Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockeydog

getting beat to loose pucks off draw

So I play wing, and am getting beat to loose pucks on draws where I need to go pretty much straight. This is likely related to quick start technique but when you see what the "experts " say about quick starts it always is about a V start with heels close together. I get that the V start drill is just that, a drill, but nobody lines up for a face-off in that V position. I have tried a wide stance on my flats, narrower (hip width) stance on flats, and both stances on a slight inside edge. Toes pointed in, out, etc.

I know this could be hard to describe, especially if you have been playing forever, but I am looking for some on ice technical tips to help out. I do hit the weights and do some sprint and plyo work off ice.

My x-over starts are somewhat shabby as well, but the straight ahead stuff is beating me down. Also this is based on the other guy not cheating off the draw anymore than I am. Looking for tips with mechanics if anyone can help.

Thanks as always!

Watch the hand of the referee/linesman and start moving when their puck hand starts moving, don't wait for the puck to hit the ice. Other than that, work on leg strength. If you don't have quick feet, you need to have power.

If you know you can't win the race then at least don't lose the race. Tying up your winger at the drop can turn a puck race into a puck battle or buy time for one of your teammates to beat his man and get to the puck.

Pay attention to the guys taking the face off on the other team. Most of them do the same thing on the draw. If they have their bottom hand turned over they are most likely to pull the puck back. Are they right or left handed and where is the faceoff? How tight is the other team lining up? Talk to your center and see what they are going to do. Things like this give you a good idea where the puck is going to go so you should have an idea where you are going. If you have to tie up the other team just be careful you don't get called for interference.

Anticipation can make you faster to the puck because you are already heading in the right direction. Gretzky talks often about how his father trained him to go where the puck is going to be instead of chasing where it is.

Anticipation can make you faster to the puck because you are already heading in the right direction. Gretzky talks often about how his father trained him to go where the puck is going to be instead of chasing where it is.

"Being a step ahead mentally can make up for being a step behind physically" - me

Watch for when the ref releases the puck from his hand and start moving as soon as you see it. Also talk with your center prior to the drop and see what he plans on doing that way you know where to be should your center win the draw. I'm normally a center but on the occasions I've played wing I've kept my dominant foot loaded for the first stride or alternatively I know you said no one starts in a V-start which is true but I'll sometimes shift my weight a little past the balls of my feet to mimic the stance without being in the full v-start stance. Lastly since you do off ice training why not practice some explosive start drills with your plyo work. Start in the stance you would for a face off and then sprint 10 yards trying to explode out of the stance. If you have a trainer or buddy have them give the whistle/command to sprint randomly to simulate the actual puck drop happening at differing intervals.

When you line up, do you get low by bending your back, hinging at the hips, or bending your knees? Also, how are your skate blades pitched?

I had the same issue. I fixed it by switching to center

I am trying to switch to center ! Gotta convince one of my current centers they'd make an awesome winger LOL

When you line up, do you get low by bending your back, hinging at the hips, or bending your knees? Also, how are your skate blades pitched?

I am bent at the knees, but also maybe have a bit of a bending at the back going on. My skate blades are usually pointed straight ahead so I can react in any direction, and mostly on the flats of the blades for the same reason.

Get your weight on your toes when you are at the face off. You can still go any direction but are set up for a hard push.

as a winger at the face off, should you automatically be crashing in towards the face off on drop and then adjust to where the puck is heading or should you react to where the puck ends up? I guess my question is should I already instinctually be heading in towards the face off circle as the ref is dropping his hand?

I think it depends on what your center wants to do. If he is going for a tie-up, then the wingers go for the dot as soon as the linesman flinches. If he is shooting it towards a spot, the hot winger goes for the spot.

Sadly, my centers never indicate what they want to do, mostly because they don't have a plan and just wing it ( pun intended).

The few times I have played center I always let my D-man and that side wing know if I am "trying " to get it back to the D , or towards the net, etc. May be one reason I am flat footed on the draw, I have not the slightest clue what is going to happen, or what the center wants to happen. LOL I just recently joined this team, and they are good guys so once I have cemented my way in a bit I'll bring it up with the centers. Thanks for the mechanics advice everyone, I'll have some time next week to get to an open skate and work on it!

I think it depends on what your center wants to do. If he is going for a tie-up, then the wingers go for the dot as soon as the linesman flinches. If he is shooting it towards a spot, the hot winger goes for the spot.

What should the average looking winger do?