Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingfooj

Vapor x700 taking over for x90/x:60?

Just got the skates into my shop and It looks like the x700 is the only model with the true tech mesh. At a $399 starting price point its amazing how affordable this good of a skate is now(if it is the same as the x90/x:60).

Does anyone know what the actual differences are from the past tech mesh models, if there is any? Also will pros in the x90s be in x700 labeled skates, or will bauer try to label them as a more expensive model to drive sales.

If I remember correctly, my Bauer rep said that there will not be a direct replacement for that pro level tech mesh skate. The X700 is a replacement for the X80.

But to your first point, you're absolutely right. This year's Vapor lineup is the best I've ever seen; from ANY company for value at every price point!

weird because the x80 tech mesh is more of a nylon-ish weave when you feel it compared to this boot that feelss like the same mesh used with the 90. i could be wrong but maybe the rep was just trying to make it sound like the x90 was above this boot since the x700's price point is so low relative to what the 90 started at?

I wear an X5.0 ,which has a full composite outsole. That outsole seems to only be available on the top 2 curv models now. The highest end , nylon skate, has TPU. This comes as a bummer for someone that wants a higher end , nylon skate. Unless the technology of injected plastic has come a long way since the X4.0?

There are probably a million other things in the skate that make way more of a difference than the material of the outsole.

I do wonder why they seem to be phasing out the high end tech mesh skates, even though many pros prefer them. I guess it must be a business thing, you know why would you go to composite boot if you can get virtually the same skate for much cheaper with a tech mesh quarter. Well now you don't have that option, so if you want high end you have to pay high end. Seems like a prudent business decision.

Also will pros in the x90s be in x700 labeled skates, or will bauer try to label them as a more expensive model to drive sales.

I was surprised when I saw how many Nexus-dressed vapors there were at the start of this year, and not just in the NHL, but in junior, KHL, etc. Then I thought, it makes sense for exactly this reason. It affords Bauer the chance to still offer elite players the skate they prefer, while focusing public attention on the Vapor brand under the conditions optimal for Bauer. In another way, the idea would fit the Nexus line, if Nexus is supposed to stay more traditional than Vapor and Supreme, because the tech mesh skate is becoming "traditional" in the sense that Bauer's incrementally moving along. It helps that Nexus is a mostly blacked out graphics package, the better to better obscure a legacy model.

For the record, X5.0 has a "full fiber composite" outsole, which is more fiberglass than carbon fiber, and probably closer to a Pro TPR outsole in stiffness than a carbon composite outsole. Also agree with Aireaye, there are a lot bigger considerations than outsole material in skate performance, and the new skates from Bauer demonstrate this pretty well -- improving lateral stiffness with better quarter package materials throughout the whole line. Though the relegation of a "pro-level" tech mesh quarter to only the Nexus line that doesn't fit most skaters is a massive bummer.