Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UCMnumber8

Which should I go with...?

So I kind of hit a crossroads here, and it's been a decision I've been wrestling with for a while. I can't seem to figure out whether I should play inline hockey for my college (University of Central Missouri, DIII, GPCIHL), or play beer league at the local ice rink.

To give you an idea of where I was and am now, I got off to quite a late start in my hockey career. I took up inline hockey my sophomore year in high school, and by some miracle, managed to do ok. At the same time, my senior year, I took up ice hockey recreationally (drop-in mostly). I had no aspirations of trying out for the high school ice team (I probably wouldn't have made it out of day one of tryouts..), so I wanted to develop my skills somewhat. When I got to college, I was disappointed to learn we didn't have a hockey team. I sought options, and I got an opportunity at the start of the second semester.

I ended up joining a newly formed team at the local ice rink. While I had a lot to learn about ice, I figured my skills from inline would at least carry over, even if it was just C-level beer league. I did well, not at the top of the scoring charts, but not dead last (I think my best season was 2 goals and 4 assists). I left the team to join a reincarnation of the UCM hockey team. It wasn't the best venture. Since we had no practice facility, teammates from various backgrounds, and a non-existent head coach, we struggled. And we lost a lot. It got very discouraging...

So this brings me to my question: should I go for ice or inline? This seems like an easy question, I know, but it's hard on me. I mean, hockey is hockey, no matter on ice or sport court/concrete/inline surface, and my love for the game reflects that statement. I had a lot of fun being the rookie when I played ice, the new guy in a room full of experienced players, coming so close to winning a championship in the following summer season I played in.. I also had a lot of fun playing college inline hockey. Granted, we took a lot of bad with the first couple of seasons (disorganized team meetings, no real leadership, bad reputation on campus, team fights; both verbal and physical, so many hours travelling), but there was good as well (team dinners and subsequently getting thrown out of the restaurant, road trips to St. Louis and Kansas State University, getting loaded in the hotel room the night before training camp at K-State, hours of NHL '14 and '15, a sense of camaraderie among ambitious college kids, and general college shenanigans).

I have no idea what to do, so I turn to you guys. Which hockey should I go with?

Too long; didn't read version: I can't decide if I'm best for ice or inline. Thanks guys.

So this brings me to my question: should I go for ice or inline? This seems like an easy question, I know, but it's hard on me. I mean, hockey is hockey, no matter on ice or sport court/concrete/inline surface, and my love for the game reflects that statement. I had a lot of fun being the rookie when I played ice, the new guy in a room full of experienced players, coming so close to winning a championship in the following summer season I played in.. I also had a lot of fun playing college inline hockey. Granted, we took a lot of bad with the first couple of seasons (disorganized team meetings, no real leadership, bad reputation on campus, team fights; both verbal and physical, so many hours travelling), but there was good as well (team dinners and subsequently getting thrown out of the restaurant, road trips to St. Louis and Kansas State University, getting loaded in the hotel room the night before training camp at K-State, hours of NHL '14 and '15, a sense of camaraderie among ambitious college kids, and general college shenanigans).

you have your whole life to play beer league ice hockey. You only have 4 years to play college club roller. I played college club ice and it was some of the best times i have had. We were disorganized as well and it caused the school to cut the team by my junior year (it was only around for 3 years). Best 2 years of hockey as far as fun went. Team parties, getting a good buzz on before games sometimes life long friendships. Plus I'm sure there is open hockey and pick ups you can go to if you want to play a little ice too.

Yeah seriously dude, you can do beer league any time. You'll be out of college in no time at all, you might regret not doing it later. Beer league ain't going anywhere, it'll be there when you're done with the college team.