Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Maple Leafs 2014-15

keep in mind, Leaf fans, the last time the team lost 10 in a row was 1967. We all know how that season ended… #doitagain #hahayeahright

I wonder how Leafs fans feel about JVR. I, for one, was not a big fan of him here in Philadelphia. I know people here were up in arms over the JVR-L. Schenn trade. I don't think the Flyers miss him but I know I'm in the minority when it comes this POV.

I wonder how Leafs fans feel about JVR. I, for one, was not a big fan of him here in Philadelphia. I know people here were up in arms over the JVR-L. Schenn trade. I don't think the Flyers miss him but I know I'm in the minority when it comes this POV.

He's one of the few I wouldn't want to get rid of.

I personally think JVR is okay. He has some valuable tools (size, hands, scoring), but I don't see much emotion, leadership or physical play. During the firing of the coach and team poor play, one Toronto sports writer made comment about the top line of Kessel, Bozak and JVR that worries me "Kessel is among the NHL’s elite scorers. But he and his linemates, chiefly centreman Tyler Bozak and James van Riemsdyk, form one of the league’s most egregiously haphazard defensive units. What’s worse: They’ve shown nothing to suggest this bothers them".

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2015/01/06/no_defence_for_maple_leafs_letdown_leading_to_randy_carlyle_firing_feschuk.html

I don't personally know any of the players and what's going on in their heads, but when you watch the locker room interviews with Cody Franson you can see how bothered he is losing games.

For you Flyer's fans I am going to take a guess you already saw this and it was a reason to trade JVR ? I haven't watched much footage of Luke Schenn as a Flyer but he looked okay. Schenn is a great team player and physical d-man but was a bit slow and didn't have much offensive upside. I believe the sports reporters indicated Schenn didn't have a high hockey IQ.

I am not going to start a Kessel and Phaneuf bashing thread, but in my opinion its just better for both parties to part ways. Kessel and Phaneuf have been with Leafs for 5 years and I don' think its a good fit for all parties.

They are near/at the peak of his career, I would like to move them sooner than later and start a new chapter.

After reading this article about Phil Kessel, I have to admit he probably never change and probably fizz out. I don't really fault him though, if you don't have the heart to practice/compete there is not much anyone can really do and make you change.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2015/01/22/maple-leafs-bank-on-kessel-breakthrough-feschuk.html#

bwaaaaahahahahaha good god.

Though TBH at this point the worse they play the better so nobody gets any crazy idea that this team is anything but garbage.

One thing I will say that I would have NOT said even a few months ago... I'd like to see them dump Kessel. Not because of the whole one-way one-trick pony player thing (that part doesn't actually bother me that much), but because with the hopefully scorched earth approach Shanny is going to take it will be AT LEAST 3-4 years before this team isn't crap and by that point he'll be well past his prime. Might as well get a draft pick or prospect or something for him now.

The only untouchable IMO is Reilly. I'd like to see JVR stay but I'm open to him being dealt.

Apparently Shanahan has been authorized by MLSE for a full rebuild: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/kelly-shanahans-scorched-earth-leafs-plan-wins-mlse-support/article22938348/

Also apparently Kessel and Phaneuf are not in the team's plans going forward: http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/699706

Kessel is an interesting case, as he can contribute on a good team. If the Leafs are willing to eat some of the cap hit, they could get a good return for him.

I am not going to start a Kessel and Phaneuf bashing thread, but in my opinion its just better for both parties to part ways. Kessel and Phaneuf have been with Leafs for 5 years and I don' think its a good fit for all parties.

They are near/at the peak of his career, I would like to move them sooner than later and start a new chapter.

After reading this article about Phil Kessel, I have to admit he probably never change and probably fizz out. I don't really fault him though, if you don't have the heart to practice/compete there is not much anyone can really do and make you change.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2015/01/22/maple-leafs-bank-on-kessel-breakthrough-feschuk.html#

Dave Feschuck is the guy who Kessel called an idiot. His opinion of Kessel isn't one to really trust. He just tries to get a quote and most of the players evidently hate him.

Dave Feschuck is the guy who Kessel called an idiot. His opinion of Kessel isn't one to really trust. He just tries to get a quote and most of the players evidently hate him.

Yep, Feschuck likely deserved what he got if his history is any indication.

Kessel is an interesting case, as he can contribute on a good team. If the Leafs are willing to eat some of the cap hit, they could get a good return for him.

I agree. Though the only rumor I've heard regarding Kessel is that Nashville was interested. He'd be a good fit there, I think. But like you said, there would have to be some details worked out.

Is there a coach out there who can keep Kessel interested for the rest of his deal? This will be the second franchise that has tired of his lazy ways when it comes to preparation.

Is there a coach out there who can keep Kessel interested for the rest of his deal? This will be the second franchise that has tired of his lazy ways when it comes to preparation.

That's not why they are trading him.

His streakiness and lack of anything near consistent effort contributes greatly to the team's overall poor performance. Couple that with a big contract that you don't want to have when you decide to blow it up and he is on his way out the door. I can almost guarantee that Kessel will not be with whomever picks up this deal when he signs his next deal.

Brighter days ahead.

1Kq09I.jpg

I'm not even convinced with him either. Though somebody like margaery tyrell hanging around would at least make morale go up.

I don't know. In essence it's late 1st, a former 3rd rounder, and a aging UFA at end of his career. Seems a bit low even for rentals.