Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

moejoe3117

new to ice, whats the closest sharpening to a roller feel?

I felt much more comfortable back and forth between roller and ice on an 11' radius and with very aggressive toe pitch as well. What boot/holder are you skating on for ice? A lot of stock holders come at 10' I think, although, the profiling experts on here often say the actual radius is often far from an accurate instance of whatever any manufacturer states their standard radius is.

I have too much rocker in my skates. Any suggestions?

Time. It just takes time. I played roller my entire life until a few years back. Its all going to feel weird. A different profile might make you pitch forward a bit, but that's not really imitating inline as much as just imitating the inline skate model you used to have. I skated in RX60s playing roller, so my transition to X7.0s (nearly same skate), pitch wise, was easy.

There isn't a special hollow that makes it a whole lot easier... I guess a less grabby edge would help? For what its worth - I started on a 1/2 cut, and have since moved to FBV 100/50 or 90/75.

-Jim

As Jim said, time. I've coached a lot of kids and adults who have started ice after many inline years. One of the biggest issues is your ice feel will improve but when you go back to roller it often feels "off" for the first 5 minutes or so. A lot also depends on how much roller you have done, the better you are the easier the transition and the more readily you adapt. Don't give up though because in my experience ice will improve your roller a lot because it is more technical and will teach you to skate properly.

I do find, though, that with a longer radius I'm able to use more from my roller experience on ice, and it just makes my skating on ice much better overall. I can shift my weight to a smaller portion of the blade to get a shorter effective contact area out of the larger one due to the longer cut. On a 9' radius, there's no room for that. The same thing goes for all out acceleration. I've read others on here who say the same, that getting a longer radius can help with the transition. For me at least, that's definitely the case.

I'm comfortable enough on a 10', like on the LS2 steel I was skating on last year, but I notice once I get up to speed how short the steel feels, limiting the room for me to move and find my top two gears.

And @moejoe3117, 10' is likely the radius you're on now. I believe stock LS steel is 10'. Is that right?

As Jim said, time. I've coached a lot of kids and adults who have started ice after many inline years. One of the biggest issues is your ice feel will improve but when you go back to roller it often feels "off" for the first 5 minutes or so. A lot also depends on how much roller you have done, the better you are the easier the transition and the more readily you adapt. Don't give up though because in my experience ice will improve your roller a lot because it is more technical and will teach you to skate properly.

What Vet said. I grew up playing roller switched to ice when I got to college. Last night was the first time I played roller in a rink and not on some tennis courts for the first time in about 12 years. For the first 5 minuets or so it was the oddest feeling ever. Once I remembered how to stop and got a feel for the fact the puck doesn't glide as well as it does on ice it felt normal again. To contribute to your original question I wear 190's stock 10' radius with a 5/8ths hollow. My inlines are Alkali RPD Team with millennium grippers X-soft.

As someone who converted from roller to ice - as others have already have said it just takes time. I changed to a non-linear rollerblade frame to make the transtition easier - and even if I completely stopped playing ice I would still prefer marsblades to a straight frame.

As far as sharpening goes - I personally found it easier a more shallow hollow easier to learn on because its more forgiving. I started off with a 1/2" and moved up from there. I now get my skates sharpened at 3/4" - which I found is the best hollow for me.

I agree with louierev7.

I covered from roller to ice and found the transition easier with a shallower hollow as well. I now skate on 7/8 or 1 inch depending on the ice.

it just takes time and practice like everyone said.

Another vote for using a shallow hollow. I went from 5/8 to 3/4 to 7/8 with a traditional hollow before switching to 90/50 FBV.

Another vote for using a shallow hollow. I went from 5/8 to 3/4 to 7/8 with a traditional hollow before switching to 90/50 FBV.

I rotate between 7/8 and an 1" depending on ice conditions as well. I am a lifelong roller player.

Basic hollows offered here are around 7/8" and 1". Asking for 3/4" or deeper usually results in a weird stare and the question if you're sure about it.

As said, it's all about edge control. Skaters with poorer technique tend to use a deeper hollow as a crutch.

I get the opposite look out here in California... I ask for 7/8 or an inch and they ask me if I'm sure I want that/ look at me like I'm crazy....

I tried asking for 1 1/4 once and the shop basically told me they couldn't go that shallow. :(

I got the same looks and dissuasions from my LHS in Wisconsin when I was in high school. I wish FBV had been around back then, but at the time, I wanted a 1" hollow, maybe 1 1/2". The manager refused to do it, and said 'not even goalies go that shallow.'

I got the same looks and dissuasions from my LHS in Wisconsin when I was in high school. I wish FBV had been around back then, but at the time, I wanted a 1" hollow, maybe 1 1/2". The manager refused to do it, and said 'not even goalies go that shallow.'

You should have said, "But Paul Coffey does."

I actually did!

I had just read one of those articles about his edges being between 1" and 2" and even how he used to like his edge "rounded off" by the equipment manager. I had just come from having the best edge experience ever in 6-years of skating on ice, and it came after I had forgotten to get my skates sharpened after 5-hours of trashing my edges on grit-filled outdoor ice. I just gave the edges some swipes with a stone and the effect was perfect. I couldn't get that feeling back. Now that there's FBV, there's at least something easily replicable that I love skating on.