Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chapel

Looking for comfortable skates ~$300 or less. (2014)

If the Nexus skate felt comfortable and tight (no pain, yet at the same time, not swimming around inside it), then you have a wide heel.

I thought the Nexus D had an A heel?

Me too. Thought Nexus have a narrow heel and a wide forefoot.

edit: Yeah, read it here: http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Bauer_Nexus_6000_Ice_Hockey_Skates_Sr_/descpage-BNX6S.html

Fit Guidelines: General fit aspects of the Nexus boot are medium-high volume, narrow heel area, medium-wide across the top of the foot and a medium-wide toe box

Not sure where you're getting your info, but from experience and according to Bauer's fitment guideline this is how a Nexus fits when compared to the others in the Bauer lineup (see images below):

(A Nexus heel is labeled as a standard A-width, but has a deep heel pocket which makes it larger. I have a narrow heel and a wide forefoot and I couldn't get a Nexus D to work--the heel was just too wide and, as result, I got a lot of ankle movement! I have use a Vapor EE to get the right fit for my foot as the Supreme D toebox is too narrow and a Supreme EE heel is just too wide)

Bauer-Skate-Comparison.jpg

bauerskatefitchart-small.jpg

Not sure where you're getting your info, but from experience and according to Bauer's fitment guideline this is how a Nexus fits when compared to the others in the Bauer lineup (see images below):

(A Nexus heel is labeled as a standard A-width, but has a deep heel pocket which makes it larger. I have a narrow heel and a wide forefoot and I couldn't get a Nexus D to work--the heel was just too wide and, as result, I got a lot of ankle movement! I have use a Vapor EE to get the right fit for my foot as the Supreme D toebox is too narrow and a Supreme EE heel is just too wide)

I took my info from a different thread on this site. However when I did try on a nexus D the heel did feel wider than a supreme so the deeper heel pocket does make sense.

tried on some Nexus 6000s and a bunch of other skates (no Grafs)

liked the Nexus'. want to try some Grafs though.

If you liked the Nexus, you may want to try the CCM RBZ80. I currently have some Graf Ultra G5's and had them punched a few times over the course of a year or so and finally got them to where I felt no more hot spots or discomfort. I was looking for new skates under the $300 price point as well and my foot is on the cusp of a D and an E and I have a flat arch. The Nexus felt like it had too much overall volume for my foot, whereas the RBZ80 felt great for my foot, especially after inserting their aftermarket footbed.

How about Reeboks?

Friend of mine has 20Ks he's going to lend me

These 2000s aren't working out for me like they were when I was stronger.

I can only provide limited info as follows...

I currently have bauer supreme one 60 10.5 EE and aftter skating for a year in them had them punched and to do that they had to heat them....wow what a difference.

While i was at it i tried on some ccm rbz and tacks. I liked both for the toe box, but did not like the feel up high when laced...they just don't feel the same as the bauers to me...i've tried on vapors , reebok pumps and even grafs...they do not work well for my foot. The nexus felt good, but was trying on a longer skate and need to try in size 10 sometime.

You should look on ebay under perani inc. You may find a deal on some older new stock at affordable rates. They never have my size...but have picked up some other gear deals on older stock that works for me and fits my budget

The RS definitely has plenty of volume to it, I've considered a slightly thicker insole since there is a little excess volume right at the base of my toes. They aren't super wide but they do accomodate my slightly wider forefoot, similar to how Reebok and some old CCMs fit my feet.

I found the RS to be narrower than the Supremes, at least in the places where I needed width in the arch-midfoot area. The outside of each skate put a lot of pressure on the outside edge of my foot.

You can always wait until next year when CCM brings out their next RBZ type skate.

I haven't played in 15 years and I'm anxious to get on the ice. I bought all new everything but can't find skates that feel right.

Since it has been so long, any of the newer skates will require some time to adapt. With the advances in technology and molding over the last 15 years, all of the current skates will feel foreign. One recommendation I would make before you keep bouncing from skate to skate, settle on a pair for now and if they still feel a little off then swap out the holders for holders that most closely resemble, if not match, the last ones you felt comfortable on 15 years ago.

I haven't played in 15 years and I'm anxious to get on the ice. I bought all new everything but can't find skates that feel right.

What did you skate in before you stopped? Was that a good fit for you? Have your feet changed?

What did you skate in before you stopped? Was that a good fit for you? Have your feet changed?

I always wore Tacks in 9.5 E. 652, 752 Kevlar, and 952's. I tried on my 652s a week ago and they seem short

Here is what I did to keep it under $300.....Great so far I will give you updates!

Bauer Supreme 160 Skate $159 with 20 percent off at HM.

SuperFeet insoles to get rid of the garbage insole in the 160's. .$35

LS3 runners $69 minus $20 bucks from getting my skates from Hockey Monkey. $49

$243 for upgrades and comfortable skates!