Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

z1ggy

How Chippy/Chirpy does it get during pick-up/ beer league?

Why rub salt in a wound, drives me crazy and best way to start something. We had a game a couple of weeks ago were we where getting blown out by a team of guys who most of them were right out of juniors and college. There is less then a minute left in the game and one of their top guys fires a rocket of a slap shot with no one in front of him. What made it a total dick move was he was closer than the hash marks. If you expect people to loose with dignity then you need to win with dignity. There is no reason to try and humiliate the other team or have a Stanley Cup celebration when your team scores a goal that puts them 8 ahead of you. Same goes for defending. If the team is that much weaker than you and has enough problems getting off shots you don't need to hammer them or cross check them in front of the net; just push them out of the way. And just like your parents should have taught you, if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

This has been my experience too. Organized pickup games or scrimmages where its the same guys every week make for a very fun time.

I've played on a team of mostly older players. They had a definite strategy of intimidation against younger teams (22-25 yr olds). It was talked about in the locker room pre-game. Mostly because the younger guys were much faster and played a smart game so the older guys tried to equalize by intimidating. And the younger guys, at times, could be intimidated. When they decided to just put their heads down and play their game though, they pretty much creamed the older guys.

These are some of the reasons I haven't played league in 1.5 years and just do an organized pickup group. No BS and just nice pace fun with lots of ice time. (about 45 minutes of skating). Hard to beat that 3-4 times a week.

A strategy of intimidation? That is almost as laughable as the time we had an opponent matching lines.

I played on a team that changed their lines up during the first and second intermissions because "the chemistry wasn't there". We were winning 2-0 and 4-1 at each intermission.

That team also had players that believed in running the goalie and/or other team's best players to "get them off their game". I'm very glad I was able to get off that team after a couple games.

A strategy of intimidation? That is almost as laughable as the time we had an opponent matching lines.

If it works, is it really laughable? Some guys care more about winning than sportsmanship or having fun, that shouldn't be news to anyone.

It always baffles me when people have a problem with teams that want to actually win games in beer league. I'm competitive. I don't want to lose. Period. That being said, I still have to wake up the next day go to work haha. I will always be competitive within that game. After that, it's back to life outside the rink (which is much more important). I always come to the rink with the desire to work harder than anyone else on the ice (it goes for both teams). And I hope that I play on a team that has that same mentality. How is that a problem? I mean, we are all PAYING to play and depriving ourselves of sleep: I better be getting the most out of it haha. Not everyone has that approach but I don't knock them for it. Jerks can be found from both sides of the spectrum.

It always baffles me when people have a problem with teams that want to actually win games in beer league. I'm competitive. I don't want to lose. Period. That being said, I still have to wake up the next day go to work haha. I will always be competitive within that game. After that, it's back to life outside the rink (which is much more important). I always come to the rink with the desire to work harder than anyone else on the ice (it goes for both teams). And I hope that I play on a team that has that same mentality. How is that a problem? I mean, we are all PAYING to play and depriving ourselves of sleep: I better be getting the most out of it haha. Not everyone has that approach but I don't knock them for it. Jerks can be found from both sides of the spectrum.

My issue is with the guys that play well below the level they should play, constantly dive or play the instigator role in a beer league. If I get outworked, then I deserve to lose.

This is a topic of discussion I am pretty passionate about these days.

In Chicago there is really only one rink to play at with multiple leagues from C3 (learn to play essentially) to A/Elite (some former NHL players mostly Junior or College level.)

I play in C, B2 and B. The skill level between the 3 leagues isn't drastically different with the exception that C will have some guys who are a bit less talented. It is the level of effort that is put forth by each player on the ice each shift that really differentiates the 3 leagues.

Ultimately, it is truly a combination of the attitude of the players and the effectiveness of the officiating. Once you get a few guys who would rather slash or hook someone rather than put forth the effort to skate and put themselves in position you will get others who start getting frustrated. Couple this with officials who would rather just see the game come to an end as quickly as possible so they can collect their paycheck and go home it leads to a rather chippy and at times painful game.

The problem with a lot of lower level leagues though are the expectations. In a C beer league, I don't expect the level of effort to really be there, and I don't also expect for people to really be trash talking and going all out. C league in my mind should be either beginner players, or mid level people who just want to have fun.

Things get ruined quickly when you have 1 or 2 guys from either team who go above and beyond the baseline. I want to smile and have fun when I'm in C league, win or lose I am there for fun and to get better. If I want a super competitive league with lots of body contact, pushing and shoving, then I'd go play B.

You have to remember, for every guy who sees C league as a relaxed, fun league there is a guy who sees C league as a step up that he has to put full effort into keeping up. A league can be competitive without lots of body contact, pushing, shoving etc. In fact, usually the higher up the league chain you go the less contact, pushing, shoving etc that you will see, not the other way around.

Yeah I mean, I've played pick up puck with high level guys who've been in the pro's or D1, and there was little to no care, contact or shoving really. But my C league, people are 100% opposite. If I knock you down, it's probably a mistake, and I'm going to ask if you're okay before I skate away, as a gesture that, hey.. I'm not here to be an ass, I'm here for fun.

I'm also in a non checking roller league. It's more relaxed than ice but there's a couple guys who go after people. It is what it is I guess. I try to just have fun.

In all fairness, if I'm down by 3 with 20 seconds left and some kid is busting ass for a breakaway then I wouldn't be too pleased, either. It is beer league, is a goal really that important for you when the game is already over?

To me, it would depend on where that guy falls in the spectrum between star player and fourth-liner who hasn't had a shot on goal for 5 years. Or FNG who can barely skate.

In Chicago there is really only one rink to play at with multiple leagues from C3 (learn to play essentially) to A/Elite (some former NHL players mostly Junior or College level.)

Where do you play?

Can I clarify

Is it ok for someone with my skill level to take the breakaway?

I have played with some of you...I fall right in between the superstar/4th liner spectrum..... I think?

Just want to know so the next time I have a breakaway up 3 with 20 seconds left I can decide between dump n chase or taking the shot.

To me it doesn't matter where you fall in the skill spectrum. On my team you don't even take the breakaway but just circle back and maintain control to run out the clock. The game is over. If the goal is that important to you then we'll be sure to get you a signed scoresheet for your fridge after the game.

I agree. Trying to jamb in a breakaway for a meaningless goal will make the next game against them a lot worse. The only time I would even agree with something like this is if the other team is a bunch of DB's who constantly to that to everyone else. Take the breakaway down and skate it off without shooting if you really feel the need.

Which one?

Twin Rinks, sometimes Glacier, near 30 miles north of you.

Playing in any league there you end up jumping between rinks each game. So I suppose I play at both. :)

My issue is with the guys that play well below the level they should play, constantly dive or play the instigator role in a beer league. If I get outworked, then I deserve to lose.

No doubt. I never understood why guys play down. I like competition. I only 'play down' when it comes to pickup hockey. During those times, I'm just looking to work up a sweat.

No doubt. I never understood why guys play down. I like competition. I only 'play down' when it comes to pickup hockey. During those times, I'm just looking to work up a sweat.

a lot of people do it to play with friends which is why I have in the past..

*or if I feel the need to score a hat trick and hang the ol' score sheet on my fridge

I've seen plenty of guys play down and not be a problem and others that are. If they take it easy, usually playing defense and just distributing the puck then there is no problem. It is the guys who play down and bust ass scoring a bunch of goals that create issues.

If your gonna play down do it for the right reasons and use your talent to help other players learn the game and get better. Instead of ripping one from the point put it in the corner or pass it off, at minimum don't put everything you got into it and hurt someone. It's okay to let the puck carrier take it a little deeper and try to make a move or not skate past everyone and drive the net so someone ends up laying on the ice. I'm not saying don't be productive or play down to an insulting level. Play to the abilities of the guy you are playing against an see if you can get a little more out of him.

Years ago I played in a league that most guys play in where I live. IT simply got out of control in freaking D league hockey. SO much it made me hate the game and I quit for a few years. I came back playing an organized pick up a few years ago and its awesome. Everyone is out there for a good time, get some exercise and a beer w the boys on Friday's. This year I joined a league team, but at a different rink and a higher division, in "C". I could play in a A or B, but its just too demanding on me a few times a week. What a difference. Better skaters, waaaay fewer penalties, better reffing, and over all cleaner games. Now don't get me wrong, I have no issue w the guys learning the game playing in a lower level division. You have to learn somewhere.

Maybe its cause I'm a few years older now, and matured a bit or something ;) But I have a lot more fun these days playing. I still wanna try hard, score a few goals and win games, but not to the point where Im upset after the game if we lose. If we lost, we got out worked plain and simple. My 4yr old son comes to watch when we play early enough and its pretty rewarding when he high fives me after a game and says "DAD!!! you scored a goal for me, right!!!??".

Im back in love w the game again.

it does get out of hand for sure , but I would not want the other team to "backoff" play till the clock runs out , nothing wrong with giving a full effort no matter what the score is , if someone cant handle losing a game weather its by one goal or ten goals then maybe they shouldn't play in a league , we all want to have fun that's why we should be there , but that does not mean you should have to lay down so to speak, our team has won by a bunch of goals and we have lost by a bunch of goals as well and so far the guys in the adult league have acted like adults as far as that goes , if it wasn't competitive then they wouldn't keep score