Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Campoli

Matching Gear - Colours/Colors and Brands

Hey guys, I am just getting into the game and in the process of picking up pieces of gear as I come across good deals. I found a sweet deal on some Easton Stealth 75s ii gloves in Navy. Does this at all mean I should be purchasing a Navy helmet or will I look like a noob (which I am) grabbing a black helmet? Black Eastons were available but not the right size.

Also, when it comes to gear, does one normally grab just what is comfortable, regardless of the colour as most of it will be hidden anyway?

Just curious what the consensus recreational / adult league player does.

Thanks all.

I used to go out of my way to match gear to team colors. It got expensive. Now I just buy black everything because that seems to be what everyone else does for the most part anyway.

For example, last year I played on a team that wore the old powder blue Penguins 3rd uniforms. I had blue pants, gloves and helmet (which is the correct color for those uniforms) but ended up wearing all black with them anyway because that's what most of the rest of the team had. I figure its better to match the team than be "correct".

But in reality for a beer league its really whatever you've got. I see guys out there with black pants, white helmet, and red mitts wearing orange socks. It really doesn't matter.

EDIT: As far as your pads go, whatever is comfortable and as protective as you want/need. Color is irrelevant.

TL;DR just get everything in black, it's the easiest way to go

Most buy black since everything goes with that color. In reality, navy is so dark that it really doesn't matter all that much. Get what you like and don't worry about making a fashion statement on the ice. I see some guys out there with different color pants, gloves, and helmet and no one thinks twice about it.

Wear what ever you want. Don't buy a really good priced and protective set of equipment because it didn't match.

Unless you want to I guess. If you want something get it?

the only way I would buy "matchy" stuff is if I knew I would be on a team for a long time. That said, being on MSH and going to a lot of the events, I have quite a few pairs of black, yellow, and blue shades of socks, so I decided to make my drop in stuff black/yellow themed. I already had black pants, and black helmet so it was pretty easy. I was just using black/white gloves, but forgot my gloves entirely recently and purchased a pair of closeout gloves at a great price in the black/yellow colorway. Certain people on this board will be amused that I have "Bruins" colors but I like to think of them as MSH colors :wink:

Certain people on this board will be amused that I have "Bruins" colors but I like to think of them as MSH colors :wink:

That's the only way I didn't feel sick to my stomach at Winterfest this year, had to keep reminding myself they are MSH colors not Bruins colors ;)

There are people that will be critical, no matter what color you get. Those people are douchebags. Get stuff that feels or works for you and to hell with what anyone else thinks.

I'll say, get whatever you want. If you want to go nuts matching everything, right on man. It's your money, spend as you see fit. Just don't be a hoser and wear two different colored socks, their sold in pairs for a reason.

Guess that's one of my pet peeves, that an using duct tape on your shins... :facepalm:

Just don't be a hoser and wear two different colored socks, their sold in pairs for a reason.

I think that's worse than white skates and gloves... heh.

My dress game went down hill when I got my Makos. My main team's unis are purple on yellow ha.

Our team wears god-awful orange now so I guess my Makos actually match... heh.

I think that's worse than white skates and gloves... heh.

The kids I coached used to do this all the time and I know perfectly well they had actual pairs of socks (because I gave them their socks). Never could get a straight answer on why. Don't do anything that a 10 year old thinks is cool.

If it fits, and it protects what it needs to protect, just buy it and wear it. I never notice people's gear unless it's really unusual, like a jersey with an interesting logo, or a glaring color combo (like light blue/brown, which Tufts U. wears/wore), or socks with stirrups or something.