Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Campoli

Butterflies

So I'm in my mid 30's and slowly picking up equipment to get into the game. I have always loved hockey but did not play as a child other that street. Fast forward, with a wife and 2 kids, needless to say it's difficult to find time to do anything extracurricular. The only times I am able to hit the ice are on my lunch hour (free shinny) and afternoon stick and puck but having to leave a few hours early from work in order to do so (obviously not always easy).

I would like to eventually join a lesson or learn to play program (if i can find the time!) but even just hitting these lunch time sessions I feel pretty self conscious/intimidated as there are always pretty skilled looking players on the ice, kids flying around hammering clappers, etc. I would look like a total mess in comparison and easily stand out as the noob. I am a pure beginner skater and can stick handle a bit dirty off ice but never put the 2 together. I did a few times at the local outdoor but it was a sad sight lol. I guess part of the problem also is that I would be going on my own and not with someone to pass with, etc.

Any advice to help get over this ridiculous frame of mind and lose the butterflies? It's the only thing really holding me back at the moment. Anyone else go through this?

Thanks

Everyone starts somewhere. Lots of beginner leagues and pickup sessions out there.

My suggestion is to always give 100% effort. Nobody is ever going to say anything about your skill level if you're putting in an effort.

you should read the pickup hockey pet peeves thread, you will see a lot of negative about the hot dog players, and not too much at all about the new guys trying to learn and get better! That is what sticks and pucks is for!

Thanks for the replies. I'd love to join a learn to play program but it always seems that the times are during work hours or "conveniently" located across the city lol.

Also, I realize this is probably the worst thread title ever haha.

you should read the pickup hockey pet peeves thread, you will see a lot of negative about the hot dog players, and not too much at all about the new guys trying to learn and get better! That is what sticks and pucks is for!

Also a good place to see what DOES piss people off so you know not to do them. Mostly common sense, but enough complaints make you wonder how "common" it really is...

Everyone starts somewhere. Lots of beginner leagues and pickup sessions out there.

My suggestion is to always give 100% effort. Nobody is ever going to say anything about your skill level if you're putting in an effort.

Explained perfectly. Put in effort and people will tell that your trying, and I always find when the guys know your a new player they give you compliments and advice

You might try going to a couple of public skates - take the kids, even - and see if getting a better handle on the skating makes you feel more confident.

I get nervous before games all the time, especially if it's a new rink, but I've found having a routine of some kind just helps me calm down in general, even if it's nerves about not being quite good enough to hang with the group. I've tried to show up a bit early, take my time getting dressed, hope my skates warm up. Of course if you're busy you might not have time for even 10 or 15 extra minutes. I also found in pickup and games it helped if there was another player I could talk to on the bench, if they seemed friendly. Ask about the game. Say you're new and ask for advice. Ask your teammate where they found that old-school Robo-Penguin jersey. Like Optimus and Steezy said, give your all and don't be afraid to ask for help or advice. Most players are happy to help a new guy.

I go on my own sometimes, if you go to the same skate each week, you will probably see a lot of the same guys there each session so once you show up a few times, it will be like you are no longer going on your own.

Yup, exactly like HDHockey says. Go a couple times on your own and eventually you get to know the other regulars and you'll have somebody to practice with.

So I'm off to my first stick & puck today! Since this is solely a skills session they just mandate helmets and gloves. What do you guys normally wear to stick & puck?

I plan on wearing my jock, hockey gloves and helmet (still need a cage ugh) and then sweat pants and hoodie. Is this acceptable stick & puck wear? (until I have all protective).

So I'm off to my first stick & puck today! Since this is solely a skills session they just mandate helmets and gloves. What do you guys normally wear to stick & puck?

I plan on wearing my jock, hockey gloves and helmet (still need a cage ugh) and then sweat pants and hoodie. Is this acceptable stick & puck wear? (until I have all protective).

Yeah, as long as your comfortable you should be fine. Before some pickup/shinny games I even see guys out there with Jeans and a T shirt. Unless the arena has a dress code but i doubt it.

I was in the same boat as you. I found a D league and joined. One thing I did every chance I got was to go skating. I would watch drills on You Tube and then go practice them at the rink. Might sound silly but I'm a visual learner so I just need someone to show me how to do something and I can pick it up pretty quick. I was worried about falling and people that could skate better then me but after a few trips to the rink I just started doing my own thing. I would work on the drills at my own pace and next thing I knew I was doing cross overs going backwards. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention certain websites but I found the guys at howtohockey.com very helpful. They have their own You Tube channel just search for them. Good luck!

I like to practice in full gear to simulate game conditions. But I recommend wearing at least elbow pads because you can easily ruin your elbows falling on them. At least something like rollerblade elbows under your hoodie. To learn properly, you have to learn your edges and test the limits which means that you will fall sometimes. Shin pads or at least rollerblade kneepads are also a good idea too for falling on, but the elbow pads are a must.

Alright, so I have under my belt my fist stick & puck session! I had a great time and it was my first time indoors really messing around with the puck (all other times have been outdoor). It was just myself on one end and a few guys on the other side.

It was awesome to work on some drills and take shots on net uninterrupted but on the flipside it would have been nice to have someone to pass with. I am going to keep at it but it was definitely a great experience, even though I have a ton to work on lol.

Glad you had a good first experience. The best thing to do is get out there as often as you can to keep it up. The longer you wait in between sessions the more likely you will have to teach yourself the same things over and over and over and... you get the idea. I understand you have priorities (family, kids, work, etc)... so get out when you can... but if you love it, keep up with it.

One thing I'd recommend as well is to make skating your first priority. Like others have said, wear full gear, and really try to test your limits of your skating ability. Once you start getting comfortable on your skates, then you can start focusing on your puck handling/shooting.