Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

akravetz

Stick advice for my 9yo son

My son made the academic honor roll this past quarter getting straight A's. he also did well in guitar and another things so I told him as his grades come first that if he did well, I'd get him a new stick. He's played travel hockey for two years and been playing before that since he was four. He's never had a new stick. Now, he's playing with a cut down junior Vapor stick. No clue what model though I think it's a rather low-end. He's 4'1" and weighs about 50 pounds. Fast as hell but little upper body strength so he can't get much on his shot.

I realize that he can't use the whip yet nor does he know how to do all the stuff with the top end sticks. I also know we are likely gonna buy based upon looks but is there anything that I should look for. I used to play with wood sticks at that age so I am partial to that. However, all his friends have the fancy sticks and he's wanted one for years. I got him that old Vapor at a used gear sale with the above promise. So it's time to start looking.

Anything we get is gonna have to be cut down and he was using a cut down adult CCM last year. Thoughts? Also, for you hockey store guys, I have heard that Dick's and other places that sell sticks such as the APX2 or Mako or whatever don't have the same APX2 or Mako that a Total Hockey or LHS might have. He doesn't need a high end stick but he wants to be like his buddies who all have fancy sticks.

Lastly, my buddies say not to get a youth stick as they are too small for him now. I point out that he's the smallest kid on the team and only 50 pounds. Their kids are bigger, for sure, but they also say that looking at my boy, he's needs a heavier duty stick. I say smaller and lighter the better. He's not going to snap it unless he bangs it on the ice.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your help

Andy in Peoria

He should be able to flex the stick when taking a wrist shot or he will learn bad shooting mechanics. A cut down adult stick will never do that. A 9 year old should be able to use the whip in a stick if he has been playing for a couple years and has been using the right flex for a while.

He's finally learning good shooting technique. Our program focuses mostly on skating and positioning and gives way too little attention to the mechanics of shooting and using a stick. And he does use cutdown sticks as Mom and Dad are trying to save money. Our program isn't a powerhouse and he's not in Triple A. He plays on a lower level travel program due to his size and the coach's preferences. :)

I'll check out that other thread as well but my point is that he is gonna get a new stick. Should I just get a lower-end version of what he likes in terms of looks or not? Is there a difference between Dick's and LHS sticks

Andy in Peoria

Is it more important that he have a "cool" stick, and will that make him a better kid or a better hockey player?

...or is it more important that he have a stick that fits him correctly for length and flex--with which he can actually develop proper form and become a better player.

I do think it's cool that you're rewarding his academic and musical effort.

Sherwood has a pretty good selection of 30-flex intermediate one piece composite sticks that can be had for $20-40 on sale, but given his height, I'd assume his hands are smaller and you should probably be looking for youth sticks?

The APX sticker is going to run you $129

The APX2 sticker is $199

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-vapor-jr-sticks.html

Most top of the line junior sticks are not the same construction as the senior models, so you are mostly paying for the paint that says APX2, etc. Performance wise, they are not that much better than the lower models of the line, mostly marketing hype.. I will warn you, kids know when they see a Sports Authority or Dicks SMU stick and they can be cruel to whomever has it. Perhaps not so much at his level but I'll tell a story of a dad who bought a VAPOR labeled stick at Dick's for his teen. At the face off circle the other center pointed at the stick and made some comments about Wallmart, etc. Kid gave the stick back to his dad and said he'd never use it again.

I think your boy would be fine with a 45 or 47 flex junior flex stick. Since he's already told you he wants the fancy stick his friends have, bite the bullet and get one.

I know Sherwood and Warrior both carry 40 flex junior sticks. I think this should be what your kid is looking for. I believe (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that the 40 flex sticks are also shorter than the 50 flex, so you won't have to cut into it as much.

It is more important for my son to get better but a few things about my son. He was in Target skates for two years and didn't care. He just got new elbow pads this year after using hand-me-downs. My son loves his "new" Bauer that I got him at the used gear sale and none of his friends are saying a word to him about it being "crappy." He just wants the cool-looking Easton or Bauer sticks that his friends have as they look cool. He has no idea how to use them. We are working on a shooting pad (a piece of wood with a polished surface, $10 at the hardware store) to help with his shot. He could keep on using his stick and he'd be thrilled. But I told him that school was hugely important so I wanna follow up. (In that vein, he had a bad day, got in trouble and also missed practice that night too so it goes both ways).

the APX2 at Dick's is $70 in the Youth version. I realize that it's not the same as the adult but is it a horrible buy. They have Easton Stealths (the black and yellow sticks) for $89 at Dick's. I could also take him to Total Hockey or a LHS in a neighboring town to get him a stick but it'd cost a bit more and well, he doesn't know how to use it.

Is a Youth Stick for a kid who is 51 pounds or so, 4'1" too flimsy? I'll look at Sherwood and Warrior sticks but we'd have to go to a Total Hockey or out of town for that. Dick's or our local sporting goods store doesn't carry. Peoria doesn't have much in the way of a hockey store and the nearest one (LHS) is 40 minutes from here.

Andy

It's probably not too flimsy, but I'm not sure it'll be tall enough, or if it is, it'll be just barely. At age 9, where he's going to start growing pretty fast soon anyway, it'd be better to get him into a junior stick with a softer flex. IMO, the blades on junior sticks tend to be of better quality (nevermind a little longer for catching passes) than youth sticks, so that's something else to consider. You'll also have a much larger blade selection.

It is more important for my son to get better but a few things about my son. He was in Target skates for two years and didn't care. He just got new elbow pads this year after using hand-me-downs. My son loves his "new" Bauer that I got him at the used gear sale and none of his friends are saying a word to him about it being "crappy."

Like jimmy said, kids can be little shits.

I am VERY glad to hear that your son is cool, and so are his teammates. Have an awesome season.

4 ft 1 in and 50 pounds. He needs a youth stick. A junior model will be too stiff to begin with, especially so after you cut it down. Do you want him to have the proper equipment or do you want him to look cool? I think by reading your posts you are more concerned about his performance. A quick google search and I found a CCM RBZ 130 youth stick with a 35 flex and is 43" long for $40. It would be a perfect stick for your kid, proper fit and flex plus it has the cool factor. I'm sure the same type of stick could be found in Bauer, Easton, Sherwood, etc. if you looked.

I try to be loyal to the LHS whenever possible but since you are talking about going to a large retailer like Dick's I don't think anybody here would take offense if you ordered online through one of the big online shops.

I agree with the previous poster. At his current height and weight AND ability (given what you have so far said) he needs a youth stick. For goodness sake, a junior stick would be taller than he is!!! A youth stick is typically 47" long, he is 49" tall. At his age (and agility from what you have said), the stick should come up to around his chin or slightly below when he is in skates (the shorter the stick the better the puck handling and control, as he gets better the stick can get longer) so you are going to look at cutting an inch or so from a youth stick to get it to the right length.

Hunt the specials online, for example Hockey Monkey have youth Easton RS 2's 40 flex iggys for $40, at this price he gets the best of all worlds - a great stick, close to the right flex, and super cool looking all at the right price.....

And personally I think the iggy curve is a great curve for juniors to learn with, a really good all round curve thats not great at anything specifically but very multi purposeful.

The things I tell parents and kids I coach, get the length right, then the flex, then the curve, then the brand. These are the decisions you should work thru when buying a stick.

He should be able to flex the stick when taking a wrist shot or he will learn bad shooting mechanics. A cut down adult stick will never do that. A 9 year old should be able to use the whip in a stick if he has been playing for a couple years and has been using the right flex for a while.

Agreed. My 9 yr old has a good wrister and uses the flex (30 flex). He is a Sq travel and still uses a youth. My view is that a thicker or stiffer stick (junior/int) will take away the flex contributing to his his shot. In the driveway, he uses a wood/ABS street hockey stick with no flex and his wrister is noticeably weaker. His slapshot is better though. Since he can't use slapshots in a game yet, the youth 30 flex is the way to go for us. That being said, he's broken a green biscuit snipe taking slapshots, so, I'm looking forward to the day he can use it, and will likely jump up in flex then.

It's all be covered, so I'll just say congrats to your kid and his accomplishments. Hope he enjoys his new twig, he earned it!

Looking at my son's stick now. It's a Bauer Vapor X:15 with a 52 flex and a P88 curve. He loves it. The stick comes up to nose when he is in his skates. Now, he plays Defense for the most part and when he skates, he gets really low, pumps his legs and drives, pushing the stick outward. I hate to brag on my kid but I am a dad. :) He's damn fast for his size. He often likes to skate it out of his own zone, through traffic and then dish it off to a winger. He's getting better at stretch passes. But he has no slap shot to speak of. No snap shot. His wrister is okay but getting better. His passes can be hard and crisp but often, he flips them, causing the puck to float like a wounded duck. but he's practicing in the driveway with an old CCM composite that was cut down from an adult model.

I am intrigued by the CCM stick mentioned above and love the Iggy curve which actually I have on my Mako.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate hearing from you all. So many parents are pushing me to get something that I was convinced wasn't the right move and y'all cinched it. My son needs to get stronger but for right now, a youth stick is pretty good for him.

I also like the Iginla curve for young players. It's a nice, balanced curve that keeps a young player, especially, from getting dependent on using a sick, open face curve to elevate the puck. Also a good curve for stick handling and backhands. Just an all around good curve for youth players. My own son uses an Iginla curve.

If you are looking at a CCM stick get a Tavares.

It's already been said in several responses - get him a youth/junior stick. I coach squirts and see handful of kids at the start of each season trying to use their Dad's old stick, or a hand-me down broken stick from a high school or college player. At that age/size, there's virtually no flex remaining in the shaft and even the blade size/curve can be really tough to manage. Add to that a 'thicker' shaft, which most of these kids can't properly grip, and you see kids struggling with something that could be solved with a $30-$50 stick from the LHS in the rink. So, kill two birds with one stone - get the youth/junior stick, support your LHS, and give your kid a nice looking stick that's useful to him. Most kids are happy to have anything that says 'Warrior' on it...

And one more thing - make sure he's having fun. The level of 'cool-ness' of any gear should always be put in perspective. One of my best players can't afford much in the way of 'new' stuff and looks like a 50 yr old shinny guy with retro Jofa and Koho gear. What's 'cool' about him is the fact that he can skate, pass and shoot.

I stress fun and I stress effort. I have told him repeatedly that it doesn't matter to me if he wins or loses, if he scores or doesn't, if he is the fastest or the slowest. What I want him is to walk off the ice and tell me he did the best he could. As long as he does that, there's no discussion of hockey during the three-hour car ride home. Yes, Peoria is true travel hockey, going up to Chicago every damn weekend. And no, we aren't the family who has all the fancy stuff. But there's nothing more than I like when the rich Chicago kids are burned by the shortest kid on the ice who can skate rings around them wearing old ripped up pants and hand-me-down Eagle gloves from a used gear sale. :)

But you are right. We try to make it fun and to that end, we always go to public skate where he can clown with his friends and be a kid. Or we don't if he's burned out. I am a realist, even if it drives my wife crazy. I'm 5'4, she's 5'. He's not playing pro hockey. My hope is that he can make it through high school given the checking from likely much larger kids. My only goal is for him to be able to play one game with me when he's 16 and is eligible to play in the men's league. But youth sports is more than scores; it's about life lessons. Working hard. Effort, Heart. All are traits that can help you in college, jobs or life.

Back to sticks. I am a big fan of the Iggy curve and will look at Tavares. I am pretty well set on the youth stick as it's cheaper and even if he breaks it, the cost to replace is still less than a lower-end junior stick.

Thanks again to everyone for their comments. I know we have been repeating some of the same things over and over again so I'll let the thread stop. Why I love this forum, I can hear from people who really know, not just dads who are living their lives through their kids.

Andy in Peoria

THe boy settled on the Warrior Covert QR4 (the $70 one) in the junior version. I will let you know what how it goes with him and what he thinks about it. Thanks again

Wood!......get him a good quality wood stick! Feel,....feel,feel....did I mention feel???? He is not ready for bar down rockets from the blue line! Let him develop FEEL from a wood stick!