Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Souldriver

Skate pain, fitting, and possible New Skates help

I have drilled out a lot of Graf holders to help skaters with alignment issues. Both light and heavy skaters, none have ever come back to me with a slipping holder. If you are concerned about it slipping, pop the screw in then back fill the hole with some epoxy. Once it has set, file both sides flat then screw in. where possible, use a small stainless steel or brass washer to help with better holding power of the screw. If you end up filing back towards the frame of the holder, you need washers to lift the screw head above the base so it will still lock down without hitting the frame of the holder..

Quick question about the nexus skate shape and how they fit.

I know for their first year the nexus 1000 had a slight different fit than the nexus 800 and down. With the new 2014 lineup does the 8000 skate have a slightly different fit from the 7000 and below skates? In general how does the new 2014 lineup differ if at all, fit wise to the previous models?

Thanks, ive been trying on a mish mosh of old and new nexus skates and all different model levels, and im trying to put it all together.

This past week I went to about 6 or so stores and they all had different stock but nothing that was perfect, bc that would be too convenient of course.

Firat off tried to find some wider grafs and i couldnt find a real wide one like the 709 besides a size 7 and it was to short. The one they had in a 9, was not nearly wide enough as my pinky toe would not go into the toe box, as in my pinky toe hit the outside edge of the box and didnt go further.

Vapors 8.5 in EE, nope.

Supremes 8.5 in EE , ankle seems perfectly molded, a legit perfect fit. But the foot was all just too jankie for me. The shape was not matching my shape so probably not.

CCM rbz 8.5ee, this was real odd. The mid foot was nice and wide, but the toe and heel were not very wide at all. This makes sense as my old reebok skates were a wide fit but the toe box on those seemed to be from a regular width skate, to the point where the skate was protruding outside the box.it felt like it had an odd elliptical shape to it. Im alao very concerned about its durability so pass.

The bauer nexus line seems like it may be the key as long as i can figure out its fits. No where had a 8.5 ee either an 8ee, 8.5d, or 9d, and the store only had the tops skates. The 8ee seemed perfect and snug in width but not tight, but length wise, once i stood up my toes pushed into the front uncomfortably. The 8.5d was a good length but width lacked, not horrible but it wont work. These were both with the newest nexus line and the top skates.

The 9d was with a nexus 600 which is from the old line and seemed to fit a little different in general. Length was ok but could be shorter, width was ok and volume seemed fine. But the skate itself seemed very thin and maleable especially around the eyelets. It seemed like it was a leather boot which made it feel very soft, but standing with them laced up tight it doesnt seem it has enough support for me. Im also going to try these again bc it seemed like the right boot had a very high arch that was causing my foot to cramp when just sitting and i never had that before, so thats odd. Maybe putting my super feet in there will cure some of it but in tbe end it just seems like that one wont be for me.

It does seem the nexus line should have something for me but as posted above it seems the different models have different fits and im trying to figure out what those are. Holefully someone can break it down for me more.

FWIW, I also had the same issues with the 600 skate. I felt I had very little lateral support in the boot, and the weirdest feeling in the forefoot, where my heel was locked in but there seemed to be a steep drop-off at the arch and my foot was just floating there. I was also swimming up front generally, but the 600 was weird, it's not just an off pair of skates that you tried out.

Store took about 2 weeks but finally got a 8.5 EE in the nexus 5000. Felt as good as ive had so far, very comfortable wide enough but didnt seem too wide anywhere. 360 degree snugness so it looks like i have a skate to try out. I told the guy that i was in a rush to work and i was busy so i would need to come back and put them on for about 10-20 minutes to make sure they still dont hurt and he agreed.

Got in a pair of nexus 800 skates in 8.5 EE and even though it doesnt have the big speed bump arch it is larger than normal and shaped better.

I put them in and sat and stood for about 45 minutes left skate was ok, maybe a little pressure but it was good. My right foot is bigger, and it felt more cramped. But i had that skate on for less time and it had more pain on that outside part. When i took it off i felt a slight pins and needles. I feel that this would not widen with a bake and would easily hurt just as much while playing. Was really hoping they would be perfect bc i got a good price on it and buying new the nexus 7000 is the equivalent and is much mkre expensive. Very odd there is no skate between the $299 nexus 6000 and the much more expensive nexus 7000.

After this i dont know where to go bc customs are out of the budget and off the shelf doesnt work. Im going to go back and retry the new nexus line again to see if there is any difference or if its good enough.

Try to hunt down a clearance pair of original Easton Mako's in 8.5EE (lengthwise they seem to fit similar to high end Bauers) to try on. They can be had for between $300 and $400 at various places. I have a wide foot and when I tried Mako EEs on they seemed to have enough room - that was without baking. Those are extremely responsive to heat.

May not be an option but you could always convert your inlines since they are the best fitting or buy another pair of missions and convert those. It might run you a little more in the long run then you would like, but its an idea. Either way you have to buy new skates.

The conversion isnt really an option. I still use my inlines, and when i asked around about it no one recommended it bc things dont line up right enough.

I went back into the shop and tried a supreme in ee again. It was ok in the forefoot but around the arch it was so sculpted it rubbed me in the wrong way and caused cramping.

I tried the 5000 on again and it just felt right. The arches werent weird, or oddly high, and there wasnt pressure anywhere. In my honest opinion i think the new nexus line is wider throughout and is shaped different than the old nexus line. Comparing the insoles and how thwy feel on my foot the new line has a straighter rectangle fit with a lower arch. The old line definetly had an "8" shape to it where it came in in the mid foot. It was thinner mid foot than the supreme ee mid foot. This stinks bc i was hoping the Nexus 800 was my skate bc it is high end and i got it at a great price.

Unfortunatley the 5000 at the shop isnt stiff enough for me so im ordering a 6000 through them and praying it fits the same when it comes in. Im a little disspointed bc at the same price the 6000 doesnt have as much high end features as the 800 and its nkt as stiff, and im used to a stiff skate. Too bad at this time i cannot justify the price of the 7000, it would be near perfect for me but it is so much more than the 6000 and i cant swing it.

I think the 6000 is going to work out well for you. It's a pretty stiff skate at the right price point. I really like the past two generations of skates that bauer has put out at the just above middle of the line area as they don't scrimp on stiffness and durability but just have a little added weight which isn't a huge deal for the average beer leaguer.

Good luck!

IMHO the weight isnt bad, i would of liked a carbon outsole though over a "plastic" one.

Yeah I'm not happy with that either, but Bauer seems to be going in that direction across all their lines. I guess to their credit they're lowering the prices too. The One.7-170 had a switch from Fiber Composite to TPR and they dropped the price from 370 to 300. Same deal with the Nexus 600-6000. I haven't done extensive studies or anything on outsole effect on performance, but it seems to me that Bauer made the move a) to save cost and b) because intermediate level beer league guys are mostly buying these kinds of skates and they'd benefit more from stiffer quarters and a lower purchase price than the marginal energy transfer improvement you get from a composite outsole. Heck, even the 180, which has a composite boot, now has a TPU outsole. c) Cynically, I think they might have done it because players are used to having a composite outsole on mid-high end skates and taking it away will push people into higher end models like the 7000, 190, and x90.

The TPR they're using also seems pretty stiff compared to the plastic outsoles on lower end skates. I don't think you're going to feel much of a difference. That said, I'm with you and would pay the extra 50-100 at this price point to get a better outsole.

The TPR they're using also seems pretty stiff compared to the plastic outsoles on lower end skates. I don't think you're going to feel much of a difference. That said, I'm with you and would pay the extra 50-100 at this price point to get a better outsole.

Still waiting for my skates to come in but i hope this is the case. Though my 250lbs frame likes to torture outsoles of all types.