Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trinituner

Graf skate sizing last 10 years, Canadien V Swiss difference?

Easy,

After skating Nike V12's for the last few years, (I bought 3 pairs in Close out mid 2000's) I have decided to go back to Graf skates that I used for many years previous. Since living in London UK there really isnt that many shops that I can go to check skates out so when I saw hockey monkey where selling 705's for $229.99, (now) back up to $339.99 I jumped at them. Now I have always been a size 8EE in Grafs and I have had a pair of 705's in the past along with a pair of 707 but these currents skates feel way more narrow. Have Graf changed their skate sizing in the years previous?.

Also I was informed today that the Canadien made Grafs are of a lower quality than the swiss made ones? is there any truth in this. My previous pairs where swiss made as I got them from the European distributor and they did feel different to these newer 705's.

In put welcomed

TBH the swiss Grafs are far easier to get here in the UK than the Canadien ones, only thing was I got the Canadien ones for £147.00 and the Swiss ones here in the UK would set me back £375.00. However wearing these skates in the house I am starting to think I have made a mistake? I am noticing a few hot spots just behind the toe box. My old grafs where like slippers out the box and I would often do 5 hour coaching sessions in them twice a week, I never really had to break in my old pairs.

Another downside I have just come across is when you take the Cobra holder off I now see that the bottom of the boot doesnt have a a full one piece soul. The middle area of the soul has a massive section cut out down the middle, I am thinking this "could" make mounting a new runner a issue??.

I am now thinking to cut my loses with these and just get a pair of Bauer Nexus as these seem to be the nearest replacement for the older Nike V12.

I am working currently with anonymous former finnish pro-hockeyplayer who played his entire career with Graf skates.

He said that team tried give him canadian made Graf and he did not get them to fit his foot like Swissmade.

He was certain that there is major difference between the two.

I will concur they do seem miles away from the euro boots, I will get to the rink later today and give these a skate this will however be with the cobra holder rather than a pair of Tuuks I normally use

I thought I would do a update for anyone that searches a similar question in the future..

I now have about 5 hours logged on these and can say they are breaking in ok but they are not in the same league as the Swiss boots. The fit is more narrow and just the overall quality is not the same as what I was expecting. The Cobra holder actually was not that bad but I would hate to play D in them as they are a forward pitch forsure. My plan for these skates now is to take them out to the Philippines where I will be spending about 5 months each year and as this will happen I have mounted a pair of "cough" Tblades. The reason for this was I have no idea what type of grind I will get out there and also the Local rink here in London UK is now charging 9 F@"king quid a sharpen ($14.00)!!!!! and I worked it out if I start playing and coaching as much as I have in the past I will get a bill of over 40 pounds a month and that aint happening. Esp as the standard on offer is very mediocre now. I will skate these here untill the middle of next year and will take them abroad. I will most likely get what looks to be closest match to my old V12's which is the Nexus range on my return.

On a side note, just a shame T blades died a bit of a death here as having to order runners direct from Germany is a bit of a ball ache but thus far I am quite impressed with the T blade's even if they do make my ears bleed and that is quite a bold statement as I have been known to say I would never skate anything other than Tuuk. I love having the option of being able to swap out and change profiles and grind depths within about 4 minutes and also will be hoping all the hype of how long they last is true as it will be quite cost effective way of running these skates. How they would take a puck is another matter that I am shore I will find out soon..