Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Blues Sign Brodeur

If he can find somewhere that wants to pay him to play, more power to him. If he sticks with the Blues, it's to get his name on another cup as an insurance policy. If he asks for his release, it's to try and sign somewhere else.

Jagr's comments about playing against him were insightful. Said people can complain about the trap, but Brodeur's puck-handling saved half the work. It was like having a third defensemen back there. Couldn't dump it in and forecheck, had to try to carry it over. Teams had to change their gameplan when playing the Devils because of him and the NHL created a rule based on him.

Lots of folks credit Turco for the trapezoid. He was much more of a roamer than Brodeur. Brodeur caught the pucks behind the net and played them. Many teams would use soft dumps to the corner to combat him.

Lots of folks credit Turco for the trapezoid. He was much more of a roamer than Brodeur. Brodeur caught the pucks behind the net and played them. Many teams would use soft dumps to the corner to combat him.,

Exactly, the problem started when Marty, Marty and others started wandering out to the corners to play those pucks out there.

I've always been of the opinion that if they have the skillset to let them use it. I hate the trapezoid.

The problem is that you had guys that thought the goalies should have been fair game for hits while they were out in the corner playing the puck. I think the trapezoid should be a little bigger but it's the best of all the bad options available so far.

The problem is that you had guys that thought the goalies should have been fair game for hits while they were out in the corner playing the puck. I think the trapezoid should be a little bigger but it's the best of all the bad options available so far.

Well, not saying I know the answer one way or the other, but shouldn't they be? For the couple goalies skilled enough at puck handling to go out to the corners to play it they have to just accept that they're in an area to potentially be hit (legally, obviously rules still apply for boarding/charging) and have to be prepared for that. If they don't accept that possibility then they'd better just stay in their net like they're pretty much required to do with the trapezoid.

Maybe leave the trapezoid and just make that a protected area for goalies, and the corners become fair game?

I don't have a solution, I'm just thinking out loud. I'd like to see them able to play the puck if they have the skills to do so but balancing that and safety is tough. Keep in mind this is coming from somebody who would like to see no-touch icing, so I'm definitely not ignoring safety considerations altogether either.

Hopefully that wasn't too rambly and actually made sense...

"Maybe leave the trapezoid and just make that a protected area for goalies, and the corners become fair game?"

I'd agree to this.

30 NHL GM's disagree with this idea.

My friends dad works for in the AHL and he has a bunch of connections and stuff. Well anyways he said the main reason Brodeur took the office job was because he was the 3rd goalie but he was excellent at talking to the guys that weren't playing (healthy scrathes and back up goalies and stuff) really tried to help develop them and stuff.

who knows though?