Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JimmyTheDriver

Waxed laces causing foot pain?

Let me start by saying - I don't know what is causing my feet to hurt. I am just feeling the water here.

I have been on Bauer Vapor X7.0 skates for almost 2 years now. They have always been great skates performance wise. Probably not the best fit for my foot, but I make due. One thing about these, and my old roller X60s, I was never able to really crank them down across the arch or it hurt so I always left it pretty lose in there.

Anyway, a few weeks back, both my feet started to cramp bad, so I started playing with the laces mid game. Since then - every time I skate, my feet burn like hell! All across the arch area. Likely that first time, I tied them too tight, but now I'm a headcase about it. I've been trying to run them looser in different places, but after so many years of the same thing... Its hard to get used to anything else and not really providing much relief.

I bought Superfeet Yellows a week back to try and help. Not sure if i love them or not since it almost feels like the slight rise in my heel has pushed my ankles out of the baked/molded indents.

So - I am left with my waxed laces... I have used them for years. Has anyone else experienced foot pain from them, due to the stiffness, and moved back to regular? Much like grip sticks... I feel like waxed laces are just the standard now. I'm not even sure why I use them other than I probably saw Ovi with yellow waxed laces and decided... well the pros do it, so should I.

Thoughts?

-Jim

what brand of wax laces are you using? I know elite are crazy waxed compared to other brands. I used to use regular cloth then tried wax and now using howies non wax laces.

Good question, not sure which brand the yellow ones are. I just tried to throw on Elite Pro-Series Oval laces. They were realllly waxy and stiff as hell Also seems to have the same result. Maybe I just need to get off the damn internet and actually try standard laces again. I still have the ones that came with the X7.0s.

Side note to this, I have been hitting the gym hard lately and eating more. Weight is going up (in a good way) at a steady tick, but maybe that's putting stress on my feet/arches that I haven't had in ages.

I would have that problem with wax laces. I really like a tight feel and the wax laces don't ease up while playing as much as regular laces.

In looking at pics of skates on pro's feet - more often than not the lace job seems so uniform from bottom to top. Look at mine and all the way through the middle is wide as hell, but pinched at the bottom and top by tight laces. Not wide like I have this amazingly tall or volumous foot, but just that my arches can't take the pressure.

I'd imagine the root of this entire thing is that my feet don't like the skates I've been buying for years. I would give the X60's/x7.0s a 10 in performance, but NEVER would I use the word comfortable. Generally, after about 5 minutes on the ice, I have a passing thought about how I can't wait to get them off my feet.

-Jim

I'm not a fan of the Elite wax laces. They are very stiff and seem to get narrow with use. I now use Lowry wax laces. They aren't as waxy and stiff but stay tight. They are also wider and seem to put less spot pressure on the foot.

I had similar issues when I first got back into skating with a pair of Bauer Vapors. I had the same pain in my forefoot after only a short time skating. My feet were just not made for those skates. I learned about the different fit of the different lines of skates, and the pencil test, switched to a pair of Bauer Nexus and haven't had a problem since.

I use skates currently that aren't a perfect fit for my feet, something I'll be addressing here soon as the bonus check comes in. I've kinda just gotten used to them over the years, but there just isn't enough volume for my feet. I love wax laces for their ability to stay tight over nonwaxed, so I've found myself in Howies over elite because they aren't quite as tacky and easier to have "looser" in the area I need them to be, kind of the middle of the boot where my main volume issue is.

I use Elite. They are just Okay. They are very waxy compared to other brands, but are cheap. I also don't crank down on my laces, so when I do tie them, I need them to stay where they are so I'm not skating on something that's overly loose.

However to answer the original question, yes, wax laces can cause feet to hurt, if you are the type that cranks down hard. I know that in my Mako's, if I crank with wax laces, my feet will start throbbing within about 5-10 minutes, which tells me I've tied too tight. Just a light loosen around mid foot, and it goes away.