Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

calixguy18

Trigger Finger

Has anyone ever had the medical condition known as "trigger finger" due to playing hockey or not? This isn't relating to guns or anything like that. I'm asking because I think I have it and think it's due to playing hockey. I'm looking at surgery to get it fixed and want to see if anyone has had it done and what the outcome was. I won't gross anyone out and get into the details of the surgery but you can google "a1 pulley release" and a lot of info will come up.

I had the problem last year, got a cortisone shot, took 8 months off due to bunion surgery (during which time it was fine), started playing hockey again and the issue came right back. It is occuring to the mddle finger in my bottom hand while holding a stick. I think the issue arose from taking too many slapshots.

My dad had it. He got it fixed by a surgeon but now it hurts him constantly. Not big pain but annoyance. He got it from just working around the house and life.

I'd show you the mess that's currently going on with my bottom hand thumb but I'm having no luck uploading a picture to my posts and still can't use the quote function at all. (I know how to do both on other similar forums but it just doesn't work for me here.)

My son had it and had the surgery a few years ago. Pic just after surgery and the first time he tried to take a shot after, was seeing if he thought he could play that night....

Surgery.jpg

SummerFun7.jpg

SummerFun8.jpg

SummerFun9.jpg

Yes. When I was golfing a lot I had it in my left pinky (right-handed). Went away after stopping golf for a month or so.

Since I started playing goal I've noticed I get it in my right pinky (stick hand). Again it goes away eventually with rest.

Not really sure I can do much about it besides the rest (and ice packs) and just hope it never becomes permanent.

& when I say play that night, it was a few days later, pre stitches out, but had healed up a bit. Fixed it, good as gold now.

His finger would painfully lock up and he'd have to physically pull it straight with his other hand. Could always tell when it would happen on the ice.

& when I say play that night, it was a few days later, pre stitches out, but had healed up a bit. Fixed it, good as gold now.

His finger would painfully lock up and he'd have to physically pull it straight with his other hand. Could always tell when it would happen on the ice.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was going to ask next. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one with the problem and the fix works. My middle finger is stuck curled up for about an hour after I wake up in the morning. It's extremely painful and pretty much not possible to be pulled straight with the other hand. After a while, it just relaxes on its own but is tender the rest of the day.

How soon after was your son able to play again?

I think he played in a week. Think surgery was a Thursday, the pics by the pool were the following Monday seeing if he could play(didn't) and so probably played later that week? Don't remember exactly. I was surprised the length of time stitches stayed, think it was 10 days. He played with the stitches still in.

I think he played in a week. Think surgery was a Thursday, the pics by the pool were the following Monday seeing if he could play(didn't) and so probably played later that week? Don't remember exactly. I was surprised the length of time stitches stayed, think it was 10 days. He played with the stitches still in.

That's good to hear. I was afraid it would be more like 4-6 weeks but 1-2 weeks isn't bad.

Just an update in case anyone needs this in the future: I had my stitches taken out 10 days after surgery. I tried to play about 3 days later and my hand was not very useful. There was a tremendous amount of pain when there was any kind of impact with the stick and puck. I was barely able to pass and shooting (wrist shot) was out of the question. Interestingly enough, I did score a hat trick during this game (one deflection and two rebound goals). The pain continued for about another 2 weeks, although the goal output did not.

I'd say about a 4-6 weeks after the surgery was when I was able to shoot again. It actually still hurts somewhat but you ignore it as the game goes on. I think it's been about 8 weeks since my surgery and I'm not shooting slappers yet. I play beer league so I'm taking it easy. YMMV.