Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wsoldier

New skates to replace Easton S17

Hey all,

I've have my Easton S17's for a few years (which I totally love) and I'm noticing they're starting to flex more in the boot than I remember. I was looking at the CCM Tacks 2014s, but those are way too expensive at the moment.

Does anyone have good recommendations for a similar skate? Stiffness, comfort, and durability are my priorities.

Thanks!

I find that a good first skate to try would be the Bauer Supreme line (or even the CCM Jetspeed line that came out) as I find the anatomical ankles are closest in the Supreme. You will have to likely drop down a half size or so though, so don't just get the same size as you have in Easton.

Thanks. I tried out the Supreme 180's today and they felt good, but unfortunately my right foot is a bit wider and I wasn't confident baking would loosen them up enough.

I also tried the Jetspeed 300's which felt okay but felt a little pressure around the ankle. I might have to try the Tacks next time.

Thanks. I tried out the Supreme 180's today and they felt good, but unfortunately my right foot is a bit wider and I wasn't confident baking would loosen them up enough.

I also tried the Jetspeed 300's which felt okay but felt a little pressure around the ankle. I might have to try the Tacks next time.

Yeah the Tacks is a bit wider than both, but did you try either the Supreme or Jetspeed in EE width? Ankle pressure isn't a big deal given that you will need to heat mold them. The Stealths from before (let's just forget about RS for a bit) were very wide in the forefoot and narrow in the heel. I'm a former Stealth (S15) user and I transitioned to RBZ. Supreme would've been another choice. You should also consider the tremendously versatile Mako and Mako II skates as well.

I didn't try the EE since I thought it'd be too wide on my narrower foot (which fit the 180 perfectly), but I suppose I should. I wish I could remember how my S17's felt before I baked them since I know I had this problem last time. For the Supremes the pressure on my wider foot was along the side of the foot and not in the ankle, so would baking actually help with that too?

I'll look at the Mako's even though I think they're ugly, but what are your thoughts on the RBZ? There's still some in stock for clearance price down in my area.

Thanks!

You might get a little width from baking. You might need to bake AND punch to get the supremes to feel right.

I find that a good first skate to try would be the Bauer Supreme line (or even the CCM Jetspeed line that came out) as I find the anatomical ankles are closest in the Supreme. You will have to likely drop down a half size or so though, so don't just get the same size as you have in Easton.

I went from Easton S15's (best skates I have ever had) to the Bauer NXG (edge holders) With both skates the same size 9.5D.

What about CCM Ribcore, I've seen them at really good prices, never used them so don't have an opinion on them but they look like good skates.

I went from Easton S15's (best skates I have ever had) to the Bauer NXG (edge holders) With both skates the same size 9.5D.

What about CCM Ribcore, I've seen them at really good prices, never used them so don't have an opinion on them but they look like good skates.

They are nice skates; built well. They don't fit much like the other 2 you mentioned though, but that's not to say you definitely won't fit into them.

I didn't try the EE since I thought it'd be too wide on my narrower foot (which fit the 180 perfectly), but I suppose I should. I wish I could remember how my S17's felt before I baked them since I know I had this problem last time. For the Supremes the pressure on my wider foot was along the side of the foot and not in the ankle, so would baking actually help with that too?

I'll look at the Mako's even though I think they're ugly, but what are your thoughts on the RBZ? There's still some in stock for clearance price down in my area.

Thanks!

Try both widths and keep in mind that it's always better to go for a little tighter vs a little bit too wide/roomy since skates can expand but not contract.

I have a lengthy review thread on the RBZs under this name in another forum, but I am not allowed to provide a link on this thread. Long story short, it's a very comfy skate for me with great performance, but not as durable as a comparable Bauer model.

I used to wear S17's. They had the best heel lock for my feet and I haven't found anything comprable until the new CCM Ribcors. I haven't skated on them yet but just trying them on, the heel lock is the best I've found (for my feet). Last years Reebok Ribcors didn't fit the same way so you'll want to try them both if you're considering them. The CCM Ribcors are narrower than the S17's though (even in EE).

S17 W user ....tried jetspeeds 9EE yesterday ...felt good ..need 8,5EE. though...... unbaked too cramped in forefoot section ...after 8,5 EEarrives I will bake and report

S17 W user ....tried jetspeeds 9EE yesterday ...felt good ..need 8,5EE. though...... unbaked too cramped in forefoot section ...after 8,5 EEarrives I will bake and report

I tried the Jetspeeds too but they didn't feel very good. What size were your S17?