Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sectachrome

First time in new skates

Hey guys,

I just bought some Supreme 180's this weekend to replace my aging 5 year old CCM Vector 08's. I skated in them for the first time this morning and have mixed feelings about them. I had some pain on the outside of my right forefoot (it's wider than my left slightly), and some pain/rubbing below the ankle bone on the inside of both feet. I did notice the ankle pressure when I tried them on in store, but the guys said it was just because it was a stiffer boot than I was used to. I didn't really notice any pressure points or anything while wearing the skates for the 15 mins after baking them though. Length wise they sized me down to a 9.5 D from a 10 which I think was the right call. I only tried on 2 different Supreme models though, as that was what they recommended for me after measuring my feet. They said Vapors and the new CCM's would be a bad fit for me, and didn't recommend Reeboks at all.

I also felt like I was much more back on my heels than in my CCM's. They did have Superfeet in them which may have given me a little extra forward lean. I'm assuming this is just something I'll adapt to. I felt like I needed to be more conscious of bending my knees and getting lower which is probably a good thing. I could definitely feel the difference in stiffness and felt like I was able to get more powerful strides.

Is this type of stuff par for the course for brand new skates or possibly something to be concerned about? If I got the wrong skate, I guess I'd rather know sooner rather than later. Thanks!

I would skate on them some more and then re-assess. Often times with skates that rigid, you would need to re-bake them again later down the road. If you do, then squeezing in/out on those pressure spots would help. Get your skates pitched forward if you'd like, that's a pretty simple procedure.

I would skate on them some more and then re-assess. Often times with skates that rigid, you would need to re-bake them again later down the road. If you do, then squeezing in/out on those pressure spots would help. Get your skates pitched forward if you'd like, that's a pretty simple procedure.

Thanks. Just feeling a little insecure about such a large purchase I guess. When you say I might need to re bake them again later down the road, how much later and why? I understand baking them a second time to try and get an even better mold but what's the reasoning for waiting in between?

I'll see how I feel after a couple more skates, but I'll keep the forward pitch in mind. I think the E Pro holder had a little bit more forward pitch as well as the Mission inline skates that I really learned to skate on growing up so I'm probably just very used to it.

Waiting and skating in them a few times gives the skate a chance to work in your favor. Any new nuances of fit may appear or previous problems may disappear.

No surprise on the picth, Supremes are a neutral pitch. Fit wise, you don't want to be in pain and rubbing can lead to nasty blisters, however its really hard to tell after just one session. If it's just discomfort, give it more time. If it's flat out pain, you might want to address it sooner, rather than later.

My recommendation is don't wait, if they fit you well all over other than the couple of niggle areas you mention then go and get them punched (ankle area) / stretched (forefoot area) to sort it out. If you feel they are not fitting you well then get them rebaked.

I'd hold off on stretching and/or punching, it's one session. I would spend a bit more time in them before making serious changes.

Skated in them again this morning and hated them. Still all the same issues as noted above, but a little worse due to my foot still being a little sore from before. I noticed a lot more pain this time on the top of my ankle 2 or 3 eyelets down. My right forefoot still felt a bit cramped. I also still had the weird pressure points right below the inside ankle bone on both feet but noticed that it was worse when I was standing straight up and more flat on my feet. Maybe not enough arch support? I still felt a bit too far back on my heels as well - okay once I got up to speed but felt really slow and awkward getting going. Also some sore spots on the outside of both ankles above the ankle bone. I'm gonna head back to Players Bench this weekend and see what they can do for me.

Not good, they should be feeling better each time out, not worse. I'd bring them back in too.

Don't worry too much about the pitch. That's par for the course with Supremes. It's easily corrected.

I laced up my skates just sitting around at home to try and do some more diagnosing of my issues. It seems like I'm just getting bad lace bite on the top eyelets. Both tongues even have a pretty obvious indentation already where the top lace goes across. I'm wondering if because of my issues with the pitch, I'm overcompensating and trying to lean forward too heavily in the boots to make up for it? Maybe they could they be too stiff or something? That was really my main issue with them this morning.

The spots on the inside of my ankles are odd. When I really put my weight into one skate the top of the laces and this area on the inside of my ankle are big pressure points. Actually if I look in the boot I can see some light indents where this part of my ankle is, and its right at the edge of the ankle foam where there is little to no padding. That's probably the cause.

The sore spots on the outside of my ankle are from the top side edge of the boot pushing into the tendon/muscle there. Maybe I have weak ankles and theyre sloping inwards too much? Dunno.

They still seem like they are a great fit when I'm sitting with them on, but problems arise when I actually skate in them :unsure:

it almost sounds like you are having depth issues with the boot. maybe some pictures with your skates on would help.

have you tried skating without the super feet? it might bring back the inner ankle bone.

it almost sounds like you are having depth issues with the boot. maybe some pictures with your skates on would help.

have you tried skating without the super feet? it might bring back the inner ankle bone.

Could be. This is the inside of my right foot, sitting down with the tendon guard touching the back of my leg. I haven't used Superfeet in the new Bauers, just my previous CCM's. In this same position, I start failing the "pencil test" at about the 2nd eyelet. Just to the right of the "R" in "Bauer" is where I'm getting the ankle pain. Basically no padding there at all, hard as a rock.

https://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/g4khTkAgC9rMIbb

Also, here's the shape of the bottom of my foot for whatever it's worth. According CCM's insole guide, I have a medium arch.

https://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/QJSrRz5boTpTLvm

From the picture, failing the pencil test and the description of your problems, it really looks like you don't have enough depth in your skates and that is the cause of your foot pain /problems.

Others on here who are experts can verify but my foot looks like that in supremes that are the proper length and width too. I need the depth of the nexus but the heel of a supreme or vapor. I ended up in the u+cl/12. The graf 709 or 9035 would work for you too. the 9035 has an asymmetrical design where the inner side of the boots are longer / shifted forward to account for the inner ankle bone being more forward than the outer ankle bones.

my personal opinion would be that those supremes aren't going to work for you ever and that you should find a skate with more depth. I tried to make a skate, like how it fits you, to work and all it did was cause lots of foot pain and suffering.

From the picture, failing the pencil test and the description of your problems, it really looks like you don't have enough depth in your skates and that is the cause of your foot pain /problems.

Others on here who are experts can verify but my foot looks like that in supremes that are the proper length and width too. I need the depth of the nexus but the heel of a supreme or vapor. I ended up in the u+cl/12. The graf 709 or 9035 would work for you too. the 9035 has an asymmetrical design where the inner side of the boots are longer / shifted forward to account for the inner ankle bone being more forward than the outer ankle bones.

my personal opinion would be that those supremes aren't going to work for you ever and that you should find a skate with more depth. I tried to make a skate, like how it fits you, to work and all it did was cause lots of foot pain and suffering.

Thanks man! I'm going to actually try on some CCM's this time and I'll look for those Grafs too. I'm definitely not going to try and "make it work". For the amount of money these cost and the fact I only play for fun, I'm really not interested in sacrificing comfort at all.

Side rant: Why do companies market their skate lines as being for agility, or power, etc. when your playing style is basically irrelevant and you just end up using whatever fit works for your foot without much choice in the matter? I didn't buy my skates based on that, but the marketing is weird and confusing and probably accounts for a lot of ill fitting skates for the uninformed. It's very different from any other type of equipment where I can decide I like the features, brand reputation, or even just looks of one or the other and have my pick. I think the individual fit of each skate line should be emphasized a lot more.

The tacks have slightly more depth than the Supreme and maybe a smidge wider in the same size . The rbz are deep and wide as well... along the lines of the nexus but on my foot, a slightly narrower heel.

surprisingly, the makos in ee worked for me even though the volume on makos are on the medium low end.

good luck and try ever skate on no matter what they tell you!

Would it be worth it to hold off on new skates until the end of this month? I see that some new skates are being released the last week of April and am thinking it might be smart to wait and maybe grab some current skates cheaper or get something new for the same price.

Update for anyone interested. I skated in them for a 3rd time today and they felt much better. I put Elite Hockey gel lace bite pads in the tongues and swapped in waxed laces. I didn't have any issues with lace bite which was a relief. I could still feel some pressure on my right inside ankle, but nothing on the left. Also still getting some rubbing on the outside of my ankles from the top edge of the boot. Hopefully they will still get more comfortable, but at least I can enjoy skating now. Now that I'm not focused on foot pain, I like the skate quite a bit though it's still a different feel from my old CCM's. I think I can get used to the more neutral pitch pretty easily after a couple more skates. I can feel the stiffer boot translating into a more powerful stride which is great.