Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RoenickFan

Mako 2 vs Bauer MX3 Opinions....

Hi everyone,

I posted this in Mako thread but not sure many people view that old thread very often. I'm hoping that someone can provide me with some insight as to what direction I should go? Pretty much just resigned to men's league for the rests of my days skating twice a week if I'm lucky. I'm ready to buy what I'm thinking will be the last skates I ever buy, especially at current price points. As of this point in time, I'm between buying the Mako 2 or Bauer MX3's. Here's my dilemma, my favorite skates of all time are the Micron 10-90 Megas. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems these skates almost forced you to skate properly. I feel that simple in terms of skating that I played my best hockey wearing that boot. Since the demise of Micron I've pretty much been in Bauer Supremes. They have always fit well, but I've always felt that my skating has been slightly off. I switched to Graf G35s about 4 years ago and I love the pitch, how the boot is designed, etc, but they do not fit me properly. The front part of my foot is squeezed, and the large ball towards the back of my big toe on the side just gets rubbed raw. Developed a big corn on both feet. Can't wear the skates without a corn cushion period. I've never loved a skate so much that fit so terribly. The kid who sold them to me swore that it was a 3d moldable boot, it's not.

Anyway, do I go for tried and true fit in Bauers, but what I consider to be just slightly off balance (for me) & performance in skating? Or do I give the Mako 2 a shot in what I hope is an innovative skate, hopefully comparable to Micron Megas or Daoust?

The main hangup I have is everything I've ever owned by Easton usually breaks down way too fast. I'd hate to spend roughly $800 and then regret it 6 - 12 months later! Just looking for opinions, especially if you're familiar with the Makos.

I am currently in Mako and Easton is sending me Mako 2 as a warranty replacement. The glitches the Mako had should be fixed in Mako 2. I would say if Mako fits you well go with Mako. Don't get discouraged if you have problems to put them on, they are really tight fit and should be heat molded. There is no other skate that will wrap your foot like the Mako unless you go custom like VH footwear. I had Reebok Ribcor and I tried Bauer Vapor x100 and those skates are too stiff for me and were restricting natural ankle movement.

Not even a choice. I've never worn Mako's but i've heard they are great on initial fit but have issues down the road. I went from RBZs to MX3s about 6 months ago and never looked back. So comfortable, great performance.

Impossible to know what durability on Mako 2 is, until they have been a year or two into their cycle. I have Mako 2s, love them, but am aware they may fall apart on me. MX3 did feel surprisingly comfortable; but I did not try these on until after I was already into Mako 2. If I skated in them though, would I feel off balance? (Don't know)

At the end of the day, it's which boot fits you the best. If you have corn problems with the Grafs I'm not sure it will go away with a shift to MX3's / Makos etc.

If you want to stay in Grafs why not consider getting the G3 punched. Either a decent LHS can do it or you can do it yourself and then consider getting your corns removed.

Even if you do go to a new boot, look closely at the width, here is a thread that covers this and contains a link to how I stretch my own boots

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/67463-foot-pain-what-is-causing-it/

For what it's worth, I've been in all 3 boots you mention but due to a slight pronation I need to move the holder to get correct foot alignment hence I stay with Graf. The MX3's are well built, my son has them now and 8 months later after extensive use they are still in excellent condition but I had to do a lot work on the forefoot area to get the width right. I still occasionally skate in them but I now find them too stiff for long term comfort and extensive use. Stiffness and comfort is something you need to consider if switching to a skate like the MX3. Eastons give the best heel lock for me and if I could move the holder easily I'd be in these but the durability of Easton boots always concerns me (the SE16, RS, Mako I have been in all had issues).

Thanks all for the input. I've been leaning towards giving the Makos a shot and really my only major concern is durability. I considered trying another Graf boot too. The ones I'm in are 1/2 size too small. I wear a size 10 shoe, should be size 8 skate, and my Grafs are 7 1/2. The kid that sized me swore up and down that I should go for the smallest boot possible. I think if I had stuck with the size 8 that I would have been ok. It seems to rub on my foot right where the toe cap and boot come together. I like the skates and am willing to try them on again, but if the forefoot feels even remotely tight, then forget it.

I'm well aware that any of these boots I pick are high end skates and really can't lose, so I guess I'll go try them on this week and just go with what feels the best. At this point in my life comfort should override just about anything.

The kid that sized me swore up and down that I should go for the smallest boot possible.

He is right, especially with Mako. It opens way up, once you bake it.

Unbaked, I am a size 10.5 EE in Mako/2. Baked, I am not in 10.0 EE, and I am thinking I may actually be a 9.5 EE. So, from Dec 2013-Dec 2014, I was in 10.5 EE (since it fit perfectly in store, unbaked), but then once baked I had like an inch at the end of the boot. I am now in 10.0 EE and I think I may still have a 1/5 inch in the toe box to sprare. So, may try a baked 9.5 if I can find one to get an idea.

Why not just have the steel on the MX3's profiled to the pitch and radius you want? Bauers (and I found the MX3's in particular) tend to pitch you backwards a little, or are neutral at best. Graf has a forward pitch to it. It should be easier to correct pitch problems than fit or durability issues.

MAKO really open up after baking, I'm normally a EE, but had no issue with D width after baking, but the length was still too short on my right foot... I don't think I would of liked them much even if the fit was right.

I tried MX3, but couldn't get a proper fit out of them either..... in the end I got a pair of CCM RBZ in 8 E (not retail) and I usually wear 8.5 EE, but being a deeper/wider skate I could go down half a size. I think in retail RBZ I could possibly fit 7.5 EE. I wanted to try at HM, but they didn't have any in that size.

I also have NEXUS 8000 in 8.5 EE and the toe box is roomy, but still over all the skate fits my odd feet well. I have a high instep, high arches, and a right foot with a collapsed arch (partly due to crap right hip) so I have to use insoles with a strong high arch support, but in the end I lose a bit of that needed volume, more so in my right foot.... which really bulges out in my instep....

No matter which skate I wear, my right foot always cramps a bit once I take my skate off

"Why not just have the steel on the MX3's profiled to the pitch and radius you want?"

That sounds like a great idea. Do regular hockey retailers typically have the skill set to do this or do you have to go somewhere that builds custom skates for pros? That's really been my only complaint with Bauers over the years is they seem to be neutral in pitch.

I'm going this week to try on skates and hopefully make a decision. As of now I'm still considering Makos to be the front runner.