Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iammerson

Helmet suggestion

Hey guys looking for some suggestions for a new helmet. I have a pretty good idea of what is out there but am looking for personal reviews . Not trying to spend 250 bucks but not looking for a beginner helmet. I do have a rather large head. My hats are typically 7 5/8 if that helps. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Depends on the shape of your head - I'd look for closeout sales on higher-end helmets that are a year or two old.

Durabilty really isn't a question that I have seen get asked about helmets. But imho if you are after a helmet that is going to be hassle free then get something with a VN liner. Whilst the pads and gels in a lot of todays current helmets make for a very comfortable and impressive fit, all models have various issues with these pads coming off or fraying or breaking over time eg E700, reakt, 20k to name a few. So saying I've had an E700 for 2 years+ and it is still going strong, a lot depends on how you look after it. Leave anything in a continuous damp state and eventually it will start to break down.

Im trying to find out more about durability to be honest.

Durability is sorta relative with helmets. Take one good impact, and the helmet is much less durable than if it experiences multiple small impacts. Also, as Vet88 said, if you let it stay damp, the quicker the foams will break down. With that said, if you're looking for good quality at a decent price point (and you're not taking 20mph+ impacts), anything with a good VN liner should do the trick. Maybe the CCM V08 or the lowest model CCM Resistance?

I have a wide head. Actually i have a round head and most helmets pinch my temples.

I use a warrior krown 360 on clearance and its been the best fitting helmet for me. Tried the reakt and the ims 11. They both pinched my temples. Havent tried the resistance yet.

Take a look at the warrior krown and see how that fits.

Maybe look at an 11k or 8k. I use 11k and like it, same hat size and decent width. That and the ims11 are only ones that seem to fit me well

whats the typical life span of a helmet?

Ive read "about" 6 years

I play non contact and don't ever remember my lid taking a significant impact, but it has seen some use over the past 4+ years

I have a Bauer 7500 something-er-ather.... manufacture date says 2010 inside

sorry to take this off topic, but I guess its relative if its time to get a new one ;)

I have the same size head. CCM V08 and Bauer 4500 size large have fit me the best. I feel like VN liner helmets give me the most snug/ comfortable fit. It's the shape of your head that counts so it's best to try them on or you might end up with a headache of a helmet.

First off thank you all so much for the feedback so far it has been awesome. I have tried a lot of helmets on and am leaning towards the reebok 8k, 7k or back to the 4500. Anyone have any input on any of those? Thank you all very much again.

Was going to buy a Krown because it was the only helmet I found comfortable, until the reakt came out and it was even better.

As for OP, the real answer is whatever fits you. That matters more than anything really.

enjoy the helmet! I figured Reebok would be a good fit for you considering you seem about in the same boat as me. I might even be picking up an 8k here shortly as well as a backup =)

I actually got 2 myself. I am such a strange player with gear I hate trying new things. Only reason i switched from a 4500 to an 8k was because i got an 8k for free when I played in college. After college and it was my money on the line and lack of good judgement I just went to save a couple bucks. Granted it did last me a long time and ws just a freak accident that ended its lifespan lol.