Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quickstrike32

Skates down 3-3.5 sizes from shoe?

Hello I'm getting back into the game after 15 years and wow have skates changed. I'm a 11.5-12.5 shoe kind of on the wide side.I went in expecting to be a 10-10.5 and was told that skates are a lot smaller than they used to be. After trying on about 10 pairs of skates, some of them 2 or 3 times, my local guy was convinced I need a 8.5 Nexus, 9 RBZ, 9.5 in Tacks, all regular width. I didn't leave with anything despite spending 3 hours there until I cut my fingers from lacing all of them up. None of them felt wide enough but he insisted that baking and punching will fix that.

Either you mis-remembered or he didn't fit you right. Tacks and Bauer generally have a similar sizing range. Thus you shouldn't be a full size different between them. RBZ fits larger, so that skate should be the lowest size number of the three. If I were forced to guess, I'd say you didn't try EE in any of them.

Either you mis-remembered or he didn't fit you right. Tacks and Bauer generally have a similar sizing range. Thus you shouldn't be a full size different between them. RBZ fits larger, so that skate should be the lowest size number of the three. If I were forced to guess, I'd say you didn't try EE in any of them.

He had 1 skate in EE and it was a 9 RBK 30. It fit ok but was still a bit small. He made me tap my toes until they are all the way at the front them put 1 finger in my heel. If he could fit it all the way, he said it was too big. I was a full size between the Nexus and Tacks, same size in the RBZ and Nexus.

OK I don't think you should buy anything until you get to try on EE in everything. Reconsider the RBZ size because if fit properly, that skate should be your smallest numerical size.

OK I don't think you should buy anything until you get to try on EE in everything. Reconsider the RBZ size because if fit properly, that skate should be your smallest numerical size

He's the only shop that carries wide albeit not many. He said he can order anything but wasn't willing to order several different skates to try. I wore 9.5 wide in 652 tacks back in the day so I see what you are saying.

Food for thought: A lot of people with wide feet who were improperly fit tend to get skates that are too big size-wise to compensate for extra width. Ideally, you should get a skate that's the correct length size-wise and the proper width.

I see this issue on new customers coming in all the time.

Food for thought: A lot of people with wide feet who were improperly fit tend to get skates that are too big size-wise to compensate for extra width. Ideally, you should get a skate that's the correct length size-wise and the proper width.

I see this issue on new customers coming in all the time.

Yup. He's trying to get me into D width because that's primarily in his inventory. He said I shouldn't worry about width because he can gain some by baking and punching them.

If he could hypothetically do so, then you ought to drop down in sizing. See if he can widen a stock pair in the proper size for you to try then.

Hello I'm getting back into the game after 15 years and wow have skates changed. I'm a 11.5-12.5 shoe kind of on the wide side.I went in expecting to be a 10-10.5 and was told that skates are a lot smaller than they used to be. After trying on about 10 pairs of skates, some of them 2 or 3 times, my local guy was convinced I need a 8.5 Nexus, 9 RBZ, 9.5 in Tacks, all regular width. I didn't leave with anything despite spending 3 hours there until I cut my fingers from lacing all of them up. None of them felt wide enough but he insisted that baking and punching will fix that.

3-3.5 sizes down sounds out of the ordinary, but it's possible. It's very common to be 2-2.5 sizes down from your DRESS SHOE size however. You state a pretty wide range for your shoe size. Is this dress shoe size, and do you wear dress shoes to snug fit or bigger for comfort? But in the end, don't go off shoe size - it's just a reference. Did they have a CCM footdisc or a Bauer Brannock? This will give you a better reference to start from than your shoe size. IMHO, you should focus on getting proper length first (so important for heel lock), then make sure volume is good, and then width. (width imho is the easiest to change via stretching/punching)

I wear 8.5-9 shoes and fit 5.5-6 in some skates but I need a EE in some so that doesn't sound off for me since I prefer fitted skates. Keep in mind that your toes pull back more when you're in skating position with your knees bent so it is fine if the length feels snug when you're standing straight up.

Fyi... Skates are now different, as you probably noticed. What some do not understand is that not all feet can fit in the same skate.

My foot is wide and with bauer you cannot even think of going into vapor (too narrow even in EE) i have supremes in EE and need to have them worked on as they are still too narrow...but debate moving onto the new tacks. Tried on the nexus and they where sweet in the toe box.

I also cannot wear reebok...once again too narrow at the toe...really looking forward to trying on tacks when i have the chance.

The size 9 Tacks felt good in the heel but were a little small in the toe and he didn't have a 9.5 or 9 wide. The Nexus had too much depth and my heel slipped a lot. The RBZ slipped a little in the heel and needed a little more room in the toe.

He had 1 skate in EE and it was a 9 RBK 30. It fit ok but was still a bit small. He made me tap my toes until they are all the way at the front them put 1 finger in my heel. If he could fit it all the way, he said it was too big. I was a full size between the Nexus and Tacks, same size in the RBZ and Nexus.

And by the sounds of it he is sizing you incorrectly for length. Test for length first then check for width. It takes longer to try on skates but it is worth it.

Pull the laces all the way out, pull the tongue right out, foot into the boot and have your toes feathering the toe cap. Bend forward over your foot and if you can slide a pencil down the back of your heel / boot then you need to go down at least 1/2 a size.

The reason you pull the laces and tongue out is so that it removes any width issues which can effect how the skates fit you for length. Once you get the right length, then laces in and try them for width.

At a good shop, baking / spot punching / stretching can generally turn a D into an E or EE around the forefoot. Personally I concentrate on the heel width first as it is hard to fix heel slippage, you need a good lock. Then you can worry about the forefoot and this is generally easily fixable at a good shop.

And by the sounds of it he is sizing you incorrectly for length. Test for length first then check for width. It takes longer to try on skates but it is worth it.

Pull the laces all the way out, pull the tongue right out, foot into the boot and have your toes feathering the toe cap. Bend forward over your foot and if you can slide a pencil down the back of your heel / boot then you need to go down at least 1/2 a size.

The reason you pull the laces and tongue out is so that it removes any width issues which can effect how the skates fit you for length. Once you get the right length, then laces in and try them for width.

At a good shop, baking / spot punching / stretching can generally turn a D into an E or EE around the forefoot. Personally I concentrate on the heel width first as it is hard to fix heel slippage, you need a good lock. Then you can worry about the forefoot and this is generally easily fixable at a good shop.

He told me to push my foot as far forward as I can and if I can fit a finger than go down 1/2 size. I wish he had more options for size...no one in town seems to. I'm close to ordering a bunch of stuff from Hockeymonkey but I'm afraid to order skates online.

Even the best fit is still reliant on good feedback from the person with their foot in the boot. I am not a big believer in punching new skates, unless you have a really abnormal foot shape. There's also a big difference between pressure and pain, baking will relieve a little pressure, but not even punching will always relieve pain. It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of how they should feel, just ignore the numbers and go for what feels best on your foot.

Even the best fit is still reliant on good feedback from the person with their foot in the boot. I am not a big believer in punching new skates, unless you have a really abnormal foot shape. There's also a big difference between pressure and pain, baking will relieve a little pressure, but not even punching will always relieve pain. It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of how they should feel, just ignore the numbers and go for what feels best on your foot.

Every skate was small in the toe except the Nexus. The depth was my biggest issue with Nexus which was causing my foot to move. Maybe I should try a different insole?

The size 9 Tacks felt good in the heel but were a little small in the toe and he didn't have a 9.5 or 9 wide. The Nexus had too much depth and my heel slipped a lot. The RBZ slipped a little in the heel and needed a little more room in the toe.

Keep in mind that if you go with an EE in CCM, you're looking at the whole boot being slightly wider, not just the forefoot. So if the Tacks/RBZs felt good to you in 9D but tight in the forefoot, going to a 9EE might help the toe issue, but the heel may no longer feel as good. Going up to a 9.5D is going to cause problems, if the 9Ds felt good.

Every skate was small in the toe except the Nexus. The depth was my biggest issue with Nexus which was causing my foot to move. Maybe I should try a different insole?

did you try on a pair of supremes? If the nexus felt good but was too deep. Its a little bit different of a fit but could work. Also if you're going to order skates online to try on go with ice warehouse they offer free return shipping on skates not sure if hockey monkey does that.

Just adding my experiences, I wear a 7 shoe (Nike, Emerica, etc) and recently fit into a 3.5 Nexus 6000

Depending on how deep was too deep, a Superfeet insole might help out on the Nexus; in my experience they take up a good amount of depth in the boot

did you try on a pair of supremes? If the nexus felt good but was too deep. Its a little bit different of a fit but could work. Also if you're going to order skates online to try on go with ice warehouse they offer free return shipping on skates not sure if hockey monkey does that.

Yea the Supreme 9.5 hurt everywhere. Ice Warehouse offers free returns if you buy something from their IWin program and join their membership.

Yea the Supreme 9.5 hurt everywhere. Ice Warehouse offers free returns if you buy something from their IWin program and join their membership.

I guess the Supremes won't work for you then. Sorry about the bad info on ice warehouse they must have changed that recently it used to be for everyone.

I guess the Supremes won't work for you then. Sorry about the bad info on ice warehouse they must have changed that recently it used to be for everyone.

No problem. I've been debating ordering skates with the huge order I'm about to place through Hockeymonkey. They have some killer clearance deals and 25% off.