Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JAG

APX2 vs MX3 vs Nexus 8000 protective gear?

Hey all,

I'm in the market for some new protective gear, as my current gear is about 15 years old. Right now, I'm particularly looking at shins and elbow pads. Can someone explain the differences between these Bauer models? And why does Bauer make so many different types? They probably highlight specific criteria, no?

As the title suggests, I'm looking at their 3 main models, the APX2, MX3, and Nexus 8000. If anyone has an idea of what makes these different from each other, and why one would be better than the other for specific purposes, I'd greatly appreciate any input/advice you may have.

I'm also comparing them with the Ultra Tacks, and Tacks 6052 lines... if that helps.

Thanks guys,

Joe

ETA: I have read through most of the catalogue previews, as well as descriptions on the gear from some websites, but I'm just not clear on the differences, or why one would choose one over the other.

The differences are in the catalogs, all I can say is try them on to see what feels best, Try on other brands too, you never know. I see so many who have a mission to buy a certain brand protective piece, who end up with something totally different because it fit better and the features were better for them.

+1 for what jimmy said. Last week I had someone try on every current top of the line elbow pad I had (Bauer, Easton, Warrior, Rbk, CCM) and guess what he chose, a pair of old stock Easton SE16's I had sitting in the corner out the back (I suggested them because I could see he was not happy with the 10 or so pairs he had just tried on) - as the guy said, "these will do because they fit me the best and feel right."

Thanks for the advice.

I was planning on trying on all the major brands, but I was wondering why manufactures (like bauer and CCM) have several lines of models. Like, is one designed for forwards, one for D-men, etc...

In general the way Bauer set up the three different protective lines is as follows:

Vapor: tapered (snug in some areas while loose in others)

Supreme: anatomical/contoured (supposed to hug the body--less negative space, etc)

Nexus: Traditional/High Volume fit (with a little more coverage/protection versus the other 2 lines)

Don't focus on a specific brand cause the pro uses it, your friends use it, cool brand,etc. Focus on best fit and comfort with the protection level for your needs. Try on everything.

In general the way Bauer set up the three different protective lines is as follows:

Vapor: tapered (snug in some areas while loose in others)

Supreme: anatomical/contoured (supposed to hug the body--less negative space, etc)

Nexus: Traditional/High Volume fit (with a little more coverage/protection versus the other 2 lines)

Boom! that's what I was looking for. Thanks dude!

Flyers10 - As I mentioned above, I plan on trying on everything. I have no brand loyalty. I just care about getting the gear that suits me best. Thanks!

Just following up here.

For shin guards, I tried on Bauer APX2, MX3, Nexus 1000, CCM Ultra Tacks, Tacks 6052, RBZ, and a pair of Eastons I didn't like.

I went with the APX2's because of their fit. They were the type of fit I wanted (tapered), and they had the most protection out of all the pads. A close second were the CCM Ultra Tacks.

For Elbow pads, I hated the Ultra Tacks, but ended up going with the Tacks 6052. They fit great, and offered the next best protection for that style elbow pad. A close second were the APX2's. The RBZ's felt great, but I didn't think the protection was on par for what I was looking for.

Thanks to everyone who gave input.