Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AfftonDad

Checking/Pinning from behind

In USA Hockey's teaching materials they teach that you can "pin" from behind. But of course we all know that checking from behind is illegal and cheap. This has always been a source of confusion for me and now that I am trying to teach bantams to check I don't really know what to tell them as far as what differentiates a legal pin from behind from an illegal check from behind. Obviously if the puck carrier's head is down, you want to avoid either one. I'm curious though if anyone (particularly referees who have been trained in this topic) can provide me with what it is that they look for that differentiates an illegal check from behind from a legal pin from behind (is it really just a matter of how hard the pressure is applied?) Thanks.

F8Uffdo.jpg

The major difference is that pinning from behind isn't done with anywhere near the same initial force as checking from behind. Also, the pinner is maintaining contact with the pinnee the whole time whereas a check is contact and separation. The pinner is bringing the pinnee toward the boards and not propelling the pinnee into the boards.

Pinning is done when both of you are close to the boards or on them. Checking from behind would be if the player is off the boards and you contact him with sufficient force. You can ride someone into the boards and pin them but it's not a check because you have body on body contact all the way. I think Brian Burke's idea of the bear hug is a good way to help stop boarding and some checking from behind. You can pin someone in different ways. The picture shows pinning them with your leg between theirs. You can pin body on body, by pushing them , anything to keep them tight on the boards without holding or interference.

Sounds like there is a lot of potential for "gray area" (that's frequently the case with a lot of hockey calls though). At least I have some rules of thumb I can tell the kids. Thanks.

In Canada, and I think for IIHF, pinning and lassoing are supposed to be called as Holding.

In Canada, and I think for IIHF, pinning and lassoing are supposed to be called as Holding.

It makes sense. Whether you're using your arm or you leg, it's holding.

And you want to minimize the occurence of accidents like this one, albeit rare.

cookekarlssoncap.png?w=282

same with USA Hockey last time I checked too.

That page is from a document currently on USA hockey's website under Coaches -> Checking Materials -> Checking Manual. So if the USA Hockey rule book penalizes it, USA hockey has a disconnect in their materials (I wouldn't be surprised).

EDIT:

There is an asktheofficial email link on the USAHockey website. I just asked the question at that email address. I'll let you know if they reply.

That page is from a document currently on USA hockey's website under Coaches -> Checking Materials -> Checking Manual. So if the USA Hockey rule book penalizes it, USA hockey has a disconnect in their materials (I wouldn't be surprised).

EDIT:

There is an asktheofficial email link on the USAHockey website. I just asked the question at that email address. I'll let you know if they reply.

The answer (if any) will come back as some flavor of "discretion of the official"

When Canada was making the officiating changes towards zero tolerance for obstruction, my son was still taught lassoing and pinning in summer training. The first half of the next season was a learning experience for the coaches, refs, and the players. But in the end, I think it was worth it. Skill is taught and emphasized a lot more now.

When Canada was making the officiating changes towards zero tolerance for obstruction, my son was still taught lassoing and pinning in summer training. The first half of the next season was a learning experience for the coaches, refs, and the players. But in the end, I think it was worth it. Skill is taught and emphasized a lot more now.

The problem with USA Hockey is that the people voting on the rules and the officiating department seem to be on very different wavelengths. Every time there is a more strict regulation handed down, the officials find a way to water it down.

It's to my knowledge that coaches don't go over the rule book at their clinics so their is no surprises when a new rule change is put in place and teams need 'time to adjust.' As for the water-down affect, it's sad but true. The problem is that if an official goes by the rules, people start complaining that 'he/she isn't letting them play' haha. Never-ending cycle.