Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Boston Bruins: 2014-2015

Things are just a bit too cushy over there and it's starting to affect the on ice product.

Just frustrating because they have the talent to be much better than this.

Couldn't have said it better.

Way to comfortable!

That was a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde game last night. There were times when they couldn't get out of their zone to save their lives and other times where they were swarming all over the Pens. All in all, they were lucky to get out of there with a win but there were some positives. Some guys were definitely moving their feet a lot more than they have been.

It's Tuukka. If you throw out the OT goal by Bobby Ryan, which was a misplay by his defense, he's had a .950 save percentage the last three games. Considering he's only hit that mark in six other games, this is easily his best stretch of the season. More importantly, he's looking better; he just seems more confident and is stopping the shots he's supposed to.

The defense didn't look as composed as they did the past two games, but I'll give a bit of the credit to Pittsburgh. One thing I've noticed is the Bruins' breakout is very susceptible to the amount forecheck pressure they face. Everybody knows it's D-to-D, up to the wing, pass to the center. When the defenseman pinches down on the winger, he's facing in a way that is often tough for him to get the puck out of the zone, and the next thing you know, the other team gets thirty-three seconds of offensive zone time.

Devils did not look like they came out to play hockey. Such a lopsided game, although, the score should have really been much higher than it was...

A good win against a strong opponent. Apparently, Julien thinks they may have turned a corner since he put all the lines back to normal during the game.

Whats next, shipping Pasternak back to Providence to make room for Jordan Caron.

I am happy to see them playing better, but the underlying issue with this team is still there. They've gotta shed the dead weight and fix their cap issues. They also need to stop locking up veteran 3rd & 4th liners. Guys like Campbell, Paille, and Kelly are not core players and are easily replaced.

I think you are undervaluing Campbell and Paille. We have seen how that 4th unit struggles when one or the other is missing and none of the kids from Providence have been able to fill those voids.

I see your point, but I can't help but wonder if we are overvaluing a 4th line. Do we actually need those seasoned vets as opposed to say Spooner, Cunningham & Griffith.

Cunningham seems to have found his home on the 4th line for the moment. I don't think Griffith or Spooner are built to be 4th line guys. Grinding and plugging aren't where their skill sets are. Those guys are top 9 if not top 6 kind of players.

I agree it would be nice to be able to spend that money elsewhere but they haven't had a good track record at backfilling that 4th line with kids. They have done well in grooming a single youngster with the vets on that fourth line. Lucic and Marchand both started down there, built confidence and worked their ways up the depth chart.

Cunningham seems to have found his home on the 4th line for the moment. I don't think Griffith or Spooner are built to be 4th line guys. Grinding and plugging aren't where their skill sets are. Those guys are top 9 if not top 6 kind of players.

With Julien, isn't everyone supposed to be a plugger or grinder?

It looks like they are starting to play they way they should. I hope they continue to build off of this.

I also hope Chiarelli still looks to add a player or two. It would be just like him to see this current stretch and think he doesn't need to add anyone.

He added Pasternak. :wink:

Chiarelli's biggest task will be deciding whether he's buying or selling at the deadline. All depends on where they sit in the standings. That said, I do feel they need at least one body up front and a depth guy on the back end.

Getting Krecji back was like making a trade. Suddenly you have a top center that makes multiple lines function again, and they didn't have to give anything up.

Like everyone else, I love the idea of a trade to get a better top 6 guy, but there's no cap room, right? I think they're kind of stuck with who they have, more or less.

Getting Krecji back was like making a trade. Suddenly you have a top center that makes multiple lines function again, and they didn't have to give anything up.

Like everyone else, I love the idea of a trade to get a better top 6 guy, but there's no cap room, right? I think they're kind of stuck with who they have, more or less.

He would have to trim some salary for sure.

As nice as it was to see Kelly jump to defend a teammate, He has been a big disappointment since he signed his last contract. He would be an obvious choice for someone to try to move.

But who takes Kelly with that contract?

Good question. Maybe a team with a lower salary cap hit if younger players are thrown in as part of a deal.

Tough to move him that's for sure, especially considering he has a no trade clause.

Chiarelli better stop giving out no trade clauses or they will end up like Toronto when Sundin and his high profile teammates didn't want to go anywhere and handcuffed the team with aging players and no to get rid of them and rebuild.

It is the nature of the game these days. It is tough to find a long tenured player who doesn't get some kind of no movement clause worked into his deal to sign another contract to stay with his current team.

They are going to have a tough time this summer. With the likes of Krejci, Soderberg, Hamilton, Krug, and Smith all coming due and the latter 4 looking for nice raises there are going to be some hard decisions to be made. Campbell, McQuaid, and Paille are also up for new deals this summer and the Bruins may have to part ways with all of them to fit all of the other new deals in.

Good win against the Stars tonight. I hope they can get a strong game and a win tomorrow.

Rask looked very good again.

Anyone think Seguin was trying to prove something tonight.

I didn't see the game but I was glad they once again were able to beat a team that they should beat. If only they could do that against the Blue Jackets.

Not to the extent of the recent record between the two teams. The Bruins are playing those games not to lose and we all know what happens when you do that. They need to play with a nothing to lose attitude and it just isn't there. Too much thinking and not enough playing.

true, but perhaps it may be more of a matchup problem than anything. I guess I dont buy a whole lot into a particular team getting into another teams head, during the course of the regular season.