Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Innocent Bystander

Skate after bake...

I know the old rules were to wait at least 24 hours after baking to skate, but it seems to me I see a lot of posts where people are skating within an hour or so after baking. Is it safe to skate a few hours after a bake with the newer skates?

Depends. Is it worth it to take the chance on something you spent hundreds of dollars on?

Realistically you can probably skate on them as soon as they're cool (couple hours) but do you really have something so pressing that you can't wait 24 hours for?

A good 8-12 hours is still standard, 24 preferred.. but if you're in a rush, put them in your fridge or freezer for an hour or two. But no, don't skate on them directly after baking.

The skates are arriving a day later than expected at our LHS and my daughter is on the ice tomorrow night to run a couple of ice sessions for younger kids. The skating is not going to be very strenuous, but it would be nice for her to skate on them a bit before her game on Saturday. I don't expect she will be able to break in the new skates, but I would like for her to have some time in them. So, no real hurry if she wants to wait until after the weekend to skate on them. Besides, you guys tell a 13 year old rink rat that they can't skate on their new skates.

Thanks for the advice. We will get them baked in the morning and then freeze them for a few hours. Sounds like that will be ok from what I am gathering.

The other less comfortable option is don't bake them right away. See if the LHS will let her skate in them tonight and maybe tomorrow morning and bake them after she's done and can let them sit for 24 hours.

I spoke with CCM on this issue and they advised to just wait until the skates were cool. When pressed they suggested 2-3 hours for proper cool times. They did advise against freezing them though. Just thought this could be useful for others faced with a time crunch when baking new skates.

I spoke with CCM on this issue and they advised to just wait until the skates were cool. When pressed they suggested 2-3 hours for proper cool times. They did advise against freezing them though. Just thought this could be useful for others faced with a time crunch when baking new skates.

That sounds a little odd to me. That would mean that you shouldn't play on an outdoor rink with them?

Sorry, I should have been more clear on that. I did indeed mean freezing them directly after baking as a means to lessen the cure time. Thanks for clearing that up for me Monty.

They were skated on 4 hours after baking and have been skated on hard for another 2-3 hours since. They are certainly no worse for the wear and the form on the ankle section is holding up nicely... actually improving with every wearing. No complaints of hot spots or sore feet of any kind.