Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dangle_Snipe_19

New stick and curve

So I'm 13, Play AAA, I weigh 100 pounds and am just short of 5ft. I'm a guy who likes to dangle (I have the best hands in my division) and I like to take hard, accurate wrist shots. With the occasional one timer. I don't take snap shots or slapshots at all. So now that you know a bit about me here is my question : I'm looking into getting 2 new sticks for next season (Game stick and a back-up) I have a few options, Apx2, 1x, Tacks, Rbz (Superfast or Stage 2), Mx3, Nexus 1000 or 8000 and the Nxg. I just can't decide, so what are your opinions and feedback on these sticks? What would be the best combination for myself?

Second question : I have used a p08 or a p92 most of my life, but I may want to try something new such as the p88 or even p14. Any opinions on these curves for my style of play are very much welcomed. Please leave feedback below

P.s. - Money does not matter

Thank you for your time and help - Halen

Best choice for you based on qualities of the stick would be an APX2 or 1X. APX2 will be cheaper, and while I'm open to other people with different opinions, I think the difference as opposed to the 1X would be negligible. RBZs wouldn't be bad either, again, I'd go with the Stage 2 over the Superfast because of the price differential/negligible difference in performance. As far as the differences between the two, the Vapors will have a slightly softer blade while the RBZ will be stiffer and "pingy" -- RBZ will give you more pop, but that's less of an issue if you're not taking snapshots often. Moreover, Vapors are a low kick while RBZs are a constant flex shaft, so you'll arguably get a quicker release out of the Vapor. Vapor shaft is also a bit slimmer/rounder than the RBZ

NXG/MX3/Tacks are all similar mid-kick, softer blade sticks. Not the best for a wrister guy, but maybe what you're looking for if you've had trouble receiving passes (bouncing off the blade) in the past.

I've never used a P92 or P08, but regularly use the P88 and P14. The P14 is my go-to for offense. It's the curve I feel I can most accurately position the puck on net with when taking wrist or snap shots. I initially struggled passing accurately with it, but that should not be a huge adjustment for you coming from an open, toe-biased pattern to begin with in the P92. I still struggle keeping clappers down with the P14. P88 has a decent mid curve but a relatively closed face and is the pattern I prefer for defense and passing accurately, or if I've been rocketing pucks high too often on the P14. It's a good all-around pattern for O or D, but I feel less confident that it will get the puck where I want it to go on wristers and snappers than I do with the P14.

More important for you than selecting a stick out of the 5 you talked about is picking the right flex. Given your height and weight, I would absolutely avoid any senior sticks, and would be cautious about using an intermediate. Unless you're unnaturally strong for your size, I'd try to stay in the higher junior or lower intermediate flex ranges (50-60).

Hopefully this was helpful and not so much information/factors that it makes your head spin.

Some good sticks not included in your question that fit generally what you're looking for: Sherwood EK15, Warrior QR1, Bauer Nexus 8000 (think of it as a tweener between the Supreme and Vapor).

Thanks for your feedback, I generally use junior sticks in 50 flex. If I use an intermidiate I have to cut it down and it ends up about 75 flex (Too much). I'm thinking I wanna try a 1x or apx2 p14 for my game stick and an possibly another apx2 (p88) or maybe an rbz stage 2 (nug-hops curve) as my back up stick. I've always been a Bauer guy for everything, but I'm getting into ccm sticks a little bit so I would prefer to have a Bauer or ccm stick. I'm also looking at a nexus 1000 or 8000 as a back up stick to.

Thank you so much - Halen

Best choice for you based on qualities of the stick would be an APX2 or 1X. APX2 will be cheaper, and while I'm open to other people with different opinions, I think the difference as opposed to the 1X would be negligible. RBZs wouldn't be bad either, again, I'd go with the Stage 2 over the Superfast because of the price differential/negligible difference in performance. As far as the differences between the two, the Vapors will have a slightly softer blade while the RBZ will be stiffer and "pingy" -- RBZ will give you more pop, but that's less of an issue if you're not taking snapshots often. Moreover, Vapors are a low kick while RBZs are a constant flex shaft, so you'll arguably get a quicker release out of the Vapor. Vapor shaft is also a bit slimmer/rounder than the RBZ

NXG/MX3/Tacks are all similar mid-kick, softer blade sticks. Not the best for a wrister guy, but maybe what you're looking for if you've had trouble receiving passes (bouncing off the blade) in the past.

I've never used a P92 or P08, but regularly use the P88 and P14. The P14 is my go-to for offense. It's the curve I feel I can most accurately position the puck on net with when taking wrist or snap shots. I initially struggled passing accurately with it, but that should not be a huge adjustment for you coming from an open, toe-biased pattern to begin with in the P92. I still struggle keeping clappers down with the P14. P88 has a decent mid curve but a relatively closed face and is the pattern I prefer for defense and passing accurately, or if I've been rocketing pucks high too often on the P14. It's a good all-around pattern for O or D, but I feel less confident that it will get the puck where I want it to go on wristers and snappers than I do with the P14.

More important for you than selecting a stick out of the 5 you talked about is picking the right flex. Given your height and weight, I would absolutely avoid any senior sticks, and would be cautious about using an intermediate. Unless you're unnaturally strong for your size, I'd try to stay in the higher junior or lower intermediate flex ranges (50-60).

Hopefully this was helpful and not so much information/factors that it makes your head spin.

Some good sticks not included in your question that fit generally what you're looking for: Sherwood EK15, Warrior QR1, Bauer Nexus 8000 (think of it as a tweener between the Supreme and Vapor).

Happy to help. If you've got a teammate with one of the RBZ sticks, ask if you can take a few passes and stickhandle with it to see if you like the feel before picking one up. They have very pingy blades and will be a significant adjustment for someone who's used to Bauer sticks. Some people love it, some people hate it, some people are just okay with it but feel they can make the adjustment.

I really don't know anything about the performance of the junior level sticks, but I will offer you my experiences in the 70-75 range, as well as some general questions to ask yourself on the curve choice.

You might want to look at Sherwood also. I am a wrister guy, and by far the best wrist shots I have taken in the last few years have been with my EK15 and my RBZ stage 2. I have only demo'd the APX2, and didn't like it, but my demo was a p08, not ideal for me.

as far as curve goes, you need to ask yourself these questions: how often do I use the backhand, and do I prefer to shoot low or high. As a beer leaguer, I prefer to shoot low, as I am finding for the most part guys are less nimble with their legs than they are their arms at this level. This is why I have stuck with the p88 or p09, but may try a 14 myself sometime. Personally I think my perfect curve doesn't exist retail (p09, p88 mix), so I tend to prefer the 09 on Defense and 88 on forward.

Personally I'd consider a 1X, 60 flex, and play it a bit longer than average. Perhape a P14 or P28. I find a longer stick makes the quick wrist and snap shots easier, but might need a little extra stick handling practice.

But definitely a low kick stick.

Also, important questions, what stick are you using now, and what did or didn't you like about it?

Yeah, that's really important.

Personally I'd consider a 1X, 60 flex, and play it a bit longer than average. Perhape a P14 or P28. I find a longer stick makes the quick wrist and snap shots easier, but might need a little extra stick handling practice.

I would probably cut it down, I liek a shorter stick to dangle witch

Yeah, that's really important.

I used an Apx2 and a Nexus 4000 all season, both are not in working condition now I liked the Apx2 a lot, the nexus was ok

Since you prefer wrist shots, I agree with the other members recommendation of low kick sticks. The fact that you liked the APX2 reinforces that the fact that low kick sticks are a good choice since that's a low kick stick.

Since you like to dangle, are used to P92 and P08 curves and it sounds like you might want to try a new curve, I would suggest trying the Bauer P28, Warrior W28 Yakupov or Easton E28 curve. The 28 series of curves offers more toe which can make moves like toe drags even easier. Unfortunately, I took a peak at the Bauer catalogue and the P28 is only available in Senior and Intermediate models - it's not an available curve for junior sticks. Warrior does offer the W28 Yakupov curve in the Junior Covert QR1 stick. Easton also offers the V9E in the E28 curve in a Junior 50 Flex - I assume the new Easton CX sticks will also be available in that pattern and flex when they're released in the near future.

If you can try teammates sticks with various patterns you're interested in or at least play around with some in a store with a shooting pad that'd be ideal. Even if a stick has great feel, balance and pop you won't want to use it much if you can't stand the curve.

Here are the sticks I'd consider:

• Warrior Covert QR1 Junior 50 flex W28 Yakupov curve. This is a low kick stick that's known to be great for wrist shots and is available in a pattern that may be worth trying. It's also available in W88 (Bauer P88 clone) and W03 (similar to P92) patterns.
  • Easton V9E or the new CX Junior 50 flex E28 pattern.
  • Sherwood EK15 Junior 50 Flex P26 Stastny (P92 clone). Low kick, great balance, lightest stick on the market. Does not come in an E28 clone.
  • Bauer 1X Junior 50 flex in either a P92 curve that you're used to or in a P88 or P14.
  • CCM RBZ2 or Superfast Junior 50 flex (nug-Hopkins is the closest to a P92 as mentioned)

I know you like Bauer and are starting to like CCM, but I'd consider all brands and options. If you can get to a store with a shooting range and play around with all of the low kick 50 flex sticks you can in a few patterns that'd be ideal. You should then choose the one or two that feel best to you regardless of the brand. There are other manufacturers that make quality low kick sticks as well (STX, True ect.) - I just listed some of the ones that should be easy to find in stores.

Got it. Yeah if you liked the APX2, I don't see much of a reason to stray too far. Stick with an APX2 or 1X as your primary stick and maybe consider the RBZ as a backup if you wanna try something new.

Not liking the Nexus 4000 doesn't really tell us a lot because it's a mid-range stick and will perform way differently than a top of the line stick.

Thanks for your help guys

I'm trying friends and teammates sticks now and I think I like to rbz and the 1x the best

I haven't had a chance to try the p14 yet, but I found out I love the p88

For the rbz (stage 2) I'm thinking a nug-hops curve

I tried a few Easton, warrior and Sherr-Wood sticks

I hated sherr-wood (I liked the wrist shots (they were pretty good) but I didn't like the feel for stick handling (Using the fast hands from hockey shot and the Patrick Kane stick handling test) so overall I didn't like the stick

I thought warrior was ok (qrt) I mean it was ok, definetly not a favourite

I liked the Easton (newest synergy stick) and the stealth stx (I think, I don't know much about Easton) but I found I wasn't a fan of the grip and I didn't like the performance on wrist shots

But I also tried and nxg and an mx3 and I actually thought they were pretty good. The feel of the puck on the blade was good (not as good as my vapors). Snapshots and slapshot said were great. but wrist shots (my go to shot) were not likeable at all

So I'm thinking about an intermidiate with a P28 curve, sounds like I would like it, I'm just not sure, because I would have to cut down the stick, turning it into 70-75 ish flex, which is a lot for me. Opinions are welcomed

Also, I would like some opinions / feedback / reviews or nexus sticks

But I'm also considering warrior and Easton at this point

So really I think the main questions is - P88 vs P14?

And some more reviews of anyone who has a 1x or apx2 or an rbz stage 2 would be very helpful

Thank you so much all of you for your time -Halen

Thanks for your help guys

I'm trying friends and teammates sticks now and I think I like to rbz and the 1x the best

I haven't had a chance to try the p14 yet, but I found out I love the p88

For the rbz (stage 2) I'm thinking a nug-hops curve

I tried a few Easton, warrior and Sherr-Wood sticks

I hated sherr-wood (I liked the wrist shots (they were pretty good) but I didn't like the feel for stick handling (Using the fast hands from hockey shot and the Patrick Kane stick handling test) so overall I didn't like the stick

I thought warrior was ok (qrt) I mean it was ok, definetly not a favourite

I liked the Easton (newest synergy stick) and the stealth stx (I think, I don't know much about Easton) but I found I wasn't a fan of the grip and I didn't like the performance on wrist shots

But I also tried and nxg and an mx3 and I actually thought they were pretty good. The feel of the puck on the blade was good (not as good as my vapors). Snapshots and slapshot said were great. but wrist shots (my go to shot) were not likeable at all

So I'm thinking about an intermidiate with a P28 curve, sounds like I would like it, I'm just not sure, because I would have to cut down the stick, turning it into 70-75 ish flex, which is a lot for me. Opinions are welcomed

Also, I would like some opinions / feedback / reviews or nexus sticks

But I'm also considering warrior and Easton at this point

So really I think the main questions is - P88 vs P14?

And some more reviews of anyone who has a 1x or apx2 or an rbz stage 2 would be very helpful

Thank you so much all of you for your time -Halen

CCMs p88 is the hossa curve. not sure if you were asking there, or just generally saying you will go with the nugent hopkins.

Get the 1X over the Apx2 the apx2 i don't think fits your needs very well. You sound like you need a low kick stick with a curve similar to the P92 id try the P28 or E28 (V9E) W28 (QR1) I used to use the P92 tried the E28 and never went back the adjustment period is not that long i got the hang of it fairly quickly. 1X is a fantastic stick i was always a point per game guy but racked up a lot more assists than goals with my last stick I had 8 goals in 30 games since i got the 1X i have 16 genos in the last 26 games and I'm a center that takes mostly quick motion snap and wrist shots like yourself.

For your size and weight, I'd stay in the junior range at this point. Especially if you were comfortable with your last junior sticks. Intermediates might be more appropriate when you get up around 120-150 lbs, or if you grow 5+ inches (which at 13, might happen very soon). The jump to a 60 or 65 flex stick that you're going to have to cut a lot off of will bring it to at least a 70 flex, possibly up to 80.

CCM Blade Equivalents
Bauer p14 = closest is a CCM P46 Landeskog (Pattern DB says they're the same specs for the curve with a small difference in lie. In person, the Landeskog always looks like it's got a deeper curve and more closed face to me)
p88 = p40 Hossa (small differences, but very close)

Get the 1X over the Apx2 the apx2 i don't think fits your needs very well. You sound like you need a low kick stick with a curve similar to the P92 id try the P28 or E28 (V9E) W28 (QR1) I used to use the P92 tried the E28 and never went back the adjustment period is not that long i got the hang of it fairly quickly. 1X is a fantastic stick i was always a point per game guy but racked up a lot more assists than goals with my last stick I had 8 goals in 30 games since i got the 1X i have 16 genos in the last 26 games and I'm a center that takes mostly quick motion snap and wrist shots like yourself.

You sound a lot like me, center man, quick hard wrist shots, but I tend to score usually like once a game, sometimes more. but not always I've got 18 goals in 24 games with an apx2. I'm the kinda guy who no d wants me to have the puck,I love to dangle, split the d, then attempt a good dangle on the goalie (I'm trying to improve my Forsberg/ Kane shoot out dangles to where I can score everytime) I think I will go with a 1x

I really don't know anything about the performance of the junior level sticks, but I will offer you my experiences in the 70-75 range, as well as some general questions to ask yourself on the curve choice.

You might want to look at Sherwood also. I am a wrister guy, and by far the best wrist shots I have taken in the last few years have been with my EK15 and my RBZ stage 2. I have only demo'd the APX2, and didn't like it, but my demo was a p08, not ideal for me.

as far as curve goes, you need to ask yourself these questions: how often do I use the backhand, and do I prefer to shoot low or high. As a beer leaguer, I prefer to shoot low, as I am finding for the most part guys are less nimble with their legs than they are their arms at this level. This is why I have stuck with the p88 or p09, but may try a 14 myself sometime. Personally I think my perfect curve doesn't exist retail (p09, p88 mix), so I tend to prefer the 09 on Defense and 88 on forward.

I use my backhand a good amount (Usually shoot out dangles) as I tend to like to split the d and dangle a lot.

I usually shoot low glove or snipe a corner with the occasional 5-hole, I'm in the middle, I usually take whatever I can see is open after reading the goalie a bit

Thanks for your feedback, I generally use junior sticks in 50 flex. If I use an intermidiate I have to cut it down and it ends up about 75 flex (Too much). I'm thinking I wanna try a 1x or apx2 p14 for my game stick and an possibly another apx2 (p88) or maybe an rbz stage 2 (nug-hops curve) as my back up stick. I've always been a Bauer guy for everything, but I'm getting into ccm sticks a little bit so I would prefer to have a Bauer or ccm stick. I'm also looking at a nexus 1000 or 8000 as a back up stick to.

Thank you so much - Halen

Okay you only use 50 Flex and you're 100 pounds? I'm 5'2 90 lb. and I flex my 1X (67 cut down to 87) just fine. Also, I'm twelve and will be thirteen in the summer.

I agree a low-kick stick but an int stick is too much flex, I like a shorter stick for stickhandeling and dangling so I find juniors work a lot better. I find no need for the extra reach.

Thanks for your opinion though -Halen

Okay you only use 50 Flex and you're 100 pounds? I'm 5'2 90 lb. and I flex my 1X (67 cut down to 87) just fine. Also, I'm twelve and will be thirteen in the summer.

I wanna start with : I could probably use 67 flex, that's what's reccomended for me but I like my sticks whippy. I find I get a lot faster and accurate wrist shot off with a whippy stick. I don't fit the qualities of a stiffer stick so I tend to use a whippier stick. I'm considering making the move up to a 60 flex int stick though. I really think it will be too stiff for me though.

Btw - The best flex for any player is half their weight, so you must be amazingly strong for your age. You should be using around 45-50 flex too.

What do you excel in? It must be slapshot? You must not be the best stickhandeler if you like a extremely stiff stick

Thanks for your opinion

-Halen

Half your weight is just a general starting point. Stick length player height kick point and shooting technique all come into play.

Don't think P28 is available in your flex but could be wrong. That knocks out one of them. And if you're getting two sticks, get one in a P14/P46 curve and one in a P88/P40 curve. You'll only figure out which you like better after playing with each for an extended period of time. I initially loved how I shot with my p14, but eventually learned how to get (nearly) as good a wrist shot out of my P88 and it's an easier curve for me to pass and take wristers with. If you wanna try a higher flex int stick, you could also get your backup as a higher flex and leave it maybe 2" taller for you to grow into/get used to a little stiffer flex in practice.

Jxck, 67 flex cut to 87 seems awful stiff for a 90 pound player. Great if you can actually use it well, and it makes some sense if you're ripping a good number of slappers. But for a guy who takes wristers all the time, I think OP would be served best for the next year or two with a 50-55 flex as his primary stick.

You must not be the best stickhandeler if you like a extremely stiff stick

A lot of great stickhandlers prefer stiffer sticks. It's more about what you're used to and how well your body can predict how hard to push the puck back and forth without losing it and and without looking at it. For some, stiffer is better in that regard.

Thanks for your opinion

I love this! I've never seen or heard this before, gonna start using it :)

Don't think P28 is available in your flex but could be wrong. That knocks out one of them. And if you're getting two sticks, get one in a P14/P46 curve and one in a P88/P40 curve. You'll only figure out which you like better after playing with each for an extended period of time. I initially loved how I shot with my p14, but eventually learned how to get (nearly) as good a wrist shot out of my P88 and it's an easier curve for me to pass and take wristers with. If you wanna try a higher fle

x int stick, you could also get your backup as a higher flex and leave it maybe 2" taller for you to grow into/get used to a little stiffer flex in practice.

Jxck, 67 flex cut to 87 seems awful stiff for a 90 pound player. Great if you can actually use it well, and it makes some sense if you're ripping a good number of slappers. But for a guy who takes wristers all the time, I think OP would be served best for the next year or two with a 50-55 flex as his primary stick.

This is my plan :

Game stick - Bauer Vapor 1x - P14 - Junior - 50 flex

Backup stick - Bauer Nexus 1000 - P88 - Intermediate - 60 flex (The 1000 and 8000 are both top of the line sticks and about the same price, but I've heard better things and like the 1000 better)

Extra stick - CCM RBZ stage 2 - Nugget-Hopkins curve - Intermediate - 60 flex

-I like to keep an extra stick just in case it needed. Never can be too safe.

Thanks for all your help - Halen

Don't think P28 is available in your flex but could be wrong. That knocks out one of them. And if you're getting two sticks, get one in a P14/P46 curve and one in a P88/P40 curve. You'll only figure out which you like better after playing with each for an extended period of time. I initially loved how I shot with my p14, but eventually learned how to get (nearly) as good a wrist shot out of my P88 and it's an easier curve for me to pass and take wristers with. If you wanna try a higher flex int stick, you could also get your backup as a higher flex and leave it maybe 2" taller for you to grow into/get used to a little stiffer flex in practice.

I agree a low-kick stick but an int stick is too much flex, I like a shorter stick for stickhandeling and dangling so I find juniors work a lot better. I find no need for the extra reach.

Thanks for your opinion though -Halen

I wanna start with : I could probably use 67 flex, that's what's reccomended for me but I like my sticks whippy. I find I get a lot faster and accurate wrist shot off with a whippy stick. I don't fit the qualities of a stiffer stick so I tend to use a whippier stick. I'm considering making the move up to a 60 flex int stick though. I really think it will be too stiff for me though.

Btw - The best flex for any player is half their weight, so you must be amazingly strong for your age. You should be using around 45-50 flex too.

What do you excel in? It must be slapshot? You must not be the best stickhandeler if you like a extremely stiff stick

Thanks for your opinion

-Halen

I take lots of slappers and snappers. I'm not insanely strong I just use my dominant hand on bottom which flexes the stick better. Also, I have pretty good hands. It's really all preference. Shea Weber has like no torque on his stick, and fyi before you guys ask, I play center.

I do have pretty good wrist shots too, I think think this all goes back to when I started hockey with the old ass Dolomites my dad cut down that were 100 flex haha, I was using those things at age 4-5 lmao. I'm just used to stiffer sticks. And Halen get a 60 Flex MX3. I had that prior to the 1X and it is very whippy. It is a slight slower release but it's very powerful. To be honest I think I prefered the MX3, but I don't want to break it again.

I take lots of slappers and snappers. I'm not insanely strong I just use my dominant hand on bottom which flexes the stick better. Also, I have pretty good hands. It's really all preference. Shea Weber has like no torque on his stick, and fyi before you guys ask, I play center.

I do have pretty good wrist shots too, I think think this all goes back to when I started hockey with the old ass Dolomites my dad cut down that were 100 flex haha, I was using those things at age 4-5 lmao. I'm just used to stiffer sticks. And Halen get a 60 Flex MX3. I had that prior to the 1X and it is very whippy. It is a slight slower release but it's very powerful. To be honest I think I prefered the MX3, but I don't want to break it again.

I don't get it, 90 flex for a 90 pounder

Oh and I don't like higher kick sticks