised that this is a slashing penalty and as you mention, the whistle is NOT a factor.

They're surprised because way too many refs don't bother calling it.

I find its not so much the age as the ability. If a team is getting blasted by a team with more ability, all it takes is a few missed stops (resulting in hits) and the chirping starts easily. If a few words are said even more so does it start, The worst is when there is infighting on the same bench over ice time.

That's when it sucks all round.

Our games can get king of chippy at times. There are a few guys on every team who get overly physical - mine included. In my view the refs are pretty terrible and do nothing to sense and then control the tenor of the game. If they would call stuff then it wouldn't happen.

it really varies. some teams we seem to get along with and there might be hardly any penalties, occasionally none at all, and it can still be a fast paced competitive fun game. Other games, like last night, are ridiculous and guys are running our goalie, checking for real, and there is a never ending parade to the box. There must have been 15 penalties in my game last night. There was nothing really bad (as there has been in the past with this team) but it was a rough and chippy game. Always is against this particular team (and a couple other ones). There are 10 teams in my league I believe and I think about half of them we have chippy games with, and half we have friendly games with.

That said, this league is generally more tame than another league I used to play in where there were quite a few actual fights.

It all depends on who's playing, who's officiating and what mindset they bring to the game any given night....

I've played teams that were fun to go against, aggressive, a little physical and 100% clean. Honestly, you could play the same team twice and a few of their roster guys are missing, they bring in a few subs, and the entire experience turns to shit......chirping, excessive contact, etc.

Add a few young-bloods that are a year or two out of high school that can't seem to adapt to the beer-league mentality and you have an even more unique setting.

Some games are great, and some suck - in the end, I'll still want to play.....

I find that the "chippy" range falls right in the middle of the adult rec hockey division range.

My top division teams rarely have a problem - guys know the game and the boundaries. There's the odd fight or hit, but it's usually in reactionary or in a blow-out situation.

My bottle division team that I play goal for rarely has a problem - everyone knows they're beginners and are there to learn and get better. Only when someone from a "middle" division show up to be a hero/ringer is there an issue.

Any middle divison team that I've played for is plagued by chippiness and on-ice stupidity. Everyone's out to be a tough guy and a beer league enforcer. Never fails.

Any middle divison team that I've played for is plagued by chippiness and on-ice stupidity. Everyone's out to be a tough guy and a beer league enforcer. Never fails.

Pretty much my experience as well

yep, same here. it seems it's where the wanna bes, should have been or could have beens end up. I love a good game and don't mind clean physical play. Unfortunately at my age it's tough on me physically to try and play in an A/B league so I have to play in a B/C league. I thought about giving up playing because of some of the D-bags we play against, but I love the game to much to stop.

These are some of the reasons I haven't played league in 1.5 years and just do an organized pickup group. No BS and just nice pace fun with lots of ice time. (about 45 minutes of skating). Hard to beat that 3-4 times a week.

^^ I've found even in organized pick up, there is still fighting and chirping at times. Mainly it's when young kids (early teens) who think they are Sid the Kid going up against the gritty old man who's been playing for 40+ years and doesn't appreciate the crap by the young ones.

Had another game few nights ago, one guy got a game misconduct, and our guy got a major for retaliating. It's getting kind of annoying to be honest. I am there for fun and don't mind a little pushing and hard nose play, but I don't want people getting in my grill over beer league. We were up on this team 4-1 with like 20 seconds left and our guy gets a break away. Guy from the other team skates up hard to back check and can't catch up so he hooks the shit out of him, probably out of frustration. Our guy falls down, instantly gets up and shoves him hard, gets in his face and starts going off. It's like, seriously guys?? On both ends that was idiotic. Refs made both guys leave the ice and head to locker room.

In all fairness, if I'm down by 3 with 20 seconds left and some kid is busting ass for a breakaway then I wouldn't be too pleased, either. It is beer league, is a goal really that important for you when the game is already over?