Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Campoli

Cage Colour Recommendations

I would say the Narrow bars like on the Re-Akt etc. are best. I think white is only available on the traditional round bars. Can't beat the weight of the Re-Akt.

I played my first season since my 25-year layoff this past winter and almost everybody else in my 50+ league wore a full cage or shield and most of them seem to have made the decision only after bad facial injuries. I went with a half-shield all season but recently got the new A-Vision Ahead full shield (they come in colors but I went with the clear for maximum visibility) because I figure it's only a matter of time before my luck finally runs out. Haven't tried it yet but it's supposedly designed not to scratch or fog as much as other full shields.

Tried out the A-Vision Ahead Elite model at a 2.5-hour stick & puck session this morning. The vision was really fantastic...absolutely no optical distortion whatsoever and the visor part is tall enough that you're never looking through the lower section. Ventilation was great and zero fogging, but I'm not crazy about having to remove my helmet just to wipe the sweat off my face or blow my nose. (It doesn't tilt up very much, so I leave it snapped onto the helmet and just squeeze my head in and out without unsnapping anything but the chin strap...not sure that will work with other helmets and craniums but it works for me with my 90s-era CCM.) The only downside is the added weight compared to a half-visor, but that's probably a lot less noticeable to you if you're already used to wearing another type of full-face protection. It looks a little goofy IMO, but I'll probably be wearing it for games this season. Based on some of the other reviews, I don't plan on cleaning it with anything other than a damp cloth for now.

I'd be interested to do a survey to see if theres any link between Pupillary Distance and which cage they prefer.

Makes sense in regard to the spacing of the vertical bars.

Face size/height and eye location would be important in regard to the spacing of the horizontal bars.

I went from a Bauer 4000 cage (older, round wires) that was OK to a 7500 helmet with a TruVision cage with flat wires. I REALLY like the flat wires.

I like the ventilation and the vision hasn't bothered me enough to want a shield.

After spending almost $5,000 replacing a lost tooth from an inline skating incident last summer, I don't want to go half shield at any time. One tooth replacement is plenty!!!

Tried out the A-Vision Ahead Elite model at a 2.5-hour stick & puck session this morning. The vision was really fantastic...absolutely no optical distortion whatsoever and the visor part is tall enough that you're never looking through the lower section. Ventilation was great and zero fogging, but I'm not crazy about having to remove my helmet just to wipe the sweat off my face or blow my nose. (It doesn't tilt up very much, so I leave it snapped onto the helmet and just squeeze my head in and out without unsnapping anything but the chin strap...not sure that will work with other helmets and craniums but it works for me with my 90s-era CCM.) The only downside is the added weight compared to a half-visor, but that's probably a lot less noticeable to you if you're already used to wearing another type of full-face protection. It looks a little goofy IMO, but I'll probably be wearing it for games this season. Based on some of the other reviews, I don't plan on cleaning it with anything other than a damp cloth for now.

It tilts all the way up. You'll get resistance but it's meant to be that way. Just keep pushing until it pops up into place.

I won't be wearing mine again though. Too much condensation on the inside, couldn't see a bloody thing. Going back to the original avision ahead mask.

I tried just a cloth with no luck. Tried some hand soap also with no luck. Probably because the problem isn't so much fogging as just getting a ton of condensation. It's also noticeably warmer than the old model.

You're right...thanks OR. I'm very surprised by the fogging responses because I've worn it a few times for 2+ hours without the slightest fogging. It must be dependent on the rink conditions. Haven't broken it out in a game yet because I'm not used to the extra weight and feel like it affects my center of gravity, but no vision issues whatsoever during sticks & pucks.

You're right...thanks OR. I'm very surprised by the fogging responses because I've worn it a few times for 2+ hours without the slightest fogging. It must be dependent on the rink conditions. Haven't broken it out in a game yet because I'm not used to the extra weight and feel like it affects my center of gravity, but no vision issues whatsoever during sticks & pucks.

I was okay while actually on the ice once it cleared up, but as soon as I'd get to the bench it'd fog right up and unless I wiped it off it would have condensation when I got on the ice again for the first 10 seconds or so. The old one I had zero issues with.

I switched to a visor though. I'll be back in my original Avision the first time I get a stick or puck in the face though... heh.