Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beedee

Wheel configuration question.

I'm taking some time away from ice hockey and decided that playing roller would be a great way to pass the time until I get back on the ice. I am 200lbs fully geared up.

My old skates are Mission Heliums with the HiLo configuration, currently the back two wheels are a dual pour RinkRat 80mm/80a I believe (i forget the model), and the fronts are a dual pour RinkRat 76mm/76a. These skates suck, they literally have zero padding in the heel to keep it locked in place, I was over them and was on the hunt for new skates. The speed and grip of the combo seem decent, however I haven't really experimented too much with other durometers. All I knew is that the stock wheels that came with the Mission Heliums were super soft and super slow.

Today I bought new skates, 2013 Alkali RPD Teams. They came with the Labeda Millennium "X-Soft" wheels, based off my research I gathered they would be too soft, and they shop was very cool and swapped them out for some different wheels, they recommended 76a Millenniums, or a 76a Gripper. The associate advised the Millennium would offer an edge when it came to roll speed, so I went with those (but still am a little skeptical).

My question is, do you guys think I should have gone with a 78a instead? I mentioned that based on my research the 78a would better suit my weight, but he explained that the larger wheel would make up for the lost speed of a softer wheel. What way would you configure the wheels? I had planned on reusing the 80mm dual pour RR's that I had on my previous skates. I'm pretty much a roller noob for the most part so before I mount the new wheels I thought I'd ask for your guys help.

Should I do: (from rear of skate to the front)

76a/80a/80a/76a

or

80a/80a/76a/76a

Thanks.

Hey beedee,

I'm close to your weight, but take that with a grain of salt as every skater has their preference to wheels. I have skated Labeda wheels exclusively for the past 5 or so years and the Milleniums are my go to wheels. I am currently using the X-soft 74a Millenium wheels and am quite pleased with their grip, durability/longevity and speed. I say give 'em a go and see how they feel for a few games. If you feel they are too slow, then consider incorporating your existing Rink Rats. I will say the Milleniums feel slower than their Addictions, but that is by design. I personally choose consistent grip and durability over speed as I'm just a beer leaguer these days.

-Mike

P.S. Go Kings Go

im about 160-170lbs... using labeda grippers x soft in the front and back and softs in the middle.

not sure on what durometer you should use... but id defo use the harder wheels in the middle and softs on the outsides...

I've got an RBK Tri-Di chassis and it's a 72-76-76-80. It feels too high in the back any suggestions or just try to get used to this configuration. I only use them for skating on the street, I'm old school, my last chassis was flat and I just had larger wheels in the middle for rocker.

The wheels naturally wear faster in the front and back, so if you're skating on the street they'll wear into something more comfortable in time. I say just get used to it, especially since putting a 76mm wheel in back would be a drastic change.

The tri D chassis is a rockered chassis designed to pivot over the second wheel. You can put a 74mm wheel on the front for a flat base but you can't really change anything else. I tried a 76mm on the back once and found it didn't work very well, if I could have used a 78mm wheel then it might have been ok.

Thanks for all the input so far. I forgot to mention I play indoor on sport court.

Yesterday I installed my wheels, first game with the new skates will be tomorrow night.

I configured them like this:

From back to front, 80a-80a-76a-76a.

All wheels are 80mm.

Actually went with 76a on outsides and the 80a in the middle, felt good!

This is what I do as well. Revision steel (78a) in the middle 76a labedeas on the outside. I belive the idea is that the two front and back will compress more leaving more weight on the two middle wheels thus giving a shorter wheel base, maybe?

Also it should be known that along with weight, it depends on how smooth of a skater you are. When I first started along with being a bit heavier, I was new to skating and was not very smooth. Now I lost a bit but my skating has improved significantly and I have had the same wheels since last Christmas

I'm 185 and get frustrated with anything that isn't dual pour 84a, but I prefer outright speed to grip.

I've tried 78a & newer 82a but all feel like I'm bogging down at speed under my weight, I can't imagine what 200lbs would feel like.

I wouldn't mind trying the harder Addictions(Orange) I've read good things but because of the price to import I haven't taken the risk.

Beedee,

Just curious, which shop did you go to?

HockeyMonkey in Irvine, it is 5 minutes from my work.

Wicked,

I hear ya man, here is a picture of my set up, my inner wheels are actually a dual pour RinkRat "WorldCup" I believe, they are a couple years old. I bought those when I first started playing again, because like you said, I felt very bogged down with a straight up 76a or 78a setup. Infact, I might try to exchange my extra set of 76a Milleniums for some 78a Grippers.

20141112_083738_zpsisl6kmyn.jpg