Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baloo1987

Skates | Easton Mako 2 or Bauer 1X ? or other ?

Hi everybody !

Last year I broke my pair of Easton Mako skates during my last training (the whole support of blade was removed from the boot and it broke the entire boot!!).

So now I have to try new ones and actually I went in a shop yesterday where they only have Bauer and Warrior in Switzerland.

I tried MX3 (awful comfort), Nexus 8000 (wayyyy too large) and 1X.

1X were really good. The comfort is good, I tried the new "sole" and it's nice. The thing is that I don't feel as good as I was in my Mako 1.

My foot and my skate was like merged and maked only one piece. With the 1X I feel like I have a bit of empty space above my foot.

On the other side, my Mako 1 had a life expectancy of a year and a half and for this price I don't want to have the same problem with the mako 2...

Anyone has an opinion ? has a longterm review of Mako 2 ? or 1X ?

I still need to try CCM Jet Speed too anyone has an advice ?

Thanks for your help,

Balou

I have been using the Mako 2 since January. Even though I am 0.5-1.0 sizes too big, I still love it, and get around the ice reasonably well, considering how little I have played over the course of my lifetime (I am 39, been playing since August 2013, and only really 1 year experience previous).

I am in a size 10.0 EE, which I could barely get into unbaked. Anything smaller, I could not get into, unbaked, it was like a joke. Now, I feel like I have way too much room between the tips of my toes and the inside of the toe cap, but it does not seem to be messing me up too much.

Oh, and comfort, pffffft- like you ave observed, these things are like tennis shoes- absolutely love them. May try to size down, but we will see. I could not see wearing anything else, unless I could find a pro stock Mako II with +1 stiffness.

Well the 1X is really comfortable and if the Mako 2 is like the first... I don't want spend that much money for only one and half season !

From the IW product description page of the Mako 2 under the Specs tab:

• Upgraded material in the heel (compared to previous Mako)
    • Increased durability and responsiveness
  • Upgraded strategic soft foam ankle pads
    • Redesigned to eliminate the original "Mako Bumps"

I have read about the issues some people have had with the original Makos as well as the "Mako Bumps" on the ankles, but Easton seems to have addressed both with the Mako 2. They upgraded the composite material in the heel and the padding in the ankles.

I still picked up original Makos a couple months ago on clearance and I'm glad I did because they fit me better than any skate I've worn in the past (the only skate that comes close is the KOR Shift 1, but the Mako edges the out because it has better wrap and an ergonomic toe box). I haven't had any ankle or durability issues yet and hope they last as long as possible, but if they do die on me in a year and a half the Mako 2 skates that fit the same, but addressed those issues should be on clearance because Easton will likely have a new skate in 2016.

Despite the fact that your original Makos died on you, I'd actually do what flyers10 suggested and try to find a pair in your size on clearance. They'll be about half the price of the Mako 2 and then you can buy the Mako 2 on clearance in a year and a half. Alternatively, you could buy the Mako 2 now, but going the clearance route you'll have two skates instead of one for around the same cost. If the original Mako boots break again, you'll still have extra holders and steel and will also get more life out of the Mako 2's because you'll start using them later.

The Mako line fits you better than the 1X - fit is key and you should buy the skates that fit you better. Yes, it's too bad the original Makos died early on you, but Easton did upgrade the Mako 2 to address issues people were having (they released the Mako 2 only 1 year after the original Mako rather than using the usual 2 year product cycle. This was likely because more than a few people were having issues with the originals. The Mako 2 is still the current skate and won't be replaced until 2016; so it appears their attempts to address the issues were successful).

Thanks to all of you for yours answers.

Yeah I read that they upgrade the quality and the resistance. I will try the Mako 2 again this saturday and let you know what I will do.

and like z1ggy say "Fit can't be beat"... :)

Everyone here discusses the pro's of the Mako 2's, but not one person has mentioned the obvious negative. The boot is incredibly soft, inside and out. I have heard countless claims from people who take one puck, whether it be a hard pass or a shot, off the foot and they can't walk for days. Should also mention I have demoed them myself and found this out first hand. If all you're worried about is comfort in the skate then by all means, but if you're looking for solid protection I would urge you to keep looking.

I haven't been hit in the foot hard with a puck yet, however; they fit my feet so well that if protection was an issue I'd look at buying shot blockers as opposed to another skate that may not fit as well, but is more protective.

Yeah the boot look soft but I think I would rather a comfortable skate and add a protection than have a stiff boot unconfortable.

I have to try mako 2 this weekend and let you know :)

Everyone here discusses the pro's of the Mako 2's, but not one person has mentioned the obvious negative. The boot is incredibly soft, inside and out. I have heard countless claims from people who take one puck, whether it be a hard pass or a shot, off the foot and they can't walk for days. Should also mention I have demoed them myself and found this out first hand. If all you're worried about is comfort in the skate then by all means, but if you're looking for solid protection I would urge you to keep looking.

I don't buy skates for protection. That's what shot blockers are for.

Thats true a good fitting skate is worth some sacrifices. Plenty of ways to customize skates to fit better; i.e. heat molding, punching, stretching, inserts. No doubt you will find them comfortable!

I don't buy skates for protection. That's what shot blockers are for.

well you're a goalie soooo..... No one wears shot blockers for an entire game either. At the very most they're on to kill a penalty, and even then it's mens league so no one is blocking shots. My point is that I would rather buy a pair of skates that are a bit more rigid and mold them or punch them to better fit my feet. Just my opinion.

well you're a goalie soooo..... besides no one wears shot blockers for an entire game. No one wears shot blockers for an entire game either. At the very most they're on to kill a penalty, and even then it's mens league so no one is blocking shots. My point is that I would rather buy a pair of skates that are a bit more rigid and mold them or punch them to better fit my feet. Just my opinion.

I play goal AND skate out sooo....

Also, where on earth do you get the impression that nobody wears them for an entire game?

I would rather buy skates that fit and are comfortable. Yes, there is a lot of options to try to make a skate fit better but I'd personally rather have something that fits from the start. I bought 5-6 pairs of skates in two years and spent god knows how much on getting them punched, re-baked, different insoles, etc trying to find something that wasn't painful to skate in. In the end I just bought a pair of Makos and have had no reason to look back. If I want protection, again, that's what shot blockers were created for.

well you're a goalie soooo..... No one wears shot blockers for an entire game either. At the very most they're on to kill a penalty, and even then it's mens league so no one is blocking shots. My point is that I would rather buy a pair of skates that are a bit more rigid and mold them or punch them to better fit my feet. Just my opinion.

What? I wear shot blockers for an entire game... Every time I go on the ice I wear them, too many times I've been pegged on the laces and had foot pain for months for me to not spend the extra minute it takes to put them on.

What? I wear shot blockers for an entire game... Every time I go on the ice I wear them, too many times I've been pegged on the laces and had foot pain for months for me to not spend the extra minute it takes to put them on.

I just have not seen them often is what I mean, and especially outside of professional, college, or junior leagues. No one was a bit of an exaggeration. OptimusReim I have never had to pay for re-baking or punching and any other little modifications, but I can see that adding up fairly quickly. Most equipment retailers, at least that I have been to, have never charged for anything aside from inserts. Baloo1987 also did say that the 1x skates felt comfortable, but mentioned some little aspects that often go away after a skate has been broken in and worn for a while. At the moment you put the skate on it's as stiff as it will ever be. From that point forward it breaks in and forms to your foot. Just something else to keep in mind!

I just have not seen them often is what I mean, and especially outside of professional, college, or junior leagues. No one was a bit of an exaggeration. OptimusReim I have never had to pay for re-baking or punching and any other little modifications, but I can see that adding up fairly quickly. Most equipment retailers, at least that I have been to, have never charged for anything aside from inserts. Baloo1987 also did say that the 1x skates felt comfortable, but mentioned some little aspects that often go away after a skate has been broken in and worn for a while. At the moment you put the skate on it's as stiff as it will ever be. From that point forward it breaks in and forms to your foot. Just something else to keep in mind!

Yea, it just doesn't make sense for me. I'd much prefer something that fits well right away without buying a skate that isn't comfortable with the hope that it might be possible to make it comfortable later. Like I said earlier, I don't buy skates for protection.

Yeah like you said maybe after couples of hours on the ice the skate will fit perfectly... But I think they will never fit like Mako's. Mako's first gen was like a sport shoe. My whole feet was perfectly covered by the boot. In 1X it was like there was a small empty space over my toes and when you have spent two years with a sport shoe it's not the same ^^ after I have to try both of them plus the Jetspeed of CCM :) thanks to all again for your help

Yeah like you said maybe after couples of hours on the ice the skate will fit perfectly... But I think they will never fit like Mako's. Mako's first gen was like a sport shoe. My whole feet was perfectly covered by the boot. In 1X it was like there was a small empty space over my toes and when you have spent two years with a sport shoe it's not the same ^^ after I have to try both of them plus the Jetspeed of CCM :) thanks to all again for your help

If you end up with a skate that fits overall best for you but has a bit extra empty space over your toes try the Powerfoot inserts. They work well in my MX3s and I came from Makos & VHs.

If you end up with a skate that fits overall best for you but has a bit extra empty space over your toes try the Powerfoot inserts. They work well in my MX3s and I came from Makos & VHs.

Aw sounds good I didn't know that ! I will try to find them and see the price thanks !

If you go Mako 1, then figure there is about a 65% chance you will need to wear something like EZeeFits (link below), to prevent the "Mako bumps" (chafing of the skin behind and above the outside ankles, due to a glitch in development that allowed the gel to leave the compartment that it was supposed to be in, or go too low into the area it was supposed to sit in- I do not know the exact details, but Easton has owned the issue and fixed in 2nd gen Makos. It is kind of annoying to have to wear these things, and then if one forgets them, then one pays the price. So, I would just go M7 if it was my $400, and not have to deal with the inconvenience):

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=EZ2MMN

I blocked a hard saucer pass right in the middle of the inside of the boot, and it did not really hurt. It throbbed a bit for 15 minutes, and then was fine. Post game, no sign of damage. I also took a similarly hard saucer pass right off the bolt that connect tendon guard to boot. It left a bump for 2 months, nothing broke, but the bump sidelined me for 2 weeks because it was just in a bad spot for skating. Had I been wearing my SkateFenders, then I would have been fine.

Since that time, I have been wearing SkateFenders- those 2 little scares were enough. I am a beer leaguer and am 100% certain that a hard shot off of either of those areas would have been especially damaging. I want to stay healthy above all else, and SkateFenders (or ShotBlockers, which seem better) keep my state of mind right.

Yeah well actually I want good skates who will stay alive more than two season. I know skate defenders and stuff like that it can be an add. Now I have to try 1X with this Powerfoot inserts and the mako 2. I don't think I will go on the first Mako skates.