Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

CCM Speedburner

First off I'd like to thank CCM and JR/MSH for the opportunity to do this long term review.

I play mid level adult league ice hockey 1-2 times a week and coach as well. This is summer, so I'm down to once a week. I'm also coming off a rotor cuff strain/sprain, so it may be another couple of weeks before I can really put this stick through it's paces shooting wise. I've started skating again, but shooting is somewhat painful and slap shots are pretty much out of the question right now.

Review Stick: CCM RBZ Speedburner grip 85 flex P29/Crosby curve LH

CCM20002_zpsgz7suqu9.jpg

Blade face

CCM20004_zpszloow5py.jpg

Initial impression: The first thing you notice is the red paint job. it's bold without being over the top. It's reminiscent of the red Titan ASD sticks from the 1990's. The look of the stick definitely does it's job. This stick won't be mistaken for a Bauer, Easton or Warrior offering. Stick weight seemed average- not heavy or light. Weighs in at 425 grams on my postage scale

CCM%20006_zpsvvsluxlm.jpg

The stick feels decently balanced, and the flex is the normal "feels slightly stiffer than rated" CCM 85 flex. The blade feels very stiff, and won't flex in my hands. The grip coating is just right- not too "grippy". There is a slight texture to the grip- if you look closely you can see tiny raised dots of grip. The P29 curve is to my eye anyway, identical to the H11A (Sakic) blade pattern. I'm presently using a Ribcor (pro stock 11K repaint) and they appear to be the same. I'm looking forward to getting this out on the ice.

I've used this stick a few times since my initial post. My shoulder is at a point now where i can actually take the occasional slap shot, so I can offer some feedback on this stick. The variable kick point is a cool feature. Basically wherever your bottom hand is, that's where the stick kicks. I've found it to be very forgiving on those opportunistic shots that pop up when you may not be fully "set". I've found the blade to be lively, but not uncontrollable when receiving passes. Through four pick up sessions there is no notable wear of damage.

Skated last night, using the Speedburner as well as my 11K repaint. Switching back and forth, it's really noticeable how lively the blade is on the Speedburner. The blade construction was designed primarily for shooting performance, and while it succeeds in that respect there is a performance price to be paid on the puck feel/stick handling front. While not a deal breaker, if you are looking for a stick with a forgiving blade this isn't it. If you are primarily a slapshot/snapshot one timer shooter it's certainly worth a look. Again no noticeable wear or tear. I'm playing in a tournament next week so this stick will get some heavier use and abuse.

I've used the six more times since my last update. Four of those games were a fairly competitive tournament. Structurally and cosmetically this stick has held up very well, with only minor nicks and scratches. While the variable kick point shaft does offer some flexibility, I'm finding I have to have my bottom hand in a consistent location to get a decent slap shot off. The sweet spot of the blade also seems to be slightly less forgiving than the 11K and several other sticks I've used. With that said, velocity is outstanding if you do your part form wise.

Played another half dozen games and two pick ups. Still going strong, even cosmetically. The way this stick loves slap shots and the durability make it an excellent choice for D guys.

Still chugging away with this stick. Holding up well to wear and tear. No major issues. Shaft and blade still feel the same as when I started.

Used this stick a couple nights in a row on my backyard rink just shooting for an hour or so. Mostly slappers. Shaft shows no sign of whipping out. Some chips in the red blade paint over the last few months ,but appears to be cosmetic . Stick has held up well. I do tape all the way to the toe, so I'm sure that helps. Tuuk20001_zpsp99qr1wp.jpg