Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ktang

Slap Shot - Double Hit vs Single

I see 2 types of slap shots:

- the ones in which the ice is contacted behind the puck, and the blade hits the puck twice (initial hit, 2nd hit when the stick recoils); and

- the ones in which the puck is further back, the blade contacts the puck and ice almost simultaneously and the puck is only hit once.

Which shaft type and blade type are better suited for each type of slap shot? It seems like a heel wedge on a stiffer mid-kick shaft would work better for the double-hit, and deeper mid-curve blades would work better for single-hit.

I see 2 types of slap shots:

- the ones in which the ice is contacted behind the puck, and the blade hits the puck twice (initial hit, 2nd hit when the stick recoils); and

- the ones in which the puck is further back, the blade contacts the puck and ice almost simultaneously and the puck is only hit once.

Which shaft type and blade type are better suited for each type of slap shot? It seems like a heel wedge on a stiffer mid-kick shaft would work better for the double-hit, and deeper mid-curve blades would work better for single-hit.

I really don't understand how the stick hits the puck twice. Personally, I would be more concerned hitting the puck once, properly

I really don't understand how the stick hits the puck twice. Personally, I would be more concerned hitting the puck once, properly

There are some super-slo-mo vids of slapshots that show the puck initially bouncing off the blade, and then when the stick recoils, the blade hits the puck a second time. I will try to find them later when I get home.

Pardon my newness but I've always thought a slapshot is when the stick hits the ice just a bit before the puck (and flexing the stick) and then connecting with the puck afterwards.

The OP is totally right. In the late 70s, one of the hockey mags (I believe it was probably Hockey Magazine) did a whole article on it and showed frame-by-frame high-speed pictures of the double hit. I believe it happens when you strike the puck and the ice simultaneously instead of hitting the ice behind the puck. The puck moves forward from the initial contact, then the stick flexes and snaps back fast enough to catch the puck a second time. I've always thought that this might have something to do with the softer muffled sound of some guys' shots and with the way some shots seem to come of the stick faster than others that seem somewhat delayed. I don't remember the full title of the article but I definitely remember that part of it (or the subtitle) was "The Coefficient of Restitution." I've tried several times, unsuccessfully, to find it online and even asked Dr. Mike Bracko whether he was familiar with it. His response was very polite but suggested that he'd never heard of the phenomenon and didn't believe in it. I was planning on asking a librarian for help the next time I have a chance to go to the main NYC public library. Anybody here know a good research librarian?

if you hit the puck twice while doing a slap shot something is wrong . You hit the ice a behind the puck in order to load the stick.

Nobody's purposely doing that and usually the people with double-strike shots don't even know it until someone happens to capture it in slo-mo. This topic first came up a few months ago when one of the coaches at my rink was telling me about a kid with a wicked shot whose slo-mo film showed that he hits the puck twice. He was explaining it like it was some incredible rarity that he'd never heard of before, so I told him about that old article I read. They load their sticks as much as anybody else; they just happen to do it after hitting the puck and ice together instead of loading it first by striking only the ice first.

So, it looks like I had it backwards; thanks to YesLanges for the correction:

- the double-strike slapshot occurs with shots in which the puck and the ice are contacted shortly apart, or simultaneously; and

- the single-strike slapshot occurs with shots in which the ice is contacted quite a bit before the puck.

Anyways, I'm still curious to see which types of blade patterns and shaft flexes are better suited for each type of slapshot. Blade stiffness and shaft torsional stiffness may also have an effect.

It could be that this hasn't been researched or published yet.

This is not a perfect video, but at the frames around 1:07 you can see the slight separation between the blade and the puck in Shawn Thornton's slapshot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYazLovH7Ok

Here are some overhead stills with a stiff blade:

http://www.true-hockey.com/technology/xcore

and the overhead video:

https://youtu.be/TdaoBF9pV2E

I prefer to have the puck farther back in my stance and make contact with the puck and ice at the same time. I tend to "trap" the puck between my blade and the ice and generally do not feel it make double contact. Because of the way I let the shaft load, mid kick or normal tapered shafts work best for me.

Still can't quote, Chad. When I hit the Quote button, I just get the reply field without a working cursor...I have to hit backspace to get back to a reply field that I can type into. Nothing happens when I try to use the Manage Attachments function to upload a photo either, and the Image link only prompts me for a URL. (Can't copy/paste, either...just tried to switch the order of these 2 paragraphs and nothing gets pasted.)

You should have someone video your shot at the contact point...there's an app for that but I forget what it is. It happens too fast to perceive it, but my guess is that if you know you're hitting puck and ice together, chances are you're also hitting the puck twice without realizing it. The kid I mentioned earlier had no idea it was happening either. Any thoughts on how to track down that old Hockey Magazine article? It would be great to post for these discussions.

Still can't quote, Chad. When I hit the Quote button, I just get the reply field without a working cursor...I have to hit backspace to get back to a reply field that I can type into. Nothing happens when I try to use the Manage Attachments function to upload a photo either, and the Image link only prompts me for a URL. (Can't copy/paste, either...just tried to switch the order of these 2 paragraphs and nothing gets pasted.)

You should have someone video your shot at the contact point...there's an app for that but I forget what it is. It happens too fast to perceive it, but my guess is that if you know you're hitting puck and ice together, chances are you're also hitting the puck twice without realizing it. The kid I mentioned earlier had no idea it was happening either. Any thoughts on how to track down that old Hockey Magazine article? It would be great to post for these discussions.

The problem is with your computer/browser, there is nothing that we can do on the site to fix your problem.

I make contact much farther back in my stance than most people, the puck is usually stuck between the blade and the ice. I can feel it under the blade and then on the blade when I transition forward. If there is any point where it is off the blade, it is imperceptible and irrelevant as it is no longer than a thousandth of a second. The "double hit" that people talk about happens when you have the puck farther forward in your stance than I do and they do not trap the puck.