Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

huntajav

Help Replacing CCM Super Tacks 992 Skates

Hey Guys,

So I am a college student in Minnesota and I play on the club team. I have been using the CCM Super Tacks 992 Size 7D skates for about a few months now and so far its been okay.

This winter break I played pond hockey with friends for about 5 hours a day and after yesterdays skate the bony bump (lateral malleolus) on the lateral side of my ankle is in pain. The pain comes from pressure for sure.

Now I realize that my skates are pretty old but I bough them new from Play it again sports. Do you guys think that I should invest to buy a new pair of skates in the level I am playing at? I skate probably everyday and would be appreciative of any advice. Also I think the guy from PIAS sized me wrong since I know that I have really wide feet and he gave me the 7D which is narrow.

-Hunter

You are playing 5 hrs a day, that i think is the issue. Did you have any problems before? That much skating in one day is to much, I don't think it's the skate. For the last 6 yrs I skate in a 24hr charity event. After a few hours most of the guys start getting blisters and pain, regardless of brand skate. True you skate may be too narrow, that's a different issue. Oh, BTW, you lucky bastard to be playing 5 hrs a day!

Several things you can do, starting from least expensive to most expensive (as noted above, 5 hours is excessive, so you're going to feel pain either way-- hell even in my custom VH skates, I can barely last 3-4 hours):

1. Don't tie the top two eyelets as tight
  2. Skip the top eyelet
  3. Punch out the ankle area
  4. If the tongue creates some volume issues around the ankle (instead of cushioning the ankle, it creates a clamp due to low volume), shave/trim down the tongue
  5. Use a bunga pad around your ankle
  6. In combination with 1 or 2, use stable 26 socks
  7. Get the boot stretched
  8. Go to a real hockey shop, get properly sized and try EVERYTHING you can get your hands on (or within a budget). Find which one fits best out of the box, then get it baked to your foot.

If 1-7 don't work, then I'd highly recommend going with a higher-end skate since you're playing everyday. Else, you may find your skates prematurely break down do to usage. Since fit is personal preference, try on anything and everything.

5 hours a day is not too much. Many mn kids and old folks spend the weekend at the park skating 5plus hours on a regular basis. I skate 5 plus hours as a grandpa. If the skates are fit right the 5 hours is no issue.

I agree with going to a real hockey shop for a fitting.

Off to breakfast then to Groveland rink in St. Paul mn. I will be in my skates 11am to around 5pm.

many places in MN metro and Twin ports can and will do great skate fitting. We have a large amount of folks with the right skill set to fit you. Not sure if allowed to call out specific stores.

Anyone want a great game today head to groveland rink at st Clair and Kenneth.

Jimmy, I've never had this pain until I skated 2 days ago. it kinda sucks because this annoying pain puts a damper on how long I can stay out now. I should probably rest it but I just can't do it. But since my skates are the 2006 models maybe its time for a new pair.

mc88, thanks for the tips I will check out higher end skates and see what my budget can spare.

MN old and slow, haha I was by Groveland rink a couple of days ago, but the real magic happens at Lake of the Isles. Pickup games happen throughout the day which is why I play for 5 or more hours per day with friends and randoms.

Thanks for all the replies. I will be going to my LHS and get fitted for new skates. I will post an update after I get some new skates.

Also, invest in a boot dryer if you are playing that much. Drying them between skates is critical. I recommend the Dryguy.

Boot dryer is great. Too old to keep up at lake of the isles. Played 2 hours at groveland and then 3 over at quarry in eagan. Feet feel great legs a bit tired. Solid pick up most of the day.

What helps on a long day of pick up is changing to fresh socks every couple of hours. Also helps to have plenty of water.

Thanks guys. I just got back from my LHS and got the Reebok Ribcore 30K Skates. I ended up getting Size 7D again but man these boots are a fit right out of the box. I got them baked and contoured but just putting them on the first time it felt so good. Boy, these skates are tempting me to go out in our backyard pond. But I think I need to just rest my ankle and I should be able to get back to skating a lot tomorrow.

Jimmy, funny thing: I've had the Dryguy widebody dryer and it works great. My gloves and boots gets gross after every skate so these babies have been god to my gear.

Will post about if the boot still bothers my ankle in a few days.