Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mjpisat

Slashing in beer league

Someone enlighten me. Stick checks, yes I get it. No issue there. But two handed wind up tomahawk chops to a stick....is that allowed? Other team had three dudes doing it last night. One time I almost got hit on the wrist. No penalties called. I finally lost it and freaked out.

Some of our refs are pretty bad. Last game we have a ref who has the rep of thinking he is on the NHL ref's waiting list and blows 90% of the whistles. 1st period we are tied in a really good game. King ref is at the blue line while his partner is close to the goal line. We bounce a shot off the post and it stops a foot behind the goalie who has no idea where it is. Just as I am about to get to the puck King ref blows the whistle because he lost sight of the puck even though the ref in the right spot is watching. 7 seconds left in the game, still tied. King ref is out of position again. The other team shoots, our goalie stops the puck between his elbow and body, hears the whistle and relaxes. The puck drops to the ice and wobbles across the goal line. King ref throws his arm and calls it a goal. I go ape s*#t and get tossed.

Bottom line is most beer league refs just don't care about the game. Nothing you can do about it, just try and keep going.

In my A/B league I could probably play without equipment if it weren't for getting hit with shots. In my C league there's constant slashing, and hooking my stick when I don't have the puck. Drives me mad too.

From experience...

Higher levels tend to have more respect (barely, if any, fights, if so... begins and ends on the ice)

Lower levels tend to have more ego (constant chirping and baiting for fights, elbows to the head/throat, slashes, boarding, cross-checking, charging, knee-on-knee action... the main force behind parking lot brawls)

And amazing how much of that wouldn't be there if the refs cared enough to actually do something to stop it before it escalates.

Parking lot brawls? Glad I am not in California. Chippy here some times but not too bad. Could be because here in MN we have a deep understanding of da game. Never have seen a parking lot brawl in >50 years of play. Have seen and been part of in my younger days some minor skirmishes on the ice.

Looking into upgrading my gloves. For some reason I keep catching them right across my thumb knuckles. It's beer league, chill out. Higher levels are definitely cleaner than the lower levels.

I get pretty pissed when the nasty stuff doesn't get called. I give the ref one warning before I take things into my own hands. I figure that the worst thing that happens is I get tossed and don't have to deal with it anymore.

Parking lot brawls? Glad I am not in California. Chippy here some times but not too bad. Could be because here in MN we have a deep understanding of da game. Never have seen a parking lot brawl in >50 years of play. Have seen and been part of in my younger days some minor skirmishes on the ice.

Tell that to the guy in Minnesota who had to be restrained during a game and then left the ice threatening to get his gun. Wasn't even a league game it was a Sunday morning pickup game. There are morons and guys with temper problems everywhere.

That was a conflict over a fishing hole. The hockey is kind in MN. The other possibility was one of those Canadians that do not know the game snuck over the border.

We in MN are gentlemen except for the tight fishing holes on da opener.

when I was a kid the saying in Duluth was " if you can't beat them on the ice beat them in the parking lot". We out grew that by 50.

The incident you speak of must have happened over da bridge in Superior WI.

I'm sure the beer is colder, the sun shines brighter, and the girls are prettier in MN too. As Neal said, there are idiots and hot heads everywhere. And I thought the people around here were provincial.

I'm sure the beer is colder, the sun shines brighter, and the girls are prettier in MN too. As Neal said, there are idiots and hot heads everywhere. And I thought the people around here were provincial.

Around here, you can add being Flyers fans to the problem. Nothing quite like a beer league game against a guy that thinks he needs to play like Bobby Clarke without the skill.

The beer is indeed colder. The women here are known for their hod dish cooking ability.

Hard to agree with someone from PA but the person slashing in da beer league is usually not the best skater or shooter.

The prettiest girl is da best cook. 30 plus years tells me that.

The old STs can sure take a stick slash and come out on top.